Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong and Shanghai over Christmas holidays

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Hong Kong and Shanghai over Christmas holidays

We are considering both cities over the holidays. Are there any special New Year celebrations on Dec 31? I understand the weather in Hong Kong should be fine. How about Shanghai mid/late December? Thank you!
Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:38 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bebop bonnie
We are considering both cities over the holidays. Are there any special New Year celebrations on Dec 31? I understand the weather in Hong Kong should be fine. How about Shanghai mid/late December? Thank you!
I was in both last December/January. In Hong Kong on Dec 31 and I don't recall there being any fireworks, although some hotels had special dinners/music/etc. It was also colder than I expected, but then last winter was a record breaker in most of China. Parents were taking children up to the Peak one particularly cold evening to pour water on the ground and watch it freeze.

In Shanghai right after that, early January. It was quite chilly at night (low 30s), but OK during the day (upper 40s/low-mid 50s). The problem with Shanghai at that time is the air quality is terrible as so much coal is burned for heating; smog is very bad as well.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
In Hong Kong on Dec 31 and I don't recall there being any fireworks, although some hotels had special dinners/music/etc.
Correct. Western New Year isn't really celebrated in HK (Or China generally). Obviously it's a busy night in Lan Kwai Fong (the expat bar area) but not much more than that.

Basic climate info here:
Shanghai: http://www.worldweather.org/001/c00240.htm
Hong Kong: http://www.worldweather.org/002/c00001.htm
Old Jun 30, 2005, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
There are some countdown parties around Hong Kong. In recent years, the biggest one is at Times Square in Causeway Bay. And there are usually plenty of people along the Tsimshatsui promenade - well except the most recent one where it was very cold, as mentioned above. I was at a smaller countdown party outside City Hall. The small crowd disappeared within a few minutes past midnight to find warmth...

Local teens tend to party more on Christmas Eve than New Year's Eve.

But Hong Kong always looks festive during the holiday season. Most major buildings have Christmas lights, and all stores decorated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.