Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Best Vietnam City for short Mileage Run?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold

Would welcome insights from experienced FTers in Vietnam. I'm considering a mileage run in early 2018 to rack up UA status. Looks like I can get good biz-class fares to/from either Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh. Thoughts regarding which would be better for a quick visit for someone who's never been?

Would likely only be there 24-36 hours, by myself, so considerations include ease of getting to and from the airport, safety, and ease of exploring. My normal MO on a short mileage run is to set up one private walking tour or "street food" tour to get me into the heart of the city and to use public transport/subway if possible.

Thanks in advance for advice and thoughts.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
In my humble opinion Hanoi is the more interesting and exotic of the two, and the center is compact and very walkable.

Book a good 3* hotel like the Artisan Boutique or Elegance Ruby and buy your visa here.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Daawgon
In my humble opinion Hanoi is the more interesting and exotic of the two, and the center is compact and very walkable.

Book a good 3* hotel like the Artisan Boutique or Elegance Ruby and buy your visa here.
The link you posted is for a pre-approval letter for a Visa on Arrival (VOA). It is not a visa.

OP can go to this website to obtain an actual e-visa:

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/
Old May 8, 2017, 9:03 pm

I would also recommend Hanoi. A bit more 'traditionally Vietnamese', compared to Saigon which feels a bit more modern. Though, to be fair, they both have more than enough to do for 36 hours.

In Hanoi lots of the sites are close to the lake in the historic centre, while in Saigon they are a bit more spread out. Uber is incredibly cheap in both cities - I'd say about $2-3 for a 20-30 minute ride and there a lots of cars available. You can also try an app called Grab Taxi which has more taxis (IME) and allows you to pay in cash.
Neither city has a subway yet (both are under construction). I've used public buses only in Saigon and they were ok - and really cheap at 5000 dong (20 US cents).

Also, make sure you use Diplomatico's link and use the Government's official visa site.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Thanks all and this is very helpful. I was leaning towards Saigon but your views of Hanoi are interesting. Normally stay in Marriott family hotels so JW in Hanoi and Renaissance in Saigon. Thoughts?
Again, thanks for your on the ground experience!
Old May 9, 2017, 6:39 pm

If you want to go to Saigon, go. There's plenty to do there for 24 hours. I'd just say Hanoi was preferable for a short stay.

Don't know either hotel, but I just googled them to see where they were. The Renaissance, Saigon has a pretty good location. The JW in Hanoi is pretty far from the old town - probably 20 to 40 minutes by taxi dependent on traffic - especially for such a short stay.

Last edited by TravelDream; May 10, 2017 at 9:28 am Reason: 20 not 320!
Old May 10, 2017, 12:20 am

For such a short trip, I think either city will do fine and you will have enough to do and lots of food to try. I live in SGN and much prefer it to Hanoi, but you can see there are some board people who are the opposite. The SGN airport is a little closer, and the Renaissance is a pretty good location. Walking is good in both cities, and I know there are food tours here and I assume in Hanoi also.

Just be aware of Tet dates, since you mention the early part of the year, and I'd steer clear of it.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: various
I also think that Hanoi is more interesting.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Daawgon

Agree. Hanoi is still looking like an old time city. I loved getting up at 5 am and visiting Hoam Kiem lake. It was wonderful seeing the locals exercise. Any movent of the body, ballroom dancing or marching constitutes exercise.
Old May 15, 2017, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
Thanks all and this is very helpful. I was leaning towards Saigon but your views of Hanoi are interesting. Normally stay in Marriott family hotels so JW in Hanoi and Renaissance in Saigon.
Don't forget that there are Sheratons in both cities, which are de facto part of the Marriott family now. And international Sheratons are normally of a different (higher) class than those in the U.S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.