First time to travel in Asia

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 12:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Best Country to Start?
Old May 24, 2017, 2:36 pm

Thailand. It's the easiest to get settled into and tons of tourists.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:02 pm

Very hard to answer that in the abstract. We'd need to know something about your interests and where you're going on the rest of your trip.

But assuming you mean, what's a good place to adjust to the culture for a few days, then I'd suggest Hong Kong or perhaps Singapore, if that fits your itinerary. Both are very much Asian cities, but they've both borne a heavy Western influence. In particular, English is common enough in both places so you'll be able to get around easily. Hong Kong has the harbour and a spectacular setting, and older areas haven't all been redeveloped away as in Singapore, so I'd make it the first choice.

Thailand's a bit of a meh, I think. Bangkok in particular has many areas you'll want to pass through quickly. These days, Vietnam -- Hanoi in particular -- far outranks Bangkok as an interesting place to pass some time.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: most of them
it's a gigantic continent obviously. As mentioned it's hard to know where to send you without knowing what sorts of things you like to do, when you're planning to go, etc
Old May 25, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Are you an experienced traveler? Do you want first world or developing world? What's your budget, time frame, season? When you ask vague questions you get vague answers!
Old May 25, 2017, 3:31 am
Aman Contributor Badge

No best place to visit, especially without some additional criteria about what you are looking for. If you can give interests/desires of your travels, you can get some more tailored advice.

That being said, first thing that pops into my mind if someone asked me about first place to visit is Japan and in particular Tokyo (the country is quiet large so Tokyo versus say Hokkaido or Okinawa would yield a much different result). A little challenging for a foreigner as English can be surprisingly limited but also very rewarding
Old May 25, 2017, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Daawgon
Are you an experienced traveler? Do you want first world or developing world? What's your budget, time frame, season? When you ask vague questions you get vague answers!
You didn't give any answers!!! You just responded with your own queries.

And rightly so.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:48 am

A guess:

From North America, USA (West Coast).

From Western Europe, Italy or Switzerland.

From the Middle East, UAE.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Hong Kong and Singapore a very easy to travel in as an English language speaker. Thailand and Malaysia are pretty good also. All are wonderful.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:15 am

Go Big

http://www.korea-dpr.com/
Old May 30, 2017, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by WilmaBarnes
Best Country to Start?
Cyprus
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:12 pm
Suspended

How long do you spend to travel in Asia? There are a lot of wonderful countries in Asia for traveling but I think you should start in Southeast Asia including Vietnam, Thailand and Laos where you can easy to transfer and visit with cheap price
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Take a look at the map - Asia starts from Turkey and ends with Indonesia, including China and Japan. Are you you want to see ALL of it?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
A week in and OP hasn't come back.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Take a look at the map - Asia starts from Turkey and ends with Indonesia, including China and Japan. Are you you want to see ALL of it?
So which country should the OP start in? Never been to Asia and just wants us to name a country in Asia where they should start. Just say your favorite country, that's what I did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.