Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Visiting alone in Kuala Lumpur - any safety concerns?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond

Hi all,

As the title really. I'm a Brit and I'll be in KUL for 3 days. I went to Singapore last year and felt pretty comfortable and safe, but I've heard that Kuala Lumpur is a little rougher around the edges, so to speak.

I always travel on public transport and will be staying at a budget hotel. I'd be grateful for any pointers as to what to watch out for. The current underlying terrorist threat is my main concern, if I'm honest.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by headingwest
Hi all,

As the title really. I'm a Brit and I'll be in KUL for 3 days. I went to Singapore last year and felt pretty comfortable and safe, but I've heard that Kuala Lumpur is a little rougher around the edges, so to speak.

I always travel on public transport and will be staying at a budget hotel. I'd be grateful for any pointers as to what to watch out for. The current underlying terrorist threat is my main concern, if I'm honest.
I've spent quite a lot of time in KL, and never given a second thought to personal security. Which means I'm just as careful as I'd be anywhere else with bags and what's in my pockets on public transport: nowhere near as threatening in that respect as (e.g.) Barcelona.

Singaporeans tend to think of Malaysia as the wild-west, and Johor (their first taste of Malaysia) is a bit honky tonk. KL has a measure of sleaze, but unless you seek it out you're probably not going to run across it, or any of the problems running with it.

The one blot on KL's tourist score-sheet was the taxi mafia. But now Uber is set to make the transport environment much more user friendly.

Hotel infrastructure tends to fray quite rapidly as you work your way down the stars, so if you have to stay budget, I'd chose carefully. Hotels prices may have increased in KL, but they are very inexpensive in world terms: so you might be pleasantly surprised at what falls within your budget.

I don't believe being a Brit brings additional security concerns.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've spent quite a lot of time in KL......
Thanks for the reply IAN-UK, I appreciate it.

I hate using taxis anyway, so I won't be prey for the conmen.

The hotel I'm staying at isn't the cheapest, but there again it's not the type of place where they will be falling over themselves to make me happy. My expectations are set accordingly.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
My expectations are set accordingly.
Once you reset expectations to zero, anything coming will be only with plus sign, is not it?

On a little bit serious note - do you actually know what kind of expectations do you have, even subconsciously? If you try to name them (not necessarily here) it will help a lot to deal with the consequences when expectations are not met.

Jokes aside, but I have to repeat this example again and again - most of people reading this forum would expect that on stairs there are steps, right? Well, not the case, at least in India, where one tourist broke his leg while walking down on stairs from train station - last three steps were missing.

Back to KL - you will be perfectly safe as long as you use common sense and be a little bit more vigilant when you are around Petaling Street market. Just make sure that you do not have anything in pockets which are easily accessible and if you have a backpack/bag carry it in front of you.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
I hate using taxis anyway, so I won't be prey for the conmen.
KL's public transport infrastructure is by and large still pretty crap, though. So other than places within walking distance from rail / metro stations, taxi's (whether flagged down, or grabtaxi'ed, or uber'ed) would be pretty essential transport.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by shuigao
KL's public transport infrastructure is by and large still pretty crap, though. So other than places within walking distance from rail / metro stations, taxi's (whether flagged down, or grabtaxi'ed, or uber'ed) would be pretty essential transport.
I'd have to disagree with that assessment of KL's public transport - from a visitor's perspective at least.

I am in KL 6-8 times a year for several days each trip, and I can't recall the last time I took a taxi. Again, I am a visitor who travels light so my experience won't apply to a longer term stay, or someone who has a lot of luggage with them.
To say that taxis/cars/uber/etc are essential transport in KL is simply not true

I stay in a range of accommodation types depending on the trip from cheaper digs up to serviced apartments [some good bargains to be had on a fully equipped apartment in various locations]

I have stayed in a variety of locations, both in inner city areas close to public transport, and out in suburbs. Even away from the major LRT/Monorail/KTR stations, buses are reliable and cheap.

One example is stays out in the embassy district along Jalan Ampang - leafy suburban area and not within walking distance of mass transit stations. RapidKL buses are RM1, clean and regular, and they link up to the LRT stations [eg KLCC or Ampang Park]

For the OP - grab either a Touch 'n Go or MyRapid card on arrival and top it up with some credit. TnG will allow you to use the KL Ekspres line to and from both of the airport terminals, MyRapid card isn't accepted for the Airport line but good for all the other services. For anything more than a one day trip the convenience is worthwhile especially in peak times to avoid queues at ticketing machines.

Back to the original question re safety vs terrorist threats. Have never worried about a Jakarta type attack in KL, but I feel you would have to be pretty unlucky to get caught up in one if it ever did happen. The usual common sense stuff applies I guess - keep an eye on local media etc

Last edited by seavisionburma; Jan 17, 2016 at 9:29 pm
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your input and help. ^ I'm currently in the airport lounge about to start the journey and will report back when I return.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:50 am

I've heard that Kuala Lumpur is a little rougher around the edges, so to speak.
If Singapore is a 10 (perfectly smooth), then KL would be a 9, and Bangkok would be a 6.

It's all relative. KL has rougher edges than Singapore, but then many places around the world have rougher edges than Singapore.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
I agree KL is almost as safe as Singapore. Infrastructure is great. Public transport in KL is infinitely better than in any US city and most Asian cities.

