Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Change of travel plans, now have a weekend in Manila. What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Lufthansa Miles & More

As per the title, meetings postponed to Monday, so I get to spend the weekend in Manila. Staying in the Holiday Inn Manila Galleria, if that makes a difference. What would you do?

I am a foodie, if that helps.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old May 30, 2016, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by powerful pete
As per the title, meetings postponed to Monday, so I get to spend the weekend in Manila. Staying in the Holiday Inn Manila Galleria, if that makes a difference. What would you do?

I am a foodie, if that helps.

Thanks for any suggestions!
In Ortigas? Ewwwww....it's kind of an upscale ghetto a bit like Makati, i.e. malled-up and sterile compared to the rest of the area (for better or worse). You can walk to SM Megamall, one of the 10 biggest malls in the world.

The usual tourist circuit is heavy on places in the city of Manila itself, like intramuros, Rizal Park, maybe Binondo, and sunsets on the Baywalk. There's also the original Aristocrat on Roxas Blvd. as a major home of Filipino food (it's large, relatively inexpensive and very popular).

There's also a circuit of sorts with Makati and all the Ayala places, especially Glorietta and the Greenbelts. More malls, reallly, but Greenbelt also doubles as a rare park-like green space and a nice setting for lots of restaurants there. I've become a fan of John and Yoko (east-west fusion in Greenbelt 5), but it's also possible to try Chili's, Bubba Gump Shrimp Company or other transplants. On weekends the Havana Cafe in Greenbelt 3 becomes a nexus for musical entertainment and swells to double-size.

The problem with Ortigas is that you can easily spend an hour in traffic, even on weekends, to get to Ermita and the old-school attractions. With Makati you *could* try the LRT, but those rail cars can get very crowded.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:53 pm

MNL

Originally Posted by RustyC
In Ortigas? Ewwwww....it's kind of an upscale ghetto a bit like Makati, i.e. malled-up and sterile compared to the rest of the area (for better or worse). You can walk to SM Megamall, one of the 10 biggest malls in the world.

The usual tourist circuit is heavy on places in the city of Manila itself, like intramuros, Rizal Park, maybe Binondo, and sunsets on the Baywalk. There's also the original Aristocrat on Roxas Blvd. as a major home of Filipino food (it's large, relatively inexpensive and very popular).

There's also a circuit of sorts with Makati and all the Ayala places, especially Glorietta and the Greenbelts. More malls, reallly, but Greenbelt also doubles as a rare park-like green space and a nice setting for lots of restaurants there. I've become a fan of John and Yoko (east-west fusion in Greenbelt 5), but it's also possible to try Chili's, Bubba Gump Shrimp Company or other transplants. On weekends the Havana Cafe in Greenbelt 3 becomes a nexus for musical entertainment and swells to double-size.

The problem with Ortigas is that you can easily spend an hour in traffic, even on weekends, to get to Ermita and the old-school attractions. With Makati you *could* try the LRT, but those rail cars can get very crowded.
I would stay in Makati--enjoy Green Belt, Gloretta Mall, etc.
Many good restaurants in Makati
Visit Manila Hotel and Corregador
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:33 am

Corregidor is a must see for me if you have war history interests. You could easily go to Taal volcano one day and Tagaytay. Or head up towards the Pinatubo lahar flows. Go scuba diving or snorkeling towards Subic or the Southwest. All of those require some driving, and traffic can be bad.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:04 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by maverick17
Or head up towards the Pinatubo lahar flows.
That's pretty much a day trip, but one I really enjoyed.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Lufthansa Miles & More
Thanks guys, turns out I ran into an old friend and woke up way too early for a bike ride... but the recommendations have been filed for future reference.

Unfortunately the hotel is perfectly located for my business meetings (Asian Development Bank) so that takes the cake in terms of location preferences...
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:49 pm

Try the Salcedo Saturday market and the Legazpi Sunday markets, mostly food. Fresh produce and local delicacies. Drink buffalo milk eat pila nuts and organic honey. Try beef tapa or paella it's all there.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:05 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

www.bambike.com for bamboo bike tours of old Manila.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.