Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

What to wear when studying abroad in Hong Kong?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.

I will be attending Hong Kong Baptist University as an exchange student starting in August. While I'm very excited, I'm nervous about something silly... my shoes. Since I'm from Florida, I have very few shoes that aren't flip-flops, and I understand that Americans are about the only people in the world who wear flip-flops on a regular basis (or so says my study abroad coordinator). My question is... as a 20-year-old college student, what other shoes do I wear? I have a pair of heels, but I need something that will be comfortable enough to wear every day, and with jeans.

Also, for those of you who have been there, is it true that it's the most expensive city in the world?

Thanks to anyone who can help me!

*Liz*
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Don't wear flip-flops.

Sneakers will be okay with jeans.

And whether Hong Kong is expensive depends on where you go. If you shop at Landmark or the ifc mall, or eat at the 5* hotels, then yes. But plenty of cheap eats everywhere in the city.

Transportation cost can add up, as there are no free transfers, but single ride on buses are often under US$1, and the subway <$1 if you don't cross the harbor, or a little more than $1 if you do. Last time I check, New York City subway and buses are $2 a ride. And the Star Ferry cost about 25 cents, so is the Hong Kong tramway...
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:46 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Study in HK - envious....

Rent is expensive in Hong Kong - Does your school arrange accomodation for you in Hong Kong?

Food and clothes are cheap if you avoid the high end stuff. If you find, after arriving, that you need to smarten up, you can buy what you need there... I can't imagine that Florida will be cheaper for clothes.

I'd advise you to wear something more "robust" than flip flops. I always feel like I've pounded the pavements quite heavily after a day in HK. Do you feel comfortable in sandals (with heel strap)? In the sticky heat of a Hong Kong summer, that might be better than enclosing your feet in a pair of Nikes. (Get some "elegant" sandals that you could wear in a more formal situation if needed - not Tevas!). Take your flip flops too, though. You'll want them if you spend time on the islands around HK... there are some OK beaches.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Reason why flip-flops are not good is that Hong Kong is a crowded place. You will get stepped on while riding the MTR during rush hour. The ground is also pretty dirty in crowded markets - like the Ladies' market in Mongkok at night. You need more protection.

I think if you're going to the beaches on the south side of HK Island, or to the outlying islands - Lantau, Lamma, etc - then sport sandals are fine.

And while it's safe for your toes to wear flip-flops around the campus of the Baptist U, it's not okay to wear them to class. Some - but not all - professors and lecturers may be more conservative, and won't appreciate if you dress too casually to his/her class.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 1:25 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Wear what others are wearing... I'm assuming business attire, but it'll be easy to pick up 'the vibe'. Independent is fine, but be in the same ballpark.
If no one else is wearing jeans... toss them. It'll be damn hot for them anyway.
Heels are probablly appropriate, and will be available and affordable too... sneakers fine too, but mix it up a bit.

AND HAVE FUN!
Old Jun 29, 2005, 2:27 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I'm assuming business attire
At Uni? I think not...

Stock up on the Hello Kitty accessories though if you want to fit in.

Last edited by christep; Jun 29, 2005 at 2:34 am
Old Jun 29, 2005, 3:01 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
there ya have it :P
Old Jun 29, 2005, 4:06 am

If the OP finds that she hasn't brought the right attire with her, are there any shops in HK where she'll be able to find something more suitable?
Old Jun 29, 2005, 4:21 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by dancergrrlliz
I have a pair of heels, but I need something that will be comfortable enough to wear every day, and with jeans.
A past girlfriend found black, square toe trainers to be the ticket. Comfortable, and they seem to match most things ....
Old Jun 29, 2005, 5:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wideman
If the OP finds that she hasn't brought the right attire with her, are there any shops in HK where she'll be able to find something more suitable?
Of course - unless she is unusually large - where do you think the locals buy their clothes?
Old Jun 29, 2005, 5:28 am
Suspended

Like some other posters here, I live in HKG as an Expat.
Sandels- sometimes, usually shoes though
Hello Kitty- For sure ...I can show you where to pick up some pink luggage
Clothing- I am sure you will adopt the capri pant and blouse look sported by most HKG Expats. What you own is probably fine, unless it is bright and garish.

Relax. You'll know within about 10 minutes of getting off the plane what is acceptable attire. Enjoy HKG
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by dancergrrlliz
and I understand that Americans are about the only people in the world who wear flip-flops on a regular basis (or so says my study abroad coordinator).
I would suggest that your study coordinator has never been to the tropics outside Florida, as cheapo flip-flops are the official footwear of most of Asia, Africa and South America (at least in the belt within 20 degrees of the equator). But context matters, if you need to dress to show respect then flip-flops are obviously out.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks...

I will be staying in the dorms at HKBU, so rent won't be an issue. I've heard you can eat pretty cheap from people who've gone in the past. I loooove shopping though, so I imagine I'll spend a lot in the time I'll be there. Also, for transportation, both my guidebooks and people who've studied there in the past advise getting the Octopus card. I don't remember if you save money but I know it's more convenient.

I've also heard that jeans are pretty acceptable for college students just about anywhere, though obviously if I'm going somewhere nice I would dress up more. And I hear the weather there is about the same as that in Florida (I know their typhoon season is the same as our hurricane season--ugh), so if I can do jeans here in July, I can do it there. It also says on the HKBU website for exchange students that girls don't typically wear shorts around campus, so I'll avoid that.

Is there any typical tourist faux pas that I should avoid? Other than wearing flip-flops?

Also, to mtacchi, I already bought pink luggage! :-D Pink's my favorite color and I wanted something that would be unmistakable when I'm getting my bags off the baggage claim. I was so excited when I found it!
Old Jun 29, 2005, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Monsoon Season? Its here now..Sun has been a rare commodity for the past month. Rain we have buckets full. A rude thing here would be to take off your sandles and put up your sandles and put up bare feet.

Octupus card..don't have one.. I imagine if I did I may come out slightly ahead, but that would require a plan whenever I leave my building..and I do so love cheap taxis..
Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Wow! mtacchi must be about the only person without an Octopus card. Very convenient for buses and MTR (subway) - also usuable in 7-11 stores and a few other places. Buses don't give change if you pay cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.