Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who knows BKK airport?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2006, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Some good, some bad
Thanks to everyone. I am once again amazed by the knowledge here. I plan to book something later today. Cheers.
Old May 14, 2006, 9:02 am
17-a

One other short-cut--- NEED A CAB?

If you ever stay in BKK and are not in transit---

After exiting customs, pass the 700 to 900 Baht taxi people with their clip boards, (and whatever you do, don't make eye contact with them) and also don't even look at the taxi line out side arrivals---go directly upstairs to departures and hail a cab--- 200 to 300 hundred Baht will get you anywhere in BKK--- Some cabs won't pick you up, and would rather sit in the cue, I guess, but most will- Some don't want to activate the meter from that location, but 300 max will get the taxi moving---

"Now sit back and relax and enjoy your TED flight"!
Whoops, wrong speach---
You ain't gonna relax during this ride, I can guarantee you that much!

Old May 14, 2006, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 17-a
One other short-cut--- NEED A CAB?

If you ever stay in BKK and are not in transit---

After exiting customs, pass the 700 to 900 Baht taxi people with their clip boards, (and whatever you do, don't make eye contact with them) and also don't even look at the taxi line out side arrivals---go directly upstairs to departures and hail a cab--- 200 to 300 hundred Baht will get you anywhere in BKK--- Some cabs won't pick you up, and would rather sit in the cue, I guess, but most will- Some don't want to activate the meter from that location, but 300 max will get the taxi moving---

"Now sit back and relax and enjoy your TED flight"!
Whoops, wrong speach---
You ain't gonna relax during this ride, I can guarantee you that much!
Your taxi recommendation has been mentioned here, and in several other forums, many, many times, but a reminder is probably due. For a while BKK taxi threads were popping up weekly, with no shortage of recommendations. After ~ 75 trips from BKK to town I still prefer to use the 'official' taxi booth on the lower, or Arrivals, level, if only for a slightly added measure of security. (Yes, it does cost 50 THB extra.) I'll check the length of the line from inside the terminal, and if it's longer than say 10 people I will head upstairs (one level, but two escalators) to the Departures level and take one of the taxis waiting there. I just go with 300 THB (no meter, but darn little tip, maybe 20 baht or a round-up), exclusive of any tolls, which is about what I pay anyway (inclusive of the 50 baht service charge, and a decent tip). These taxis are more or less "illegal" (standard cabs, red/blue; green/yellow; or single color - but by "illegal" I mean that they are probably not supposed to wait and pick up passengers on that level), they may have dropped off a passenger or just hang out there. I assume they have to pay a "fee" to the policemen standing nearby?

For heavy domestic travel days, say at the end of a holiday period or long weekend, the taxi queue from the domestic terminal, on either level, can be huge, one hour or more for the wait. What to do? Walk to the International Terminal and get a taxi there. Or walk directly out of any terminal, crossing various access roads and parking lots, to Viphawadi Rangsit Road and hail a taxi (done locally with arm extended below the waist, while wiggling the hand) heading to the left (your side of the road), or south-ish towards Bangkok center. It's also the custom to inquire about your destination, and the driver's willingness to take you, by opening one of the passenger side doors, and mentioning your destination and the word "meter". If it's raining, market forces prevail.
Old May 17, 2006, 12:46 pm

Did the BKK-USM having just gotten off a flight from Hanoi last March. It did take us 65 minutes before we got to the BKK Airways counter in the Domestic side. Our bags were the last ones that came in off the Hanoi flights though and it was the first time usual trial and error thing for finding and using the long hall like walkways that connect the int and domestic terminals. By the time we checkin and got our boarding pass, it was only 45 min left before departure (don't know when they normally close the counter as the tickets do state to check in 1 hour before flight). It was a close call. 2 hours layover for first timers is cutting it close but doable. Hanoi flight was using a small plane. We would have to wait a lot longer if it was a packed 747. Somebody has to be the last one to get the bags...and it was us on that trip.
Old May 18, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Commuter Train or Bus from Airport?

