Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time to Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:46 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Daawgon
Hanoi is the best of this country, no question. I would not try to see both places - you'd just be wasting too much time in transit (things move slowly here, even planes!)
Best is subjective. Every area is different. I recommend seeing as much as you can.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: traveling
I think you can visit Hanoi and HCMC within 6 days. You can take a flight of Vietjet or Vietnam Airline. Both of them are reliable. You can enjoy street food in Hanoi Old Quarter. Ben Thanh market (HCMC) also has many business activities and good food. For hotels, in Hanoi, you should rent a hotel in Old Quarter, for example, Hang Trong. In HCMC, if you want to stay at 4-5 star hotel, you can consider Novotel, New World, Sofitel or Caravelle.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by dinhoecotour
2 nights in Hanoi
1 night in Halong Bay
2 nights in HCMC
Do this one, and spend one of your two days in SGN on a Mekong tour.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
You're not calculating the time to get from one place to the next. Hanoi-Halong Bay is 4 hours one way (round trip means you've lost a full day). Yes, it can be done, but it means that a large portion of those 6 days is wasted just trying to get from point A to point B.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Prior poster 'Daawgon' is accurate. Halong Bay is not worth the excursion due to transit time. There is an airport closer but still roughly 3 hr if consider time to airport, flight and time to bay.
I've done it with overnight but in hindsight would've preferred to stay in Hanoi.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:09 am

I would never skip Ha Long Bay. It's been a few years since I've been, so I admit it might have changed and be more of a hassle in some ways, but it's one of the most beautiful and interesting places in Vietnam, imho.

I'd definitely go there and don't think your schedule is bad at all. 2 nights in Hanoi, then take an early morning trip to Ha Long, and boat then and overnight there or on the boat. Then fly the next day to Saigon, you have that half day in Saigon, the next day also or else could do a day trip to the Mekong. Another night in Saigon. Works fine.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: *G
its akin to arguing dallas vs houston. neither are great destinations. both dirty, overpopulated cities, and the 'attractions' (hoan kiem, pagoda, opera house, etc) are a bit light on gravity.

they should be experienced once, and if its a matter of either/or, then saigon has more of the hustle-bustle, beehive-moto-traffic one imagines of vietnam. and the food is much better. (hanoi, however, has access to balong/bai tu long bay which is a cannot-miss).

the real 'gem' of the country (someone used that word in this thread) are in between..... in hue, da nang, da lat, etc..... with better natural geography, more room to roam.

flights are really cheap from point to point, whether by discount carrier or the national carrier. even the best class of service on the national train (violette carriage - 4 bed sleeper), isnt comfortable, has limited availability, and takes an interminably long time.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by deniah
its akin to arguing dallas vs houston. neither are great destinations. both dirty, overpopulated cities, and the 'attractions' (hoan kiem, pagoda, opera house, etc) are a bit light on gravity.

they should be experienced once, and if its a matter of either/or, then saigon has more of the hustle-bustle, beehive-moto-traffic one imagines of vietnam. and the food is much better. (hanoi, however, has access to balong/bai tu long bay which is a cannot-miss).

the real 'gem' of the country (someone used that word in this thread) are in between..... in hue, da nang, da lat, etc..... with better natural geography, more room to roam.

flights are really cheap from point to point, whether by discount carrier or the national carrier. even the best class of service on the national train (violette carriage - 4 bed sleeper), isnt comfortable, has limited availability, and takes an interminably long time.
Hanoi is my husband's favourite holiday destination, apart from Cairo. He was just talking it up again to someone who was going to visit HCMC and not Hanoi.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Hanoi is my husband's favourite holiday destination, apart from Cairo. He was just talking it up again to someone who was going to visit HCMC and not Hanoi.
just proves the adage about horses for courses.

im very well-acquainted with low-income locales, the accompanying haggling, scamming, chaoticness of it all...

...of the destinations in my 50+ countries experience, cairo (along with manila) is far and away on the bottom of that list.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Having spent time in both cities, I would skip HCMC and focus on Hanoi, lots to see and do there - plus you can do Halong Bay.

If you want to do HCMC I would get out of the city and do a day trip or a couple of nights on a boat in the Mekong Delta

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.