I returned from there last week and Uber worked fine.

KL is a bit cheaper than Singapore, especially hotels.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Just to report back on my experience.

I felt very safe in KL, there were lots of police and security guards everywhere and most of the walkways in the city had cameras. The people were generally very friendly and helpful.

Regarding transport, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it all fits together. The MRT was brilliant, and very cheap. The 'sting' for me was the KL express train from the airport to the city, which in comparison with general public transport was quite pricey - although it was still relatively cheap compared to rip off Britain!

I'd have no concerns about going back to Kuala Lumpur.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
<snip>
Regarding transport, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it all fits together. The MRT was brilliant, and very cheap. The 'sting' for me was the KL express train from the airport to the city, which in comparison with general public transport was quite pricey - although it was still relatively cheap compared to rip off Britain!
You had a bit of bad luck/poor timing with the KL Ekspres fares - they had a massive fare hike just recently from RM35 to RM55 per trip, which is unfortunate.
I agree that this is now a bit of a sting..I may consider going back to the Skybus which was around 8 or 9 Ringgit one way before [no idea if they have hiked this on the back of the train fare rise]

At 35 ringgit previously, it was considerably more than the bus but the convenience, speed, and comfort [along with free wifi] justified the price. A late night Skybus trip is easy enough given the lack of traffic, not sure if I would do it at peak hour though.

Great to hear your trip went well though, thanks for posting back with an update.
Happy travels...
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seavisionburma
You had a bit of bad luck/poor timing with the KL Ekspres fares - they had a massive fare hike just recently from RM35 to RM55 per trip, which is unfortunate.
Yes, seavisionburma, I paid RM100 for a return trip.

Out of interest, isn't there a cheaper option by train? I read somewhere that there is another service which stops at many stations along the way - is it called KL transit?

I actually asked for the price of the KL transit at the ticket desk, but was given the price for the KL Ekspres instead.

I have to say, the city was very clean too...every morning people were out cleaning the pavements and walkways.

Thanks again to everyone who commented and gave suggestions on the thread, it really put my mind at ease. ^
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Just to report back on my experience.

I felt very safe in KL.
Thanks for getting back and offering reassurance for future travellers ..

How was the hotel?

The 'sting' for me was the KL express train from the airport to the city, which in comparison with general public transport was quite pricey..
It's now VERY pricey, and as there'll invariably be further transport required from Sentral, a taxi from the airport becomes a no-brainer for more than one.

I know rail avoids road congestion, but with wait times at KLIA and the faff of a city transfer to the hotel, journey times generally even out. Unless, of course you hit the airport station at the right time and you're staying at the Sentral Hilton

There's some devious scheme where, with a bit of faffing about changing trains, you can get a rail transfer cheaply into the city.

The bus from Sentral is fine for me if i'm not pressed for time. There's a service to KLIA proper, and a more frequent one to the low-cost terminal.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:47 am

IAN-UK is correct - there is an option to get a cheaper fare into the city using the KL Transit, but you need to stop at a station en route, get off, exit, buy a new ticket, and reboard the next train [around thirty minutes later]. Works out at around half the fare.

You mentioned that you asked for the KL Transit fare when you bought your ticket - but for the single one-trip fare into KL Sentral, it is the same price as the KL Ekspres. Unless you split your journey as I mentioned above, its the same.

Link here: https://www.kliaekspres.com/plan-buy/fares-passes/

And as IAN-UK also posted - a group of travellers now are better off with the taxi as opposed to a single traveller - and gives you the door-to-door convenience.
The bus wins for a single traveller in the new fare regime on the KL Ekpsres system
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:47 am
Original Poster

How was the hotel?
The hotel is a sore point! I paid 68 EUR for 3 nights and it was pretty dire (although not the worst I've experienced - me thinks Tel Aviv and mouldy bread, yes, mouldy bread for breakfast, and a chef who had obviously not cleaned his apron for about a year!).

First of all I had to wait for half an hour at check-in (I think they'd double booked and hastily sent their young sons up to clean another room). When I got to the room the bathroom floor was wet (presumable where the boys had quickly cleaned around). There was a foul smell from the bathroom which was coming from the drainage. The bed sheets were not the cleanest I've ever seen and there was in fact only one thin sheet, so I slept on top of the bed. The air conditioning didn't work and it was boiling and there were lizards in the room (a new experience for me!). Breakfast was pretty grim, rice, noodles and pineapple was about it - and there were insects crawling around the dishes. I only went the first morning, after that I had breakfast in McDonalds.

I have to say, my tolerance level is pretty high, so I didn't complain and just excepted it as it was. You get what you pay for.

The bus from Sentral is fine for me if i'm not pressed for time. There's a service to KLIA proper, and a more frequent one to the low-cost terminal.
My flight arrived around 9pm so I wanted to get to the city as soon as possible. Next time I'd consider the bus, but I'd have to do my research (times and location in airport) before the trip.

Originally Posted by seavisionburma
The bus wins for a single traveller in the new fare regime on the KL Ekpsres system
Agreed!

Last edited by headingwest; Feb 1, 2016 at 4:38 am Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.