Wiki Posts
Search

absolute BEST small hotels in Bangkok! - my list

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2005, 9:15 am
Original Poster

absolute BEST small hotels in Bangkok! - my list

Dear fellow travellers,

In an attempt to keep to the spirit of this forum, I will start compiling a list of what I deem to be the best small hotels in Bangkok.
These destinations are less known, off the beaten track and therefore an absolute must for those of us who prefer personal service and charming settings to 5 star grandeur. I welcome any addition to the list, once I receive your recommendations I will post them and hopefully bring more attention to these lesser known gems.

First some basic guidelines.
- At least 4 star quality (but not necessarily 4 star price!)
- Tasteful and personal - preferably owned and operated by owner
- Not affiliated with large hotel chains
- Have no more than 20 rooms, here goes...

1. Old Bangkok Inn
number of rooms: 8
URL: http://www.oldbangkokinn.com
Review: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...7&tid=34648990

2. Ibrik Resort
number of rooms: 3
URL: http://www.ibrikresort.com
Review: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...7&tid=34533319

3. chakrabongse villas
number of rooms: 3
URL: http://www.thaivillas.com/indexflash.html
Review: http://i-escape.com/hotel.php?sectio...otel_key=TH003

This is what I have so far, but with your help this list should not stop here.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:34 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

A great first post, thank you very much! I just booked three nights at the Old Bangkok Inn -- looks loveley.

Welcome to Flyertalk! ^
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL GM, CO, SWA
In with a bang

Well, you certainly came in with a bang! Welcome.

All these beautiful Inns make me want to book my trip NOW (but I have to wait until next year.

Now if I could only get my SO to agree to stay at one of these as he is a "Shangri La" kind of guy.

But thanks again for post. Have you stayed at all of these spots? If so, which was your favorite?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:02 pm

Ibrik

I've stayed at the Ibrik several times. It's out of the noise & hustle of downtown. The neighborhood is fantastic and the access to the river allows you to be anywhere in a short time. The riverside rooms are more appealing than the "moonlight" room. The only drawback is that it is difficult to get back to late at night - after the river taxis have stopped running. There are three fabulous restaurants within a minutes walk. By all means give the Ibrik a look.
Old Sep 1, 2005, 9:36 am

Reflections

Reflections! "Tasteful" isn't the first word that would come to mind for most visitors, but it certainly is "personal" and the service, while not obsequious, is great.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 5:14 am
Original Poster

my review

I'll try to list the differences for both Ibrik and Old Bangkok Inn (have not stayed at C. Villas just yet):

Location: Ibrik is near the financial district, not much to see around there but very convenient to hop onto the sky train. Old Bangkok Inn is in the historical district, alot to see or do via foot but not easy access to sky train & metro (although if one is adventurous river boat and canal speed boat is in walking distance)

Ambiance: Both are very new, Ibrik's architecture is more simple based on off-white tones and minimalistic designs whereas Old Bangkok is more elegant, alot of wood and details in the decorations

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 12:31 pm

Tell us more...

Ciao, thaiexpat. Can you give us any more info on the Old Bangkok Inn. I'm booked there at the beginning of Nov for three nights. My correspondence with them has been very sweet. I've stayed several times at the Ibrik on the river. It was sold out this trip so I've taken the OBI. Ringrazie.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Found this review of OBI from another guest in another forum.

We just enjoyed the Bangkok Inn for several nights... I highly, highly recommend it, especially since they only recently opened. This place is going to be booked solid, with a waiting list, within the year. It's that great, both in terms of service, atmosphere, value, comfort and uniqueness. We wanted to stay in our room all day and night, and we loved it that no one else was staying there, because our hostess was incredibly charming and could chat with us while we ate our breakfast.

Location in terms of access? It's within a block of democracy monument, which is central but not close to much public transit. Taxis are easy to catch, however- you would pay about 50 Baht to the skytrain and go from there. There is definitely at least one bus line in front of the place, we took it directly to Chinatown. Oh, and I didn't try it, but I did notice that several canals (Khlongs) intersect very close by, and there was a river taxi stop right there, so that's an option. OBI's website will tell you they are within walking distance of Khao San, but it wouldn't be all that short of a walk.

Originally Posted by chefdg1
Ciao, thaiexpat. Can you give us any more info on the Old Bangkok Inn. I'm booked there at the beginning of Nov for three nights. My correspondence with them has been very sweet. I've stayed several times at the Ibrik on the river. It was sold out this trip so I've taken the OBI. Ringrazie.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 8:49 am

Another reccomendation for Old Bangkok Inn, have spent several nights there with my wife, and if they keep up what they are doing right now in terms of a personal service this will be a popular spot for travellers seeking a quite and great small hotel.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Yes, as previously stated the personal service there really makes the Old Bangkok Inn stand out - the owners (mother and son team) operate the place themselves, and they are just so helpful. Ibrik's owner also is very involved, but apart from these two places I can think of other quality accomodations in Bkk that can replicate the personalized B&B experience.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:48 am
Original Poster

typo

Originally Posted by thaiexpat
Yes, as previously stated the personal service there really makes the Old Bangkok Inn stand out - the owners (mother and son team) operate the place themselves, and they are just so helpful. Ibrik's owner also is very involved, but apart from these two places I can think of other quality accomodations in Bkk that can replicate the personalized B&B experience.
Sorry for the typo, the sentence was supposed to read:

"I CAN'T think of other quality accomodations in Bkk that can replicate the personalized B&B experience"
Old Oct 12, 2005, 8:59 am

Programs: Skyclub lifetime, Priority Pass, HH Gold.
anybody like "The Atlanta" hotel in Sukhumvit Soi 2? I know it has quite a following... I know my mom just loved this place. It is on the budget side.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

atlanta

NWA kid,

the Atlanta is definitely one of the most architecturally charming & rustic hotels in Bangkok. But given its (large) size and age - I would still prefer my previous 3 picks.

Here is a good review of the Atlanta:

http://www.offtherails.com/atlanta.html
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:43 pm

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 22, 2008 at 10:57 am
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:48 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I would like to add another to your list:
The Silom-Serene: http://www.silom-serene.com/
I stayed there in May and it was really great value. Great location near all the action, but very peaceful once inside the hotel and out by the pool.
Very nice breakfast every morning as well.
I would highly recommend it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.