Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Rewards options to Kathmandu

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Best Rewards options to Kathmandu

I'm planning a trip to do some hiking in Nepal in 2017 and will try to get there on miles. My wife and I have about 150,000 delta and around 60,000 Chase Sapphire already. But since this won't be until Aug or Sept 2017, we have time to collect other point currencies if need be.

I've done a few searches on the big 3 US airlines, with Delta (80,000 R/T) the obvious first choice because we basically have the miles already, but the connections don't work in our favor (45 hour return flight - 2 stops). United (85k R/T) seems like the best option so far as the times aren't bad (26-28 hours - 2 stops), the fees are low $110, and we can break up one-way with a free stopover.

But I'm here to see if there is a cheaper, faster, better way to get there. We are both willing to open any cards with the exception of Sapphire to get the necessary miles. Our home airport is RDU.

Last edited by Flamenguista; Jun 18, 2016 at 7:57 pm
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Your question would be better in the DL or Information Desk fora. Asked a moderator to move it there ... your question really has nothing to do with Asia as a destination more how to get there on points.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

You can delete it then.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Don't the ULCCs fly to KTM (from KUL or BKK, I can't remember which)? Maybe u get lucky and roll a strike straight through, but often you can get those dilemmas where it's 50K extra miles or the 2 tickets with the LCC flight with someone like Air Asia.

When I did my trip I think I booked it SIN-KTM-SIN on SQ using UA miles. Dunno what they want for that now.

Would imagine that much also depends on time of year and supply/demand. KTM is very seasonal, with short peak seasons. October is always high demand but has the best weather and views. I went in the second best time in the March/April window, when you had maybe 4 or 5 morning hours around Pokhara before clouds rolled in.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:26 am

I organize and lead trips in Nepal and regularly fly over on points (star alliance) and you won't find much under 24hrs and $100 fees so your find on united is good. Past few years I have managed to get on Turkish flights which have little extra charges but the timing is long (32hrs+). There are limited airlines flying into KTM so check those out first to find out availability and work backwards. Enjoy your trek! Its a magical place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.