Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Overland travel from HCMC to Phnom Penh - what are options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overland travel from HCMC to Phnom Penh - what are options?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I did it in a shared taxi in 1998...totally full, 6 people, one guy had to sit on the gearshift (it was an automatic). Road on Cambodian size was AWFUL then. There was the wait for the ferry over the Mekong, and the potholes were so bad that the taxi had to weave over both lanes of the road to avoid them. Thankfully not much traffic. They looked through every page of my passport twice at Moc Bai before stamping, and then everyone but one person got into a second taxi. Roads were much better of Vietnamese side but people drove like maniacs, so it was trading one harrowing experience for another. Women really looked beautiful in the ao dais (first time I had ever seen those).

Am sure conditions are better today.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by RustyC
I did it in a shared taxi in 1998...totally full, 6 people, one guy had to sit on the gearshift (it was an automatic). Road on Cambodian size was AWFUL then. There was the wait for the ferry over the Mekong, and the potholes were so bad that the taxi had to weave over both lanes of the road to avoid them. Thankfully not much traffic. They looked through every page of my passport twice at Moc Bai before stamping, and then everyone but one person got into a second taxi. Roads were much better of Vietnamese side but people drove like maniacs, so it was trading one harrowing experience for another. Women really looked beautiful in the ao dais (first time I had ever seen those).

Am sure conditions are better today.
A new bridge across the Mekong and a legit road paved all the way to the Vietnam border opened ~3 years ago IIRC.

At least that's what I understand having never traversed the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.