Originally Posted by transpac
Or walk directly out of any terminal, crossing various access roads and parking lots, to Viphawadi Rangsit Road and hail a taxi (done locally with arm extended below the waist, while wiggling the hand) heading to the left (your side of the road), or south-ish towards Bangkok center.
On my last arrival at BKK two years ago, I took the airport shuttle bus. It was painfully slow because it went to the other terminal to wait for more riders to load -- all the while waiting in the hot sun with no AC.

I could see that an elevated train line was then under construction, but was not yet complete to BKK airport. Is that it option now for arrivals with carry-on backpacks only?

Two years ago, the Let's Go travel guide for SE Asia said, "The easiest way to get into town (from the BKK airport) is by train, which has a terminal across the street from the airport." That was not true when the book was published because the train did not exist. Is it true now?
Old May 19, 2006, 7:28 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Originally Posted by Bowgie
...Two years ago, the Let's Go travel guide for SE Asia said, "The easiest way to get into town (from the BKK airport) is by train, which has a terminal across the street from the airport." That was not true when the book was published because the train did not exist. Is it true now?
Let's Go was talking about the regular train, as in choo-choo, not the BTS. Here's the schedule (look under Northern or Northeastern lines) for Don Muang.

The general ground transportation info for BKK is here.
Old May 19, 2006, 7:40 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Originally Posted by transpac
For heavy domestic travel days, say at the end of a holiday period or long weekend, the taxi queue from the domestic terminal, on either level, can be huge, one hour or more for the wait. What to do? Walk to the International Terminal and get a taxi there. ...
Just to note that often at the domestic terminal you will find yourself going "backwards" in the queue as locals grab an arriving taxi before it formally can queue for new passengers.

The solution is as transpac says. Go to the International terminal (or to the road). If you have a lot of luggage and you're lucky, the free, airport terminal to terminal shuttle bus will be right there. Otherwise, if you don't want to walk at ground level in the pleasant Bangkok climate, go upstairs and walk in the air con corridor. There used to be a free golf cart shuttle in the corridor, though I don't know if it still is operating.
Old May 19, 2006, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bowgie
I could see that an elevated train line was then under construction, but was not yet complete to BKK airport. Is that it option now for arrivals with carry-on backpacks only?
The Hopewell elevated line -- also known, for obvious reasons, as the Hopeless line -- is not only not under construction, but actively under destruction.

On the upside, they're actively building a KL-style express rail link to the new BKK. The link was supposed to open in 2007, but is highly likely to be delayed to 2008. There are also plans to extend the link all the way to Don Muang (the current BKK) at some point, but I'm not sure what the status of this is; construction certainly hasn't started yet.

Two years ago, the Let's Go travel guide for SE Asia said, "The easiest way to get into town (from the BKK airport) is by train, which has a terminal across the street from the airport." That was not true when the book was published because the train did not exist. Is it true now?
No, there has been an ordinary, non-elevated, commuter train running past the airport for close to 100 years now, it's part of the Bangkok-Ayutthaya main line. However, trains are in poor condition, run infrequently and go to Hualamphong station, which isn't particularly convenient for much tourists.
Old May 21, 2006, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA CO DL
bkk taxi's

knowing both...taxi and airport bus....the bus is much safer....taxi drivers have no sense of fear..they drive faster to make more money....the airport bus has three routes...so easy to find one that goes where you want. 100 baht now.
three close calls in taxi's....never on the bus.

also...the tunnel to the general aviation terminal...is on the mezzanine level of terminal two....by the 7-11 store. great place to buy juices and beer if you are thirsty. 24 hours.
Old May 22, 2006, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
They can check your bags all the way to Koh Samui as long as you show them you have an eticket printed out ??? who says you have to clear customs in BKK ????thats not correct at all. You do it in Koh Samui as when you check in at the transit desk at BKK ,they mark your ticket as a transit passenger and then give you a sticker to put on your shirt. When you have checked in go back upstairs and enjoy the lounge its free to all passengers on Bangkok Airways.When you get off in Koh Samui you are met by an agent waving a board with your name on it,who takes you on a little private disneyland type bus and they clear you there. You only pay the fee when you leave. It makes zero sense to clear customs in BKK. And also you can use the Bangkok airways lounge in the aiport as well, right in the central part near the China Airline and SQ lounges. I sometimes wonder about the posts on this site

Last edited by Steve Fenton; May 24, 2006 at 2:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.