Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bangkok - Best place to change US cash to baht?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2006, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....

Hi all,

I need to change around US$3000-4000 (cash - in US$100 bills)to Thai baht in the next few days. Given that amount, where can I get the best exchange rate?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions -
Michael
Old Jun 15, 2006, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 2MM Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, and EVA Gold soon
Originally Posted by Michael
Hi all,

I need to change around US$3000-4000 (cash - in US$100 bills)to Thai baht in the next few days. Given that amount, where can I get the best exchange rate?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions -
Michael
If you are near the Nana skytrain station, I suggest you go to Vasu travel and money exchange. They always have the best rates in the area. They are located on the corner of Soi 7 and Sukhumvit, right below the skytrain station. The front of the business is a travel agency and in the back to your left is the money exchange.
Highly recommend them. ^ I've been there and have seen large transactions.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:49 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
SUPERRICH near Big C Ratchadamri (World Trade Center)

Best rate by far in town...

Cash only... no TCs

There are several companies with the same name... but everyone knows the right place to go
Old Jun 15, 2006, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by seanthepilot

Cash only... no TCs

There are several companies with the same name... but everyone knows the right place to go
I went there on a recent trip with a friend who also said they had the best rate, but got a better rate at Vasu instead. Maybe it was that day only... give them both a try and let us know.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by seanthepilot

Cash only... no TCs

I can confirm this information too.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much to all for the suggestions. I"ll try to check them both out -- though Vasu is closer to where I am, and I may not have the time to check out Superrich on this trip.

Michael
Old Jun 16, 2006, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looked like today's rates (100 dollar bill) were:

Bangkok Bank 37.96
Vasu 38.20
Superrich 38.10

BTW, Vasu is on the corner of Sukhumvit Road and Sukhumvit Soi 7/1, which is different than soi 7.

I'd be interested to hear how the OP got on with his exchange. You often hear about how plentiful counterfeit 100's are in Cambodia (used to pay English teachers), but then I know a few who've never had a problem exchanging them here for baht. Maybe that was just circa 1996 bills?
Old Jun 16, 2006, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by transpac

Bangkok Bank 37.96
Vasu 38.20
Superrich 38.10

BTW, Vasu is on the corner of Sukhumvit Road and Sukhumvit Soi 7/1, which is different than soi 7.
I stand corrected, thanks transpac.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Bangkok Bank 37.96
Vasu 38.20
Superrich 38.10

I never made it to Superrich, so I'm happy to hear that Vasu (where I went to change money) was in fact the highest rate.

FWIW, I checked the rates for various banks (Siam City Bank, Bank of Ayudhya, Krung Thai, etc.) online, and all were within .01-.02 of each other. However, I happened to wander by a Kasikorn (formerly Thai Farmers) Bank branch, and they were offering 38.01 -- still not as good as Vasu or Superrich, but higher than the other banks.

I'd be interested to hear how the OP got on with his exchange. You often hear about how plentiful counterfeit 100's are in Cambodia (used to pay English teachers), but then I know a few who've never had a problem exchanging them here for baht. Maybe that was just circa 1996 bills?
I actually haven't run into too many counterfeit bills in Cambodia. I think this is due in part to the fact that the bills are harder to falsify now.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

Michael
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:20 pm

That Superrich has the best rates is easy to proof. The spread between buying and selling US$ is 15 Stang. For Euros it is even only 10 Stang.
Superrich is way the best bargain if you for example want to change Euros into US$ or reverse. No bank (not even in Hong Kong) will give you a rate close to that. The disadvantage is that you have to carry cash.
If anyone is interrested, I have a scanned namecard. It seems I can't attach pics here, so please PM me with email. I doubt that Vasu has better rates. It might have been due to rate fluctuation on the same day. I will check that out next time in BKK.

Last edited by HKtraveller; Jun 25, 2006 at 11:26 pm
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, I noticed Vasu was closed yesterday (Sunday), but there was a UOB portable (mini-van) money-changing van parked right in front (Soi 7/1). Obviously they're not giving rates nearly as good, but they must know Vasu is closed on Sundays, and hope to catch a lot of extra customers.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HKtraveller
That Superrich has the best rates is easy to proof. The spread between buying and selling US$ is 15 Stang....
FWIW, I believe the spread at Vasu on the day I went to change USD was only 7 satang...

I still haven't checked out Superrich, but am interested to do so at some point in the future.

- Michael
Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:49 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Michael
FWIW, I believe the spread at Vasu on the day I went to change USD was only 7 satang...

I still haven't checked out Superrich, but am interested to do so at some point in the future.

- Michael
Having been to Superrich several times I have seen the spread on $/baht as low as 7 baht but generally 10 or 15 bht, still much lower than any bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.