Wiki Posts
Search

Free half-day tours available for foreign passengers in Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Free half-day tours available for foreign passengers in Taiwan

Just saw this interesting news. Looks like something similar to the free tours offered in Seoul (ICN).

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) -- Taiwan's Tourism Bureau is offering free half-day tours for transit or transfer passengers with 7- to 24-hour layovers, who have valid Taiwan travel visas or come from countries eligible for visa-exempt entry.

There are both morning and afternoon half-day tours. The morning tour includes visits to sites in Sanxia and Yingge. The afternoon tour includes visits to Taipei 101, Longshan Temple, and Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall and Memorial Park, among other sites in Taipei.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:01 am

Nice development. The afternoon itinerary looks solid. As for the morning one, the pottery museum is worth a visit (possibly longer than the 45 minutes allotted for it) but I'd skip the so-called "Old Street." In any case, beats staying at any airport though on a long layover.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:47 am

Nice!

The afternoon tour has "from the bus" in the itinerary, so I assume the whole tour is done by bus.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
Nice development. The afternoon itinerary looks solid. As for the morning one, the pottery museum is worth a visit (possibly longer than the 45 minutes allotted for it) but I'd skip the so-called "Old Street." In any case, beats staying at any airport though on a long layover.
Agree that the pottery museum is worth a visit but walking the "Old Street" in Yingge is walking a newly built tourist venue. Twenty years ago, the "Old Street" didn't exist and I can remember when it was being built, or put differently, when the shopping was being centralized and standardized and given over to easier access for pedestrians. You can still get off the main street and find places where bargaining is going to bring the customer better results but a leisurely stroll looking at the ceramics is an okay way to spend an hour. fwiw, my wife and I spent a couple of hours learning to make ceramics here last year and it was more fun than I thought it would be.

In Sanshia, I would prefer to stay at the Temple rather than stroll the 'Old Street" stores which have nothing unique to my recollection. Have never been to the Hakka museum.

And I agree both of these visits are better than sitting at TPE for 8 hours. Nice job Tourism Taiwan.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:41 pm

Nice to see this. TPE is always my final destination but this is great to see for those with long layovers. Went on one of the ones at ICN once when a planned overnight layover turned into just a long day due to flight cancellations/delays and it was really nice to get out of the airport and see a couple things. I do think the durations are short on this and they may be trying to pack too much in to the 2 different itineraries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.