Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Visiting alone in Kuala Lumpur - any safety concerns?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting alone in Kuala Lumpur - any safety concerns?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
I'd be interested to know the hotel and location just out of interest - PM me if you don't want to post it
I've done a range of hotels and guest houses around KL, and for easily less than EUR 23 a night there are a few good options right near transit stations

Don't be too alarmed by the Chee Chaks - common around SE Asia and they are just there to keep the insects under control and welcome foreign travellers to their temporary abode [okay yeah I kind of freaked when I saw these the first time when I moved to Asia]

For future travellers reading this thread for transport tips for the first time [ie the bus options into KL Sentral] - the buses at KLIA2 are in the basement. Coming out of baggage claim/customs, head through the doors, down the ramp past the mobile phone shops, and keep heading forward until you hit the main entrance doors. You'll find the downward travelators there - elevators are behind you to the right. Ticket booths for the different buses are downstairs, along with a food court and a cheap convenience store.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seavisionburma
Don't be too alarmed by the Chee Chaks - common around SE Asia and they are just there to keep the insects under control and welcome foreign travellers to their temporary abode [okay yeah I kind of freaked when I saw these the first time when I moved to Asia]
Yes, I saw the insects on the table when I entered the room. Later I noticed that the lizard had appeared to gobble them all up. Oh, and one joined me in the shower.

I often see lizards in Florida where my mother lives, but I've never seen them in the house.

(p.s., PM sent)
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by seavisionburma
There are at least couple of them in my house any time, we usually discover it by the crap they leave and we have to scrub it out. My wife has declared war on them in kitchen but they are apparently winning.

Common house gecko is just cute thing. However when in your house is frequented by Tokays, then... goodbye good sleep...
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by headingwest
The hotel is a sore point! I paid 68 EUR for 3 nights and it was pretty dire
time for a smug gloat ..

Hotel infrastructure tends to fray quite rapidly as you work your way down the stars, so if you have to stay budget, I'd chose carefully.

It can be really difficult to find decent places once you get down to three stars and below. Tripadvisor reviews, and word of mouth, help. It's not that clean, comfortable and friendly never coincide with budget, just that these gems can be hard to find.

Anyway, the lizardy gekko-ish creatures are friendly, cute and gobble up creepy crawlies: so these were the least of your worries. Not much positive to say for bed bugs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.