Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Staying healthy in Cambodia/Vietnam/Thailand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Will be off to Cambodia/Vietnam/Thailand in January. Any tips in staying healthy? A big no no is ice. How about raw salads? Raw salads are everywhere in street food and restaurants. Bottled water to brush teeth?

Any advice and suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:41 am

No matter how hard you try invariably you will probably get sick even just a little.
If its tourist areas ice is normally okay as they make it with good water.
i brush my teeth with tap water but also use mouthwash.

I highly suggest buying some lomotil tablets, they are great for slowing down or stopping and sickness when it comes on.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firemansam
No matter how hard you try invariably you will probably get sick even just a little.
If its tourist areas ice is normally okay as they make it with good water.
i brush my teeth with tap water but also use mouthwash.

I highly suggest buying some lomotil tablets, they are great for slowing down or stopping and sickness when it comes on.
Thanks, I have something similar in IMODIUM. Also have Travelan which claims to minimise upset stomachs.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I've never had an issue in Thailand, even eating street food for most of my meals. Stick to food served hot and quickly after it's cooked and you'll be fine. Ice is okay in some circumstances, you can do your own research on that.

Honestly the only time I've gotten really sick in SE Asia was in Singapore...
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kangaroojack
Will be off to Cambodia/Vietnam/Thailand in January. Any tips in staying healthy? A big no no is ice. How about raw salads? Raw salads are everywhere in street food and restaurants. Bottled water to brush teeth?

Any advice and suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
How many times have you visited Vietnam?
If this is your first or second trip, I would suggest to stay away from street food and market food to avoid "shock" with your digestive system. Food served in restaurants would be safer, including ice and raw vegetables. IMHO, using bottled water to brush teeth is not needed.

After several trips, you can try street food. At least this is how I plan out with my US-based colleagues when we have trips in Vietnam.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Brushing your teeth with tap water in some countries helps to get your immune system associated with the local bugs and to build up a resistance. Ice usually is not a problem. Salads, depending upon where you are eating, could be an issue however if the locals are eating there I would typically say that it would be fine.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hxhbk
How many times have you visited Vietnam?.
My first visit to Cambodia and Vietnam.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
I've never had an issue in Thailand, even eating street food for most of my meals. Stick to food served hot and quickly after it's cooked and you'll be fine. Ice is okay in some circumstances, you can do your own research on that.

Honestly the only time I've gotten really sick in SE Asia was in Singapore...
LOL ... my last trip was Hong Kong and Singapore. Had street and hawker type foods and was Ok. I had a few beers then some pub food and was crook the next day. That was Singapore.

Last edited by kangaroojack; Dec 28, 2015 at 7:13 pm
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
A good reason to be on the safe side and ensure that you have a wonderful trip.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
LOL ... my last trip was Hong Kong and Singapore. Had street and hawker type foods and was Ok. I had a few beers then some pub food and was crook the next day. That was Singapore.
Yes, but I'm not sure it is valid. Street food in Singapore might be safer than restaurant food in many countries, including western ones !
Old Dec 29, 2015, 2:42 pm

Thanks, I have something similar in IMODIUM. Also have Travelan which claims to minimise upset stomachs.
Lomotil is far better than immodium^
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
My usual spiel is, in Thailand, eat where locals are eating and you are very unlikely to have problems.

Never had any problems in Vietnam but if you feel safer in restos that's fine.

In Cambodia stick to restaurants and even then there's no guarantee.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Never had any problems in Vietnam but if you feel safer in restos that's fine.

In Cambodia stick to restaurants and even then there's no guarantee.
Affirmative.

In Bali/Ubud now, on our second week of travel. Been to Vietnam (Hoi An) and Cambodia (Siem Reap) before that. And yes, we live in Singapore and always eat in hawker centers, never had any problem.

The only time we had a (minor) problem during our trip it was after arriving in Ubud and get a takeout from the only open restaurant that time (10PM). Which was BTW, 3x more expensive that average food options. Everywhere else during the trip it was fine.

We had number of restaurant and banh mi take-out in Vietnam and it was the most delicious food we had during this trip. In Siem Reap we ate at stalls next to Ankgor temples (pretty much the only places you can eat there) and at our small villa-hotel. Plus we asked expats working there for recommendations of a local food and they recommended places where we ate and nothing happened as well.

Have to warn that unless you are willing to spend the same amount on food as you spend in US (like $35 for a meal) you will find food in Siem Ream vastly inferior comparing to Vietnam. In other words for $7 meal you will have way more delisious food in Vietnam than in Siem Reap
Old Jan 1, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: most of them
I've been traveling to SE Asia every year for about 10 years, and I get at least a little sick every time. Just returned from about a month in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. I didn't worry much about ice. Typically I brush my teeth using tap water. I started feeling a bit ill in Luang Prabang and stopped by a pharmacy for a course of cipro which did the trick. I've been told that the bugs over there are getting cipro resistant though. After spending some time in hospitals a couple of times I have a bit of a hair trigger when it comes to taking the serious drugs. All immodium does is block you up, which is fine if you absolutely need to travel on a day and have no other option. But keeping the bug inside you longer isn't necessarily the greatest idea.

One of the hospital visits followed a meal at a "nice" restaurant in Taroko Gorge in Taiwan. So there's no guarantee based on the kind of establishment you eat at.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. Off tomorrow doing SYD-BKK-REP-HAN-SGN-BKK-SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.