Wiki Posts
Search

Best hotel in Beijing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:06 am
DE
Original Poster

Best hotel in Beijing

What is your favorite hotel in Beijing for someone who's status has expired. Looks like the St. Regis scores well (T&L best the last couple of years), the Peninsula has been remodeled (and T&L puts it as one to watch for '05), and I've been told the China World is traditionally the best for businessmen. Tacking a couple days onto my business in Guanzhou, even though it'll be really cold in January. If it makes a difference, looks like I can get the Peninsual for $138-168, China World for $168 and up, and the St. Regis for $194 and up.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 4:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Originally Posted by DE
What is your favorite hotel in Beijing for someone who's status has expired. Looks like the St. Regis scores well (T&L best the last couple of years), the Peninsula has been remodeled (and T&L puts it as one to watch for '05), and I've been told the China World is traditionally the best for businessmen. Tacking a couple days onto my business in Guanzhou, even though it'll be really cold in January. If it makes a difference, looks like I can get the Peninsual for $138-168, China World for $168 and up, and the St. Regis for $194 and up.
The Peninsula is fairly close to the central area of Tianamen Square and the Forbidden City. It's walkable from there. We stayed there in September and liked it. The renovations are pretty good and if you stay in a Club level room you get a very good quality breakfast/afternoon tea/drinks offer. Also in the Peninsula's favour is the Jing restaurant, ranked by CN Traveller as one of the 50 best restaurants in the world in 2003/4 I think. We had a very good meal there one night of our stay when we were too tired to go elsewhere.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
We stayed at St. Regis in September and it was exceptional. The location is fine for embassies, not so great for tourists.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:22 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We stayed at the Presidential Plaza State Guest Hotel on a package tour in 2003. It was fabulous. In hunting for the website I found another offering nightly rates of under $100, which I would jump at in a minute if returning.

http://www.stateguesthotel.com/
Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:11 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
I really like the Grand Hyatt, which is close to the Forbidden City, so you may consider this property as well.

While the rooms aren't "Pen" style (and I've only stayed at the BKK Pen), they are quite nice. No major complaints, except they are a tad small (Tokyo sizing?)

What I continually rave about is the awesome pool & fitness center. The pool area is set up like a tropical lagoon, the pool itself is huge -- bigger than Olympic sized, and is a funky shape with waterfalls & underwater music. Plus it's WARM! The super-high ceiling has little lights which change color and the lighting level for the pool area is "early evening" ambiance. The hot water/jacuzzi in the locker room (one in the men's & one in the women's) is maybe 15' x 15'. Top quality exercise machines.

Had a great meal in the Chinese restaurant. Met the Chef (Jack) -- turns out his brother is the head chef at the Four Seasons SIN.

The Club has quite a spread at breakfast and dinner, so we really didn't have to eat out in Beijing.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:49 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
A nice alternative to the China World is the Kerrey Centre, which is about tow blocks behind it from the main drag. It is also a Shangri-La Hotel, and the service there is exemplary.

I once ate breakfast at a table next to Chow Yun-Fat there - I did a double-take to see him and his wife at the club breakfast, but didn't bother them.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Wilbur
A nice alternative to the China World is the Kerrey Centre, which is about tow blocks behind it from the main drag. It is also a Shangri-La Hotel, and the service there is exemplary.

I once ate breakfast at a table next to Chow Yun-Fat there - I did a double-take to see him and his wife at the club breakfast, but didn't bother them.
while imo the kerry is a notch below the top tier, there's no denying that it's gym facilities are among the best in china.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 2:18 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
I've stayed at both the St. Regis AND the Peninsula - both are exceptional. I would recommend the Peninsula for location if you want to see some of the sights. St. Regis is in a very quiet area even though you have access to car service/taxis/metro -

Since the St. Regis is more expensive, I would apt for the Peninsula experience. Even though there's renovations going on, it is now to the point where it doesn't get in the way.

Happy Travels!

UG
Old Feb 8, 2005, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM 1k, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Looks like I will have a business trip to Beijing in March, with most of the meetings being in the Chaoyang District (is that the business district?). I am interested in staying at the St. Regis. Does the St. Regis location make it inconvenient to get to the Chaoyang District for meetings? Is the Pen a better bet?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ac-ua
Looks like I will have a business trip to Beijing in March, with most of the meetings being in the Chaoyang District (is that the business district?). I am interested in staying at the St. Regis. Does the St. Regis location make it inconvenient to get to the Chaoyang District for meetings? Is the Pen a better bet?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
chaoyang occupies the vast majority of places most tourists venture so simply saying chaoyang isn't very helpful. however, both the penn and the st regis are pretty lousy if moving around quickly is your goal. i much prefer the hotels on the 3rd ring (especially the kempinsky because of the attached shopping center). if i had to choose between the penn and the st regis based solely on convenience, i'd go with the latter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.