Search

Hotel Recommendations for Shanghai and Chiang Mai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:26 am
LAR
Original Poster

Hotel Recommendations for Shanghai and Chiang Mai

Hi,

Spending the weekend in Shanghai, Feb 18-20. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel - it's not on my dime so can spring for some $200/nt? (Grand Hyatt looks good.) Also any suggestions on how to get to/from Pudong Airport?

Finally, same questions for Chiang Mai. Will be there weekend of Feb 25-27.. Nice hotel recommendations and airport transfer tips?

Thanks very much!!
LAR
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:45 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
In Shanghai, I can recommend both the Shangri-La and the Hyatt. Both are on the river looking across to the Bund, both have nice service and good rooms. The choice between them for me boils down to where I need the points - GoldPassport or Golden Circle.

Hyatt.com will often come up with more competitive rates.

Edited to add that both will charge you a big chunk of change to transport you in a hotel car from PuDong airport.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 1:08 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
If you're landing Pudong and stay on Pudong side then I'll second the Shangri La ^ , near the Pudong side I've also stayed at Purple Mountain, St. Regis, and Sofitel. I would stay at any of them again but really Shangri La was the best in Pudong IMHO. Other ones in SH, Four Seasons, Westin, Portman Ritz, are all nice and I'd give ^

But really it depends where you will be working or want to stay, SH is a huge city. Does no good to have a nice hotel in Pudong if your working in Puxi or vice versa. Would probably help the more knowledgeable members here if you know the area you want or have to be in. For transporation I'll just Taxi (they no longer scare the hell out of me ) Kind of like amuesment park thrill rides and if you're worried about getting to the hotel you can download or the hotel will fax you their name / address / phone and a rough map in chinese that you can just hand to the driver.

For Chiang Mai depends what you're wanting to do in Thailand, but Westin was nice IMO. I can't remember the quote I got from the Four Seasons but I recall it was well over 200 night and more outside Chiang Mai and would only do that if the wife was with me.

ADD: Westin is the older name but it's a Sheraton.

Last edited by KosraeTV; Jan 14, 2005 at 1:19 am
Old Jan 14, 2005, 8:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
The FS should run about US$400/night. The new Mandarin Oriental has some introductory rates.

http://www.fourseasons.com/chiangmai...ons/index.html
http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hotel/555000001.asp
Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

i can only comment on shanghai.

by all means, stay in puxi. i used to live in lujiazui because i appreciated its san josesque feel, but if you actually want to engage the city, then you owe it to yourself to stay somewhere cool. with your budget, you should be able to get a nice room at the portman or a really nice room at the jw mariott. unlike others, i've never really been too impressed with the westin (which i believe is the most expensive hotel in town now) plus i don't like the location.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 4:18 pm

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 22, 2008 at 11:04 am
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:52 pm

Shanghai: Second Moondog's advice re staying in the Puxi side of the river, as opposed to the Pudong side. As to hotel, I recommend Four Seasons. The Bed & Breakfast rate on their website is USD 205 for week-ends and USD 229 weekdays. Beats Portman RC hands-down in ambience IMO.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Newburg
Shanghai: Second Moondog's advice re staying in the Puxi side of the river, as opposed to the Pudong side. As to hotel, I recommend Four Seasons. The Bed & Breakfast rate on their website is USD 205 for week-ends and USD 229 weekdays. Beats Portman RC hands-down in ambience IMO.
those rates are negotiable. if you like to work out, the portman is better.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:04 pm

Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai is a great city and reasonably priced if you stay away from the Inernational chains mentioned above-- I've booked into the ChiangMai Plaza Hotel-- around $40-50 US for a delux room with breakfast buffet, and it was a great spot. You might also look at Empress or Dusit's Royal princess-- both Thai mid upper chains that are centrally located.
My other thought is that I would give serious consideration to internet booking at least for Chiang Mai--
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:45 am
LAR
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips - Shanghai is now on hold but Chiang Mai is looking certain.

I can manage something close to US$200/nt in Chiang Mai. I'd like to go to as nice of a resort/hotel as possible in the price range. the Four Seasons seem to be something like $400/nt so clearly I wont be indulging there.

Greg: Thanks for your comments about non-Int'l chains.

I'm open to further suggestions considering my price range.

Thanks,
LAR
Old Jan 27, 2005, 3:09 am

Programs: Hyatt GP, Marriott reward, worldperk, six priority, radisson
Recommendation for Chiang Mai !!!!

Tammarind Village is good value to money approx. US$100++. You'll love the Northern Thai deco style with the temple ambience, walking distance to the most famous temple in Chiang Mai "Pra Singha Temple". There are only 40 units in Tammarind. Ratchamangkala is the new boutique hotel in town, only 29 units by the same designer of Tammarind. Price is much higher.

Chiang Mai Plaza, Rydges Tapae, Lotus are in the center of town, rate should be below US$40++ including ABF. These hotels are in the big building, no real feeling of being in Chiang Mai.

FS and new Mandarin Oriental Dara Dhevi are the most expensive hotels in Chiang Mai, but you'll also get the level of service you expected.

For me, I really like the Tammarind. Good Luck !!! ^
Old Feb 1, 2005, 6:47 am
LAR
Original Poster

Yes, I had finally settled on Tamarin only to discover that they are all booked up! Cant find Ratchamangkala on the web but like the idea of being central, upscale, but not in a big cookie cutter hotel...
Old Feb 1, 2005, 7:28 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel for the same weekend you mention when I booked it last week was only $60US per night. It is a cancelable rate too, if perhaps you decide to go elsewhere.

There is also a Flyertalk Do going on the same weekend, see: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195617

edited to correct hotel, hotel for $60 is Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel, not the marriott.

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Feb 1, 2005 at 7:48 pm
Old Feb 1, 2005, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
This was the Non-JW property in Shanghai.
nice place, but far out.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 7:49 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
nice place, but far out.
correction, the cheap hotel I intended to state was the Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel for $60US. Is this far out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.