Search

Hotel advice for Cambodia and Bangkok needed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2005, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, SPG Plat., Hilton HH Gold
Hotel advice for Cambodia and Bangkok needed

Hi,

I will be travelling to Cambodia and Bangkok at the end of the month.

I will be going to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap first. So far I have booked the Raffles Hotel for both places. Any comments on the hotels? I know there are other good hotels in both citys (Interconti, Sofitel, ...).

I have not booked an hotel for BKK so far. Last time I stayed at the Royal Orchid Sheraton. The hotel was nice, but I think there a other good places around as well. I would like to stay at the river. Any comments on Peninsula, Oriental, Shangri-La, etc.

How about good restaurants (thai cuisine) in Bangkok?

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 10, 2005, 1:43 am

based on tripadviser.com input, we're planning to stay at the bkk peninsula.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I like the Interconti in PNH. You gotta check out the wine shop in the basement.

In BKK, the MO is tops.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 7:51 am

There are lots of discussions on the Westin, the SGS, and the ROS in the Starwood forum.
The Pen, the Shangri-La, and the MO as well as the *woods and several other hotels are extensively discussed at the Luxury Hotels forum.

My favourite is the Shangri-La but I'll probably try the Pen during my next trip.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 8:01 am

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
Raffles in both Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, and the Peninsula in BKK set the standard. Sofitel in REP is nice as well - huge pool.

Blue Elephant (BTS Surasak) in BKK is usually pretty reliable. We also enjoyed Spice Market (Four Seasons, BTS Ratchadamri) and Lan Na Thai (BTS Thong Lor). None of these restaurants are cheap by local standards, however. Thiptara (Peninsula) and Sala Rim Naam (Oriental) were just OK, IMHO.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP, Marriott reward, worldperk, six priority, radisson
Excellent hotels you chose already !!

Both Raffle are great !!! In BKK, agree with Penn. 2 more choice of Thai food in town : Celadon at Sukhothai and Erawan Tea room at the Grand Hyatt. The newest one is at the Grand Hyatt.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:32 pm

Programs: NWA Gold (ex-Plat), SPG, AMEX PLAT, DC
BKK Peninsula - Best in Town

I've been to BKK twice in the past few years and have always stayed at the Peninsula. From the hotel car available to pick you up at the airport (a Rolls, no less) to the gracious service to the large, gorgeous rooms...it is by far the best choice in town.

The only negative I can think of is location, since its across the river from the rest of the riverfront hotels (directly across from the Shangri-La); that's not really much of a downside given all the pluses of this property. There are also boats available to take you across the river if you wish.

I stayed at the Shangri-La years ago: the newer wing was nice, though the hotel lacks the serenity of the Peninsula. Haven't stayed at the Royal Orchid since it was upgraded few years back - I would imagine its a fine hotel, but can't imagine not staying at the Peninsula.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
I like staying at the Marriott Resort in BKK (used to be called Marriott Riverside).

The hotel is in great shape, and if you do not need to have immediate access to the city, you take a boat across the river from the hotel to where the skytrain is. I've stayed at the Shangri-La and enjoyed that as well.

The Victoria in Siem Reap is very nice, but I am sure your current choice will be great.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that the Pen in BKK is a great hotel, but have you ever stayed at the MO? It's a league above the Pen and generally rated as the best hotel in all of Asia.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 9:18 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
I completely agree that the Oriental is in a class of its own. It's a got a certain class and charm about it that neither the Shangri-La nor the Peninsula have. Plus, the fact that the Peninsula is on the "wrong side" of the river is a real drawback.

The best Thai dinner I've had in Bangkok was at the Spice Market which has already been mentioned. It's in the Four Seasons (ex- Regent). Simply fantastic!

The Oriental has a cooking school attached to it that you can attend if you have any spare time. It's a great introduction to Thai cuisine - especially the ingredients !

I have't been to Cambodia but I've heard wonderful things about both the Raffles properties from people who've stayed there.

Jon
Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, SPG Plat., Hilton HH Gold
Thanks for all you advices... Looks like I made a good choice with the Raffles in both PNH and REP.

For BKK I will try the Pen this time. The rate my travel agent was able to arrange is approx. 160€ for a Grand Deluxe Room incl. breakfast. I think this is a good price for this property...

Stayed at Royal Orch. Sheraton last time. This place is extremly cheap - compared to others I payed 75€ for a dbl. and got an upgrade to their biggest suite (SPG Plat.). Problem with the Sheraton, its far away from everything. Very much liked the spa of the RO Sheraton.

I'll try the Oriental next time - working my way up...

Thanks again!
Old Jun 12, 2005, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Gold
I haven't stayed at the above hotels - but have stayed multiple times in BKK at the Conrad, Sheraton Sumkhivit, and Sheraton Royal Orchid. I LOVE the Conrad and there are tons of posts in the Hilton section about the hotel. However, with that said, BKK seems to be the city of awesome hotels.

In Siem Reap I stayed at the Hotel Angkor Century which was clean, non-descript, inexpensive, and utilitarian - and several steps below the Raffles. We did attend the dinner and dancing show at the Raffles and that was very nice.

In Phenom Penh we stayed at the Hotel Cambodina. Massive place - also non descript, utilitarian, etc.

For Bangkok, someone mentioned the Blue Elephant for dinner. I'd also like to suggest if you have time to attend a cooking class there. I actually attended 5 days of classes there and found it to be one of the best (most useful) experiences in my life. I was able to "crack" the code to thai cooking and can now quickly and easily whip up thai-inspired curries and soups.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Smile

We loved the Peninsula in BKK. the MO just seemed way too pretentious (no shorts, sandals, etc.), even though it's very historic.

If you are out exploring BKK for the day and you come back dirty and sweaty (this is BKK, and it is quite steamy and filthy) you don't get disdainful looks.

that's just my take on it though - i dislike places that make you feel that you don't belong because you are too young or not dressed right or whatever. that being said, on one of my trips, we are going to get dressed up and head over to the MO for tea or cocktail....
Old Jun 12, 2005, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sunday Brunch at the BKK MO is amazing.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
My favourite BKK hotel/culinary experience is the outdoor riverside buffet dinner at the Oriental. And to start the evening in style, arrive by longtail boat.
--
13F

Last edited by Seat13F_AC_CRJ; Jun 12, 2005 at 7:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.