Wiki Posts
Search

Inle Lake or an extra day in Sri Lanka

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by rivlinm
Questions:
  1. Is 2:20 enough to transfer RGN international to domestic?
  2. Am I still short changing Inle Lake with .5 day, full day, .25 day?
  3. Am I giving too much time to MDL still? (*see below)
1. I think that is enough time. We arrived in mid-afternoon with minimal wait for immigration and we were out of the terminal with our bags within 45 minutes to an hour after landing. The domestic terminal is right next door to the international terminal and it looked like a short walk. We arrived anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes before departure for the domestic flights but check in was quick and we spent a lot of time waiting at the gate.

2 and 3. Your time in Inle is similar to ours and we got to see everything that was on our agenda. Our last morning was spent traveling to the airport from the hotel after a leisurely breakfast; enjoying the boat ride and taking it all in one last time felt like time well spent. Like I said, we were on the go a lot and in hindsight would have spent another night at Inle to relax; we felt that we ran out of different things to see in Mandalay that we had not already experienced in Yangon and Bagan. I think this comes down to personal preference and there really is no right or wrong answer.

I think you should reconsider taking the train from Bagan to Yangon; we rode the train in Yangon and after an hour at slow speeds of bouncing and swaying we were glad no other train rides were involved in our trip. You are talking about leftover infrastructure from British colonial times that has not seen any significant investment ... definitely something to experience but a short portion on the Yangon circle train is probably enough to give you a flavor. The trip you are considering is about 12 hours assuming everything goes right. Consider taking an early morning flight to Yangon and I think you will end up in Yangon about the same time (probably with greater reliability) while arriving better rested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.