Wiki Posts
Search

1.5 Days in Ho Chi Minh

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
1.5 Days in Ho Chi Minh

Flying in from Singapore to Ho Chi Minh City in early August. I was able to tack the trip to/from SIN at no extra cost on an award ticket so I figured why not add in a new country.

I'm only 23 so a packed full day sunrise to sunset won't be an issue for me, so what do you all suggest?

I found a pretty cheap tour a week or two ago (I'd have to go find a link). It was 14 hours in length, included breakfast and lunch, tour of the city and a 3-4 hour scooter food tour that evening. IIRC the price was cheap and the company got good reviews on Trip Advisor.

My schedule looks like I land at 7PM August 2nd and depart noon on August 4th. So the tour would obviously be on the 3rd. As a photographer I was thinking I'd spend the early morning trying to catch some shots of locals out and about / sunrise shots the day I leave.

Any suggestions to the itinerary?
Old May 16, 2016, 3:59 pm

Sounds like a fine plan. I'd suggest having some drinks in the evening.

Don't forget to figure out how you want to acquire your visa. There are a couple different options (depending on your nationality and where you're coming from).
Old May 16, 2016, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Sounds like a fine plan. I'd suggest having some drinks in the evening.

Don't forget to figure out how you want to acquire your visa. There are a couple different options (depending on your nationality and where you're coming from).
I'm a US citizen. Already got my invitation letter as I intent on obtaining a VOA.
Old May 16, 2016, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Renumification Palace (spelling?) And War Remnants Museum.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:05 pm

If you have time (it's an evening thing- 17:30-22:30), I'd book a "Foodie Tour" with XO Tours. It was one of the highlights of our recent trip to Vietnam. The food was very good, but the highlight was getting to see lots of the city that one doesn't normally see as a tourist.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
They passed a law recently that US citizens will be able to get a VOA. Not sure if it's free or not. Not sure when it will be implemented.

I head there later this week.
Old May 16, 2016, 9:22 pm
Suspended

You can stay at Pham Ngu Lao street and enjoy street foods there, you can walking around Bui Vien street to join outstanding activities in a night. Furthermore, you can refer some itinerary at: https://www.vietnamtourbooking.com/en/ho-chi-minh-city/ with cheap price and good service. I booked Hanoi tour at the agency and I am satisfied with their service.
Old May 17, 2016, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by travellingwineO
If you have time (it's an evening thing- 17:30-22:30), I'd book a "Foodie Tour" with XO Tours. It was one of the highlights of our recent trip to Vietnam. The food was very good, but the highlight was getting to see lots of the city that one doesn't normally see as a tourist.
I second that thought.
Old May 17, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by travellingwineO
How much does such tour cost?
Old May 17, 2016, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
How much does such tour cost?
Looks like $72 per their website. Not the cheapest of food tours that I've found but they get raving reviews so maybe it's worth it. As a foodie myself I'll probably end up tacking that on.
Old May 17, 2016, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Looks like $72 per their website. Not the cheapest of food tours that I've found but they get raving reviews so maybe it's worth it. As a foodie myself I'll probably end up tacking that on.
I thought you said your 14 hour tour included a food tour?

Bitexco was cool if you like tall buildings with observation decks.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I thought you said your 14 hour tour included a food tour?

Bitexco was cool if you like tall buildings with observation decks.
It does but I'm not sure on the quality of the tour. That example as simply a thought, nothing is set in stone yet. I may just do a self guided tour during the day then do this food tour in the evening. This is all part of a 18 day vacation, of which I've only gotten to day 3 in planning (Vietnam is days 14-16).

Reading back on the other tour I found, people seem to have been satisfied with the food tour portion so maybe I'll just stick with that. Decisions, decisions...

Bitexco is on the list since I always find myself doing those kind of things lol. Not sure if it's part of the tour or not.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
4 hour food tour for $72 for Vietnam is way over the top. Considering that street food does not cost more than $5 and you won't be eating more than twice, I fail to understand what you are getting for remaining $62.

P.S. I've been in Saigon and know local prices.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:23 pm

Since you're there a short time and you've never been there before, it sounds like that 14 hour tour would be a good option for you (hence my initial reply). But if you decide to just go at it alone, then I'd reccomend just going to TripAdvisor or other websites and just hitting the "Top 10" or whatever sights. Post Office and Notre Damme are nothing special, War Remnants museum is alright, Reunification Palace is ok, Uncle Ho museum is alright. Make sure you try Vietnamese coffee (Trung Nguyen for the fancy stuff). I still would recommend a food tour of some sort. Bia Hoi in the tourist area is not so great, but there are plenty of streetside bars with bottled beer. Ben Thanh market is incredibly overpriced. You can walk to all these places, but you will need a decent map.

I'm recommending this as a young male budget traveler that has been there a few times.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
4 hour food tour for $72 for Vietnam is way over the top. Considering that street food does not cost more than $5 and you won't be eating more than twice, I fail to understand what you are getting for remaining $62.

P.S. I've been in Saigon and know local prices.
I take it you've never been on an organized food tour or been to XO's website?

It includes a guide. It includes transportation. It's the most popular tour, so they can raise prices and still book up.

When I did a food tour, it was the most expensive thing I did on my trip, but I sampled over 60 different food/drink items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.