Search

Langkawi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2005, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Langkawi

Hi,

I am going to Langkawi in the summer and I was wondering if you had any suggestions for hotels in the 4-5* range. Currently we are considering the Langkawi Lagoon Resort it seems very nice, has anyone stayed there?

Any help is welcome

Many Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2005, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Just to add, does anyone know how much (approx) the return Y class flights Kuala Lumpur - Langkawi are in July
Old Apr 13, 2005, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Hi,

I am going to Langkawi in the summer and I was wondering if you had any suggestions for hotels in the 4-5* range. Currently we are considering the Langkawi Lagoon Resort it seems very nice, has anyone stayed there?

Any help is welcome

Many Thanks
Do you have any SPG status ? There are 2 Sheratons in Langkawi : Sheraton Perdana & Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort. Sheraton Perdana is the nicer of the two, and both resorts have some newly refurbished rooms.

If cost isnt a factor, go for The Datai which is the best hotel/resort in the country. The Andaman which is also managed by the same group is slightly cheaper.

Langkawi Lagoon Resort is fairly new and is located very close to the airport. I pass by this resort whenever I go to LGK but I have never stayed there. From the outside it looks nice with some buildings over the water. However, it also has a rather "open" concept without much greenery and also without the jungle/ rain forest etc in its near vicinity.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Just to add, does anyone know how much (approx) the return Y class flights Kuala Lumpur - Langkawi are in July
www.mas.com.my
www.airasia.com.my

Full fare Y on MH is appprox RM200 each way before taxes, but both MH and AK have some pretty good promotional fares.
Old May 14, 2005, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much for all your replies

Has anyone stayed at the Pelangi Beach Resort. I have heard good reviews, but their rooms look pretty sub standard

Thanks
Old May 15, 2005, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Just a bump - thanks for all your replies
Old May 16, 2005, 8:45 am

Has anyone stayed at the Pelangi Beach Resort. I have heard good reviews, but their rooms look pretty sub standard
Avoid. The pools are nice, but the rooms are crappy, the food is worse and it's inundated with Russian tour groups. 3-star at best.
Old May 18, 2005, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Avoid. The pools are nice, but the rooms are crappy, the food is worse and it's inundated with Russian tour groups. 3-star at best.
That Bad!!

The next one up in price is Sheraton Langkawi Beach resort and ive heard TERRIBLE reviews about that one.

The next one after that is the other Sheraton almost $60USD more per night.

I may just stay at the casa del mar then, althought its not ideal for families
Old May 18, 2005, 9:03 pm
Suspended

The next one after that is the other Sheraton almost $60USD more per night.
If you go to the Starwood website, you will find that they are currently having a "Stay 3 Pay 2" promotion for both the Sheratons in Langkawi.

If you want a nice room, the Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort has some nicely renovated rooms (with Sweet Sleeper Bed) but I am sure you have read about the other aspects of the resort that are not so appealing, which I wont repeat here.

Sheraton Perdana is quite a nice resort except for the beach which is not so great and could look "nasty" during low tides. Nice pools and gardens. All rooms are tastefully furnished and very bright (except Superior rooms); and the Seaview, Seafacing and Executive Suites have recently undergone a minor refurbishment.

I dont believe there is a "perfect" 4 star resort in Langkawi. All of them have their own shortfalls, and you cant avoid tour groups unless you stay at The Datai.
Old May 19, 2005, 3:41 am

I still go with my suggestion of the Pelangi Beach (Singapore forum) - the rooms are not 'crappy' neither are they up to the standard of a 5* resort- you will only get that at the Andaman or the Datai. The rooms are fine - they are basic wooden villas in the local style with wooden floors -clean with all the amenities aircon etc you need for a beach holiday and you are right on the beach if you get a seaview room. I didn't eat in the hotel very much - just a couple of lunches by the pool but it is just a few metres along the sand to the Casa del Mar , Beach Garden Resort, etc on Cenang Beach. have a look at the reviews(mixed!) of the hotel at the website through which I booked - www.asiahotels.com.
Old May 19, 2005, 5:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
the standard of a 5* resort- you will only get that at the Andaman or the Datai.
Actually, the deluxe rooms at the Andaman is not all that great and is not even as nice as the deluxe rooms at the Sheraton Perdana (If you want a nice room at the Andaman you have to go for the Executive Suite).However, the lobby and the setting at the Andaman is beautiful, and the beach is amongst the best in Langkawi.

On the Pelangi Beach Resort , I have visited the resort many years ago but have not stayed there since I wasnt impressed with the resort. The lobby is aweful, but the garden and beach is nice though not outstanding. I know of people who had a great time there but this resort is just not for me. But then I may be one of the very few travellers who wouldnt go to Majorca for a vacation
Old May 19, 2005, 5:36 am

There is also a newly-opened Four Seasons

Link
Old May 19, 2005, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Businessman
There is also a newly-opened Four Seasons

Link
That looks fantastic- however its not cheap!!
Mario I can't see what the comparison between the Pelangi and Mallorca might be. Having said that parts of Mallorca are very tranquil - not at all like the images of El Arenal in the 70s.
Old May 19, 2005, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Mario I can't see what the comparison between the Pelangi and Mallorca might be. Having said that parts of Mallorca are very tranquil - not at all like the images of El Arenal in the 70s.
Yes, I agree with you that Pelangi Beach Resort and Majorca are a world apart.

However, in a laidback island like Langkawi; Pantai Cenang with its restaurants, cafes and bars is the closest comparison in Langkawi to "Kuta" or "Patong". Given the popularity of the Pelangi Beach Resort with British tourists seeking "value for money" but comfortable vacation in Langkawi, it is about as "Majorca" as Langkawi can get, thankfully minus the "lager louts" (no offense intended to our British friends for the stereotype, fortunately Malaysia is attracting only the better breed of British tourist)

While many tourists to Langkawi are happy with the usual sun, sea, beach, beer vacation ; what I enjoy about Langkawi is the laidback atmosphere,the rainforest, the monkeys swinging from tree to tree, the exotic birds on the tree branch outside your balcony and the eagles flying above the sea with the mystical small islands in the background.

Since the OP will be vacationing in Langkawi with teenage kids who would probably be too bored with my brand of relaxation, I agree with you that the OP probably wont do too badly at the Pelangi Beach Resort.

Last edited by mario33; May 20, 2005 at 8:27 am
Old May 20, 2005, 7:11 am

I still go with my suggestion of the Pelangi Beach (Singapore forum) - the rooms are not 'crappy' neither are they up to the standard of a 5* resort- you will only get that at the Andaman or the Datai. The rooms are fine - they are basic wooden villas in the local style with wooden floors -clean with all the amenities aircon etc you need for a beach holiday and you are right on the beach if you get a seaview room.
True enough. My memories are colored in a negative direction by that fact that I booked my family into PBR at rather short notice near New Year's, and ended up paying near-rack rates (RM 500+) for the type of operation I could easily find on east coast Malaysia in the RM100-150 range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.