Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels Near Great Wall/PEK Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:54 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Hotels Near Great Wall/PEK Airport

Despite 2-3 trips a year to China, I've never been to Beijing nor have I seen the Great Wall. I fly into PEK on a Tuesday afternoon, have a brief meeting in PEK, and flying out the next afternoon at 4:30...Will I have time to see the wall? I don't need to spend a ton of time there--more or less 'just to see it so I can say I saw it', have someone take a photo of me next to it, and I'm outta there... Just killing a few hours between waking up and catching my late-afternoon flight.

Any hotel suggestions somewhere near the airport and the wall? I found the Crowne Plaza North Beijing, which is the best bet that I found. It appears to be about 1/2 hour from The Wall and 1/2 hour from PEK. I do not need to be in the city. Hotel website here: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/hd/pegcn?irs=y

Is it possible to do what I want to do in a day? (Rough schedule would be to leave hotel around 8...Arrive Wall around 9...Hour at the wall until 10...Back to hotel by 11)...Is this realistic? I was thinking of soliciting the hotel when I got there for travel options, but worse case, hire a cab--could I do it for under US$100?

Is there a better hotel suggestion? I try to save my company money when I can and can get a room there for around US$70/night, so I wouldn't really want to pay more--and I do prefer to stay in a Western-style chain like CP. I'm sure they'll be able to help me better once I get there to secure a trip out to the Wall, so not really worried about that.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2005, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
Despite 2-3 trips a year to China, I've never been to Beijing nor have I seen the Great Wall. I fly into PEK on a Tuesday afternoon, have a brief meeting in PEK, and flying out the next afternoon at 4:30...Will I have time to see the wall? I don't need to spend a ton of time there--more or less 'just to see it so I can say I saw it', have someone take a photo of me next to it, and I'm outta there... Just killing a few hours between waking up and catching my late-afternoon flight.

Any hotel suggestions somewhere near the airport and the wall? I found the Crowne Plaza North Beijing, which is the best bet that I found. It appears to be about 1/2 hour from The Wall and 1/2 hour from PEK. I do not need to be in the city. Hotel website here: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/hd/pegcn?irs=y

Is it possible to do what I want to do in a day? (Rough schedule would be to leave hotel around 8...Arrive Wall around 9...Hour at the wall until 10...Back to hotel by 11)...Is this realistic? I was thinking of soliciting the hotel when I got there for travel options, but worse case, hire a cab--could I do it for under US$100?

Is there a better hotel suggestion? I try to save my company money when I can and can get a room there for around US$70/night, so I wouldn't really want to pay more--and I do prefer to stay in a Western-style chain like CP. I'm sure they'll be able to help me better once I get there to secure a trip out to the Wall, so not really worried about that.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
before i even openned this thread, i was thinking crowne plaza as well, though i have to admit i've never been there. i've you want to stay closer to civilization, there's always the lido and, if on a budget, the rosedale.

that $100 is a bit on the high side. a simple phone call might help bring the rate down closer to sane levels (i can't imagine that the CP ever sells out.)
Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:37 am
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by moondog
before i even openned this thread, i was thinking crowne plaza as well, though i have to admit i've never been there. i've you want to stay closer to civilization, there's always the lido and, if on a budget, the rosedale.

that $100 is a bit on the high side. a simple phone call might help bring the rate down closer to sane levels (i can't imagine that the CP ever sells out.)
Thanks for the info Moondog...

No need to be closer to civilization, just there for one night, and other than the meeting, only interested in seeing the Wall on this trip. Should work out perfectly!

The $100 refers to the cab ride back and forth plus waiting time...I figure that's VERY high anyway, but that's as high as I'm budgeting for that. I did book the hotel and am in there at about US$65/night...Glad to hear in retrospect that my idea seems to be workable.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:47 am
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
Was surprised as I arrived to the hotel that the place is no longer a Crowne Plaza. Apparently, last week they dropped their affiliation (with no word from either the hotel or CP). However, I really think I'm only out a few UA miles, and couldn't be happier...The place is gorgeous. One of the nicer hotels I've stayed in Asia...Gorgeous room, nice lobby area and a very friendly and helpful staff. ^ ^

When I checked in, I explored the options of getting to the Wall, and opted for a hotel car with driver for RMB500.00...Surely within my anticipated budget, and get to do it a little more comfortably than what a taxi would have ran me. (The concierge figured a taxi would have been about RMB300, so for US$25 difference, it's worth it.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.