Search

Data SIM in Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Data SIM in Vietnam

Hello All,

Can you buy a Data SIM to fit into foreign phones in Vietnam? Always looking for ways to save on my Data roaming bill!

Thanking you in advance.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
You will have absolutely no problem. At every major airport there are multiple shops selling SIMs from three major telcos and they are sold at every corner.

VitTEL his the largest coverage and SIM with 1GB of data would cost something like US $8.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:17 pm

Check out this site: http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Vietnam

I picked up a Mobifone sim at their stall at the Hanoi airport. No complaints. Good coverage in even walking back from Cat Cat village in Sapa.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:32 pm
Suspended

you can contact with Vinaphone, they will help you
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:53 am

You need to make sure your phone is SIM unlocked and also that your phone supports the frequencies/bands used by the service provider.

Looks like the 3G in Vietnam uses 2100 mhz. So make sure your phone supports that.

Also, have you been to Vietnam before? There's free wifi at many places. I have never needed a SIM card.

Last edited by CrazyInteg; Jul 22, 2016 at 10:02 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
+1 on Viettel but I think all the services are OK and cheap. Very hassle free.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Thank you for the answers everyone.

It will be my first time in Vietnam. I know that wifi will be available frequently but I'm on the move daily for the 6 days I'm there and sometimes I'd rather pay something just to have the SIM rather than goina on a Pokemon Go style hunt for wifi.

Any recommendations on which company? Or just Viettel?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
Thank you for the answers everyone.

It will be my first time in Vietnam. I know that wifi will be available frequently but I'm on the move daily for the 6 days I'm there and sometimes I'd rather pay something just to have the SIM rather than goina on a Pokemon Go style hunt for wifi.

I use Viettel but I have friends who use other services. I think they are all fine.

I sometimes have to ask convenience store cashiers how to charge my phone, but if you're not shy it should be no problem.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
In cities there is not much difference, VietTel is owned by the military so it has better coverage countrywide.

You can (should) get SIM card right at the airport after arrival. Last time I was there (last Nov) got SIM and 1GB data package at Hanoi airport for 150K VND or US $8.

P.S. If it is your first time in Vietnam, better to read TripAdvisor forums on this and other country related topics (money/ATM/cash/exchange, crime/scams/awareness, food, travel/etc) - will help you to avoid possible unpleasant experience or misunderstandings.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:19 am

Viettel and Mobifone are almost identical. Either one will be fine. You can add money if needed at most convenient stores as well as the little mom and pop shops that sell food and soda and other items. They give you a small scratch off card of variable amounts, depending on what you ask for. If you don't know which, just ask for 100k by holding up the bill and saying the name, either Mobifone or Viettel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.