Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how are visa days counted?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2006, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Angry how are visa days counted?

This is a huge issue I can't seem to find an answer for.

Thailand allows us entry for 30 days. I'm not sure if my arrnagments are counted as 30 or 31.

We leave the US july 4th, get to japan for one day, then go on to thailand.

We arrive in TL on july 6, and leave aug 5th.

A bit hard to explain, so bear with me here:
If we count jul 6th to aug5th we are there technically 30 days - 30x24hr periods basically.

HOWEVER if you count EVERY DAY we are actually there in the country its 31 days.

An easy example would be does today to tomorrow count as two days, or justone 24 hr period.

I can't seem to find an answer and I'd hate to be denied boarding for this! No idea what to do!
Old May 27, 2006, 3:35 pm

Why use the angry-face if you don't know the answer?

Perhaps you were just being prescient. If you enter on July 6th, the entry stamp on your passport will be marked "Admitted until August 4." (Source: a recent entry stamp on my passport.)

Not sure what they do if you overstay your welcome, but denying you boarding seems a bit ironic.
Old May 27, 2006, 3:45 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Visa days are counted on an "every date" basis. Even if you get stamped in at 23:55 on June 3rd, June 3rd will be counted as a full day. The obvious thing to do in a case like this is to hang back, take it slow, take an extra bathroom break or otherwise kill some time until it's past midnight. This is only adviseable when you're within 30 mins of midnight.

BTW - according to the signs posted at BKK during my last arrival earlier this month, the first day of an overstay is not a problem, and not subject to a fine. The second day costs you 1000 THB and each subsequent day costs 500 more.

So you're safe with your plans either way. Otherwise, I would recommend taking a visa run to Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia - AirAsia usually has some great fares and KL is a fun city to be in. Plus (relatively) cheap hotels. Since you've left the Kingdom, you get a new visa for a full 30 days when you check back in. This works just as well at any land border or port, and there is a whole "visa-run" industry out there. They do runs to Myanmar, Cambodia (expensive) and, of course, Malaysia. You could also consider a quick flight to Singapore, since SIN-BKK is well served by LCCs.

PM me for details if you like.
Old May 27, 2006, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wideman
Why use the angry-face if you don't know the answer?

Perhaps you were just being prescient. If you enter on July 6th, the entry stamp on your passport will be marked "Admitted until August 4." (Source: a recent entry stamp on my passport.)

Not sure what they do if you overstay your welcome, but denying you boarding seems a bit ironic.
I used the angry face cos I spent the prior 2 hrs on the phone with various people and got no answer.. If i read it right now your answer and the other answer, are each a bit different. One, it's ok, the other not.

We arrive at 5pm so that wait till midnight plan is out.

Maybe best to get a longer visa here in the US before?

Last edited by dennisbarton; May 27, 2006 at 4:29 pm
Old May 27, 2006, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wideman
If you enter on July 6th, the entry stamp on your passport will be marked "Admitted until August 4." (Source: a recent entry stamp on my passport.)
Did you actually arrive on this exact date?

If so I guess that's the definitve answer..

Maybe best to get a 60 day visa.
Old May 27, 2006, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by dennisbarton
Maybe best to get a 60 day visa.
OK, I just got out my passport, and here's the deal:

Arr: 25 March 05 Permitted until: 23 April 05

Arr: 06 May 05 Permitted until: 04 June 05

Arr: 12 Aug 05 Permitted until: 10 September 05

Arr: 17 Aug 05 Permitted until: 19 August 05

Arr: 06 May 06 Permitted until: 04 June 06

30 days in every case.

But still, don't bother with the visa - as I said, an overstay of one day will not result in a penalty. The airlines could really care less, and if they ask, tell them you'll be crossing overland into Cambodia on your trip, that you're going to Angkor Wat. That will be enough for them, provided they even bother to check.

And if you really feel unsure about it, leave Thailand at some point during your stay.
Old May 27, 2006, 11:39 pm
Suspended

as EVERYONE is saying, your first day of overstay is free.
Old May 28, 2006, 3:11 am

There's one side to this that y'all are forgetting though: while what you describe may well be true for Immigration, the problem is that overstaying is in itself a crime and, if you're picked up by the police before you get to the airport, then you're in deep doo-doo. Tales of Asia has more to say on the subject:

http://talesofasia.com/thailand-overstay.htm

If you don't want to go to KL or wherever, you can probably get a visa extension in Bangkok and enjoy a free sightseeing tour of Thai bureaucracy in action.
Old May 28, 2006, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is probably easiest and best to obtain a 60 day tourist visa from the closest Thai Embassy/Royal Consul General . (Note that you do not have to use the closest; the Houston Consul is particularly helpful and responsive.) These cost $25 and allow a single entry, they can be extended for another 30 days in country, for a fee. A "visa on arrival", a 30-day stamp, cannot be extended in country as far as I know.

