Wiki Posts
Search

TPE Shopping Bargains?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
TPE Shopping Bargains?

Heading back to TPE for business again for the second time in three weeks. My first visit was dissappointing compared to previous trips to HKG and BKK wrt shopping bargains. I wanted to bring home gifts but never really found anything and thought TPE was less tourist friendly than other Asian cities I have travelled to.

Any thoughs on what/where the good shopping bargains are in TPE?

Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:55 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

From my point of view, TPE is in comparison to other paleces in Asia very expensive.

There are some shops and night markets (e.g. near the university etc.), where you can look for some gifts (depending on what you want to buy) and local products.

Beside this, electronic products such as digital cameras, organizers are (in comparison to european prices) not really cheap in TPE.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks - I agree with your comment but thought perhaps I was not looking in the right places. I even tried ShinLin (sp?) night market but was very dissappointed.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:35 am

Programs: CX, BR and CI
advice from local

i think the best bargain thing in tpe is the food
food is cheap and good here.
i would suggest you to buy some chinese cakes or cookies. mixed with a bit japanese favor.
Shilin night market is biggest but really a chaos there
There are several big shopping center here including the famous Taipei 101.
but most are costly famous brands.

if any question, dont hesitate to ask me

cheers and have a nice trip here
Old Jun 10, 2004, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I agree with chaos at Shilin Market. On a Saturday night, you couldn't even move - it was packed.

I was looking for low cost trinkets and things reflective of the local culture. There is some type of government run Handicraft Mart - is that any good and do you know the hours?

Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:14 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Flyertalker ralphto2112 should be a better help than I be, but perhaps you should have a look at Yongkang Street (and the steets beside it -it is west of Daan Forest Park) and the Shida Night Market near the university.

There I saw handicraft article you are looking for.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 5:39 pm

Programs: CX, BR and CI
yeah

flyGVA is right
near shida there are lots of small stuff to buy
dont forget the Lungshang temeple night market coz a lot of foreign tourists there so u can find some chinese handifcaft knots or chinese traditional clothes or hats there. I always buy those as gifts for my foreign friends.
Natiaonal palace museum gets a fantastic gift shop you can buy some small and nice gifts there.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:10 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by ralphto2112
i think the best bargain thing in tpe is the food
food is cheap and good here.
i would suggest you to buy some chinese cakes or cookies. mixed with a bit japanese favor.
Shilin night market is biggest but really a chaos there
There are several big shopping center here including the famous Taipei 101.
but most are costly famous brands.

if any question, dont hesitate to ask me

cheers and have a nice trip here
ralphto2112

I am going to TPE late Feb/early Mar for business. I will be staying for around 5 days. I was wonder where I can get some really good traditional Taiwanese food/snacks (I speak some Mandarin and can read Chinese). Thanks in advance.

LAX
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:44 pm
yyy

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
There are lots of "small-eats" on Yongkang Street as well: there is Mango Shave Ice, Tai-nan snack, Ding-Tai-Fung original (better than the one in San Gabriel). My favorite night market is Tong-Hua St. It's close to city center and a good place for snack & quick foot message. "Yi-Ping-Hwa-diao-Gee" (1st Class Wine Chicken) is also quite popular. It's on Shi-ming (citizen) blvd and Tuan-Hua.
Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.