Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK airport - pseudo-transit!

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2005, 4:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gabes80
Incidentally, since I won't be the proud receipient of your SIMcard Moondog; which company did you go with? I'll be in Thailand for at least 3+ weeks, so it might be worth investing in one.
I bought an Orange card because I was in a rush to get downtown and they had a booth at the end of the arrivals chute (to buy other cards, I probably would have had to go upstairs to the shopping mall). I bought a card (b500, including b400 in air time) and the sales lady loaded it for me in less than 1 minute.

My friend who I traveled with had a card from one of the larger phone companies. My airtime was considerably cheaper than his, but he got slightly better coverage and has been able to keep his card active for over 3 years with only 2-3 trips to Thailand per year. My Orange card would have lasted as long as I kept loading it; they also sell kits that allow you to convert to a slightly more permanent card.
Old May 10, 2005, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/Plat, AS MPV
Originally Posted by moondog
I bought an Orange card because I was in a rush to get downtown and they had a booth at the end of the arrivals chute (to buy other cards, I probably would have had to go upstairs to the shopping mall). I bought a card (b500, including b400 in air time) and the sales lady loaded it for me in less than 1 minute.
Sweet, thx for the info! Hope ur trip to Thailand was a blast - from the anecdotes, it does sound memorable.

Although it won't be my first trip to Thailand, any other general tips would be appreciated.
Old May 10, 2005, 8:44 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Moondog!
YGPM
Old May 10, 2005, 1:26 pm

Sweet, thx for the info! Hope ur trip to Thailand was a blast - from the anecdotes, it does sound memorable.

Although it won't be my first trip to Thailand, any other general tips would be appreciated.
Here's a link to my trip report.
Old May 10, 2005, 3:38 pm

My friend who I traveled with had a card from one of the larger phone companies. My airtime was considerably cheaper than his, but he got slightly better coverage and has been able to keep his card active for over 3 years with only 2-3 trips to Thailand per year. My Orange card would have lasted as long as I kept loading it; they also sell kits that allow you to convert to a slightly more permanent card.
Just read today that in order to get a prepaid sim, one needs to complete a form. This is supposed to be because several terrorist explosions were detonated with prepaid cell phones.
Old May 10, 2005, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by KonaHi
Just read today that in order to get a prepaid sim, one needs to complete a form. This is supposed to be because several terrorist explosions were detonated with prepaid cell phones.
That does seem like a reasonable policy, given the threat. However, unless it was implemented within the past 7 days, I can personally affirm that it is not universally enforced.
Old May 17, 2005, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Just to round up the forum...

1. my friend decided to slum it out on one of the plastic green chairs... so despite the advice about going into BKK, she decided she'd stick around and hold up a sign for me so that we could catch the train in together!

2. I got a DTAC sim card, which is ้THB199, with THB50. Had better call rates than Orange, was like THB5 for first minute then 0.25 after that. Intl SMS's (my major concern) was only THB5.

Alas, I've lost my mobile phone.

So I'm gonna start a new forum....
Old May 17, 2005, 2:18 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
So after your train ride where did you end up in terms of accomodations?
Old May 18, 2005, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schoflyer
So after your train ride where did you end up in terms of accomodations?
Accomodation : on an overnight (VIP!) bus to a little outpost called Yasothon! Arrived at 0530, and hiked to our hotel - the JP Emerald, which, I quote is "the newest, most luxurious hotel" in the town. A steal at THB700 for the middle of nowhere!

We promptly bus-ed back to Bangkok after our business there was done. (sponsor child visit - I was the cameraman ) and we got a "studio apartment" at the Boss Tower. Considering we arrived at 0430 this morning, having this option was not a bad thing. But the location is quite out, and my friend with the 'financial constraints' may be leaving me.. so priceline, here I come

Last edited by gabes80; May 18, 2005 at 8:49 am
Old May 18, 2005, 8:39 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
On an overnight bus to a little outpost called Yasothon! Arrived at 0530, and hiked to our hotel - the JP Emerald, which, I quote is "the newest, most luxurious hotel" in the town. A steal at THB700 for the middle of nowhere!

We promptly bus-ed back to Bangkok after our business there was done. (sponsor child visit - I was the cameraman ) and we got a "studio apartment" at the Boss Tower. Considering we arrived at 0430 this morning, having this option was not a bad thing. But the location is out, and my friend with the 'financial constraints' may be leaving me.. so priceline, here I come
I was at a client just opposite Boss Tower last week...I've seen the rooms there - not all that bad, though the location is terrible. If you want to have the best Som Tam in that area, go into the little Soi accross the road and take the first left. The next parallel Soi in the direction of the traffic has a great Duck Noodle restaurant as well.
Old May 18, 2005, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Stick her in a cab, and get her sent to whichver hotel you're going to. Priceline.sg is wonderful as well. Ended up paying $60/night for a Five-Star last year in late August. FANTASTIC city, very safe. If she get in in the morning tell her to take a Cab to royal palace, or send her shopping or something. She'll be COMPLETELY safe!
Old May 18, 2005, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Wingman32
Stick her in a cab, and get her sent to whichver hotel you're going to. Priceline.sg is wonderful as well. Ended up paying $60/night for a Five-Star last year in late August. FANTASTIC city, very safe. If she get in in the morning tell her to take a Cab to royal palace, or send her shopping or something. She'll be COMPLETELY safe!
Unfortunately, it appears that she already spent a night on the chairs (just like my friend from the Phils did last week). Well, at least the OP got the arrival sign reception in the morning (I love it when my friends do that for me).
Old May 18, 2005, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Talking

Unfortunately, it appears that she already spent a night on the chairs (just like my friend from the Phils did last week). Well, at least the OP got the arrival sign reception in the morning (I love it when my friends do that for me).
Old May 18, 2005, 9:21 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Gabes80,

If she's looking for a safe guesthouse in a good neighbourhood. I can recommend one in the 350 baht range. The place I often stay is 2 doors down and has rooms for 170-250 and it's great too. Add another 250-300 for the cab and that's pretty cheap. Under $20US.

Now, you've got some pretty 'in the loop' Flyertalkers replying to your thread here. Great advice from every budget level. Hope it comes in handy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.