Wiki Posts
Search

Marijuana in Beijing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2005, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by miizzles
Do you also advise people not to partake in China's vast prostitution offerings? China is not Singapore or Indonesia. Money and connections are the only things that matter in China
I make no advice on that one way or another.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They will not shoot you for smoking a joint. They most likely will think its a hand rolled cig.

The cops have much more important things to do than bust a foreigner for smoking a joint. I don't smoke but I think you should have no problem finding it in Beijing, just as in any other large world city.

China is not going to shoot you in the head for anything like that, those who tell you otherwise haven't lived in China or been to China very often.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
I didn't get the PM, but are you suggesting that as long as you are less than a 100% complete moron, you're safe?
i would stand by a qualified version of that statement (nothing is absolutely certain).

what does this mean?
during the past 10 years, i've never once heard of a foreigner getting so much as a slap on the wrist for smoking hash (and i don't live in a bubble).
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
There are certain areas of Beijing where I smelt a little dope being smoked. If you look where you expect to find it, you will probably find it. Like someone else said it's no different from any other large city. You'd have to royally screw up to get in any trouble with the police.

Now Malaysia or Indonesia on the other hand...I would run away if I smelt any dope!
Old Jun 7, 2005, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by stimpy
There are certain areas of Beijing where I smelt a little dope being smoked. If you look where you expect to find it, you will probably find it. Like someone else said it's no different from any other large city. You'd have to royally screw up to get in any trouble with the police.

Now Malaysia or Indonesia on the other hand...I would run away if I smelt any dope!
I think most of us here would agree that it's not a good idea, now is it? In Thailand you can have sex with an 8 year old child and in China you can maybe find some drugs. But should you? AFAIK flyer talk has nothing to do with breaking laws in any country, so just don't do it.
IMHO
Old Jun 7, 2005, 8:44 am
dawei

First, you’d be foolish to try (not just because its China but because it’s a dangerous drug that has serious and well documented negative long term physical and mental health consequences) but if you are lucky the US consular officer will bring you McDonald’s and DVDs once a month while you are doing jail time. I have also heard that these same people will be taken into U.S. custody when they are done to face charges in the U.S. as well. Yes, I know for a fact that there are U.S. citizens doing time in Chinese jails for what would be a minor drug offense here.

On the up side you will have pretty good Chinese when you get out.

That said its pretty common in the expat community and for the most part, the maxim that if you aren’t involving local Chinese in your affairs, the po-po don’t care holds true. If you really want to score just look for where the Uyghurs hang out.

Old Jun 7, 2005, 8:56 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by BDLORD
...In Thailand you can have sex with an 8 year old child and in China you can maybe find some drugs. But should you? AFAIK flyer talk has nothing to do with breaking laws in any country, so just don't do it.
IMHO
Not the best analogy. There's quite a gulf between the morality of doing these two things, isn't there?
Old Jun 7, 2005, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by dhuey
Not the best analogy. There's quite a gulf between the morality of doing these two things, isn't there?
Just making a point that they are both really stupid.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your comments. I will keep most of them in mind when in Beijing. We can probably close out this thread as it is starting to get off topic.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
Just do it!
Old Jun 11, 2005, 9:17 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I encourage the OP to do this, and in public, and then find out what happens!

Be bold!

Duhhhh!!!!
Old Jun 11, 2005, 9:24 am

Try it! I love to see Natural Selection in action!
Old Jun 11, 2005, 9:37 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Kibison
Try it! I love to see Natural Selection in action!
A potential Darwin Award?
Old Jun 11, 2005, 11:52 am

Why does anyone care if he wants to smoke pot? Over half of all Americans have at least tried it.
Geez, give him a break and if you don't know the answer to his question don't waste the bandwidth.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 12:17 pm

Anyway, to answer the question, in case anyone else is interested

Go to the Sanlitun bar area, either the bar street itself or to the area in front of the KFC west of Sanlitun Bar Street, opposite the City Hotel. Most of the merchants are West African guys who hang around that area.

The other place to buy is from Uighurs (Muslim minority group from western China). There is a small alleyway full of Uighur kebab shops near Ganjiakou, in Haidian District. Hash (imported from Pakistan) sells for between US$20 and US$50 for a gram.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.