Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Will anything be open in BKK on King's Birthday?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2006, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM

I plan on being in Bangkok on December 5 in the middle of a multiple-night stay. What should I expect on this day? Should I extend my trip by a day in preparation for nothing being open, or will the city (and its businesses) treat it as a normal day? Many thanks in advance.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by The Truth Commission
I plan on being in Bangkok on December 5 in the middle of a multiple-night stay. What should I expect on this day? Should I extend my trip by a day in preparation for nothing being open, or will the city (and its businesses) treat it as a normal day? Many thanks in advance.
Think of like a Sunday:
Most shops, shopping centers & restaurants will be open.
Transportation will be running normally: taxis, trains, subway, river boats, etc.
Most tours and tourist attractions will be open as usual.
But banks, schools and government offices will all be closed.
The naughty bars may be closed, maybe not.

Around 7:30 PM in the evening, there will be candle-light ceremonies in the parks and in other public locations, such as in front of the large hotels.
These are nothing much to see: just a lot of people standing outside, holding candles, and watching a TV broadcast of some high-ranking politician giving a speech in Thai.

Overall, there is no reason to adjust your trip schedule for the King's Birthday in Thailand.

-- Peter
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be traveling with my wife, infant son, and perhaps a co-worker, so this shouldn't affect us too much, then.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to add one point, this day is also celebrated as Father's Day (the King being the father of the country), so many Thais will be spending time with their families, and paying respect to their fathers. Restaurants can be pretty busy.

One thing to try and watch, and follow-up on in the English-speaking newspapers the next day, is the King's Speech (maybe given the night before?). Last year's was quite interesting, especially given the turn of events recently in Thailand.

Since 5 December 2006 (2549) is a Tuesday I'd expect that that Monday will also be declared a government/bank/school holiday, although that might not happen until a few weeks/days before? Also, expect travel from Bangkok to the provinces v.v., via bus and plane, to be quite hectic for the period 1 - 7 December.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:52 pm

Ask the touts, they will take you to places that are open.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:30 pm

Programs: aa
Originally Posted by glob99
Ask the touts, they will take you to places that are open.
The touts know all!!!!

we are arriving Dec 4th at like 1145 pm, is the airport and taxi lines just going to be a huge mess with all the people coming in?
Old Oct 12, 2006, 7:35 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by travelinterpreters
we are arriving Dec 4th at like 1145 pm, is the airport and taxi lines just going to be a huge mess with all the people coming in?
Late evening is when many of the long distance international flights arrive, so it's usually a mess in any case.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
In past years, when I have been in Bangkok on December 5, the bars (even the non-naughty ones) were not serving alcohol in observance of the birthday of HM the King. I seem to remember hearing recently that the royal family gave the OK to allow alcohol sale on their birthdays. So this year's birthday commemorations may be a bit spicier than in past years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.