I asked a similar question regarding my 91st day, or a 1 day overstay on my one-year multiple entry Non-Immigrant B visa, and was advised that even though a one-day overstay is normally waived, it is really best to stay within the rules.

AFAIK the stamps do get changed, but not precisely at midnight.

The OP's itinerary as described would involve a 1 day overstay.
Old May 28, 2006, 11:37 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alex0683de
BTW - according to the signs posted at BKK during my last arrival earlier this month, the first day of an overstay is not a problem, and not subject to a fine. The second day costs you 1000 THB and each subsequent day costs 500 more.
It used to be 200 THB per day...inflation?
Old May 28, 2006, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Savage25
It used to be 200 THB per day...inflation?
They probably realized that to most tourists 200 THB is a joke.
Old May 29, 2006, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upon further reflection and investigation I would strongly recommend that the OP get a 60 day tourist visa in the U.S.A. prior to departing for Thailand. In addition to the issues raised already, many of which are relatively minor, and could probably be addressed by a 500 THB fine at most, I would point out that some carriers occasionally deny boarding to passengers going to Thailand who appear to have an itinerary that includes an over-stay. This usually happens only with PAX on a one-way ticket, but having a valid visa (60-day tourist) in the OP's case would remove this as a potential issue. Again, the odds of having any significant problems are one in a million, but obtaining the 60 day tourist visa seems like an easyway to safeguard against any undue stress?
Old May 29, 2006, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
Upon further reflection and investigation I would strongly recommend that the OP get a 60 day tourist visa in the U.S.A. prior to departing for Thailand.
I guess my question now is how long does it take to get a visa. We are away from home, so will only have a week to get it done!

(We can go to LA office in person.)
Old May 29, 2006, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess my question now is how long does it take to get a visa. We are away from home, so will only have a week to get it done!

(We can go to LA office in person.)
Two days at most, in person, but maybe ring them to check on the typical process. In any event one week would be more than sufficient. If you are in the U.S.A. now you could of course send your passport off for the visa now, and if you are outside the U.S.A. check for a local Thai Royal Embassy or Consulate where you could likely get a visa in a day or two. I sent (FedEx) my passport to the Thai Royal Consulate in Houston on a Monday. I received my passport back (I paid for FedEx both ways) back on Wednesday (two days later).

edited to add some more information: The Thai Royal Consulate in Los Angeles has their own webpage:

http://thai-la.net/index.htm

Under "Processing Time" it says: "Apply in person at the consulate / walk-in visa Applications are usually processed at least 1 business day provided all of the required document is completed. (Apply between 9.00 a.m. – 11.30 a.m. and pick up passport and visa the next business day between 10.30 a.m. – 12.00 p.m.) Same-day-service is not permitted."

And in the FAQ I noticed the following:

"I plan to visit other countries around Thailand and I plan to be in Thailand for less than 30 days. However, my airline ticket shows more than 30 days in Thailand. Do I need to apply for a visa?

Yes. If your airline ticket shows more than 30 days in Thailand, you must apply for the visa before entering Thailand even if you plan to obtain an airline or rail ticket to a third country upon arrival in Thailand. If your airline ticket shows more than 30 days in Thailand and you leave without a visa to Thailand, there is a very good chance that the airline could refuse to allow you to board until you obtain a Thai visa."

Last edited by transpac; May 29, 2006 at 9:46 pm
Old May 31, 2006, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K, AA CK
This is a huge issue I can't seem to find an answer for.

Thailand allows us entry for 30 days. I'm not sure if my arrnagments are counted as 30 or 31.

We leave the US july 4th, get to japan for one day, then go on to thailand.

We arrive in TL on july 6, and leave aug 5th.

A bit hard to explain, so bear with me here:
If we count jul 6th to aug5th we are there technically 30 days - 30x24hr periods basically.

HOWEVER if you count EVERY DAY we are actually there in the country its 31 days.

An easy example would be does today to tomorrow count as two days, or justone 24 hr period.

I can't seem to find an answer and I'd hate to be denied boarding for this! No idea what to do!
You can apply for an extension of stay in Thialand. You will recieve 10 extra days for 1900 baht. Go to the Thai immigration office in Bangkok or whatever town you are in. You will need 1 passport size photo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.