Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taxi at Tan Son Nhat Airport , Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Taxi at Tan Son Nhat Airport , Vietnam

We will arrive late ( ~11:00PM) at Tan Son Nhat airport ( Vietnam). Does anyone know if the taxi counter is still open at this time of day . Does it safe to take a taxi to district 1 at this late hour

If not, please advise how can we avoid scam taxi . How much it cost from the airport to district 1.

Thank you
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:25 pm

You wont need taxi counter, just walk out the door after customs to the taxi stand, look for Vinasun or Mai Linh taxi only, both are very good.
Taxi to District 1 in August for us was about 140,000-150,000 dong ($7-8 USD).

Wife and i only ever use Vinasun and never ever had a problem with them, good drivers, clean and good aircon.^
Old Nov 21, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
When you exit the airport after passing through the x-ray machine at customs you can find a variety of ATM machines outside the building (after passing through the crowd of people waiting for passengers) turn right and go around the corner at the end of the building. (opposite side of the building from the taxi line). W/D 3,900,000 or 4,400,000 to receive smaller bills. (Keep 500K notes separate from the other notes to prevent a mistake when paying bills).

I walk past the taxi cue and just look for a vinasun taxi (usually a white van with red and green writing) Walk past all the other taxi brands (don't worry, nobody will care). The vinasun taxi rep will give you a small piece of paper with the taxi number written on it if there are any problems.

The driver will pay 10,000 dong to exit the airport. Just tack this onto the fare upon arrival in D1.

No problem with late night arrival. The airport always has taxis and if you're not drunk or walking around begging to have your cell phone snatched out of your hand then safety isn't your main concern. Traffic and dehydration are by far greater dangers.

Tips aren't expected by taxis but 10-20K will mean a lot more to the driver than it will to you. (less than a buck)

With no traffic Firemansam quoted a fair price.

Don't worry if the taxi takes small dark streets they all have their favorite route to D1.

Have fun and enjoy.

Last edited by too2early; Nov 21, 2015 at 1:11 am Reason: grammar
Old Nov 21, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: AV,ST,OW Gold, Marriott Gold
Well said you guys. Vinasun or Mai Linh . I live in Saigon and it's one of the safest cities. Enjoy VietNam. It's amazing.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I much prefer to have my hotel arrange the airport transfer. In addition, the wonderful Hanoi Transfer Service now operates in Saigon (and Hanoi and Danang) - go online and arrange a cheap transfer. Nice to have someone welcome you to Vietnam with a big sign!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

I read information and very confuse at the moment . Can someone please clarify

After arrival ( from international fly) and clear immigration and X-Ray of my luggage, I will exit the door, passing thru the crowded area ( with people waiting outside) , I will turn right and go all the way to the end of corner of building. I will see many taxi in cue, waiting for their turn . I just pass by them and go until I see Vina sun or Mai Linh taxi . The Mai Linh or Vina sun representative will give me a voucher with number on it. Here is my question

1) IS the number written on the voucher taxi license number ? Not sure how to find the correct taxi to board . Please clarify

2) Do I pay have to pay upfront before getting the taxi voucher

3) I was told, if I can not find Mai Linh or Vina Sun taxi. I can go to the departure area and catch a taxi from there. Please point out if where is the departure. Is it in the same terminal of international building?

4) Does any one has a link of Tan Son Nhat airport map to shows where is taxi counter for Domestic terminal and international terminal

This is out first trip and we heard many story of taxi scam in Vietnam, so I like to learn all information before our trip .

Thank you
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Either Mai Linh or Vinasun are fine. Although I always take a left and go past the taxi queue to get them (not right). Both companies have representatives at the curb to help you out.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
I read information and very confuse at the moment . Can someone please clarify

After arrival ( from international fly) and clear immigration and X-Ray of my luggage, I will exit the door, passing thru the crowded area ( with people waiting outside) , I will turn right (turn right to get cash at ATM, turn left to find a taxi)and go all the way to the end of corner of building. I will see many taxi in cue, waiting for their turn . I just pass by them and go until I see Vina sun(It's Vinasun in one word) or Mai Linh taxi . The Mai Linh or Vina sun representative will give me a voucher with number on it. Here is my question

1) IS the number written on the voucher taxi license number ? Not sure how to find the correct taxi to board . Please clarify (The taxi has the name written on the taxi and the sign on top. The ticket has the taxi registration number on it).

2) Do I pay have to pay upfront before getting the taxi voucher (No, you pay cash the amount x 1000 on the meter plus 10,000 for airport exit fee) Example 150 shows on the meter is 150,000 dong plus 10,000 airport fee, total 160,000 dong

3) I was told, if I can not find Mai Linh or Vina Sun taxi. I can go to the departure area and catch a taxi from there. Please point out if where is the departure. Is it in the same terminal of international building? (Plenty of taxis when you arrive at night, just find the taxi rep and he will take care of you)

4) Does any one has a link of Tan Son Nhat airport map to shows where is taxi counter for Domestic terminal and international terminal (google it)

This is out first trip and we heard many story of taxi scam in Vietnam, so I like to learn all information before our trip . (Don't worry so much. If you get totally screwed it would be for less than 3USD)

Thank you
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Just a quick update on this... everything is still pretty current as of Feb, 2017.

I arrived SGN, exited the terminal, turned left and walked past what looks like a typical taxi stand. At the far end of the terminal, there were a bunch of Vinasun taxis. A company representative saw me, handed me a paper with something scribbled on it, and directed me to a taxi. The driver used the meter and the fare to D1 (very near Ben Thanh Market) was 136. I gave a generous tip for his honesty.

Returning to the airport, I took another Vinasun from the hotel, and had a similar fare.

I am sure there are scams to be had, but everything went perfectly well for me on this trip.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:23 pm

Just thought I'd add, I was there a few weeks ago and got an Uber from the airport to D1 and then from D1 to the airport. The fare was 80,000 dong going from the airport and 79,000 going to it.
I got out of the airport at midnight and the Uber took about twenty minutes - with a ten minute pick-up time.
Going to the airport the traffic was pretty heavy and it took about 45 minutes

Considerably cheaper than the taxi and no risk of being scammed. The only problem was the arrivals area was very busy when I arrived and it was a little difficult to spot cars, so you had to keep your eyes peeled and look carefully.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: AV,ST,OW Gold, Marriott Gold
Uber is good as its cheaper than normal taxis which are already very cheap. Otherwise Vinasun and Mai Linh are excellent options, they got meters.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
I used Uber and worked well for me. Only slight problem is I needed wifi which I could only get inside terminal.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Everything is status quo from above. Exited the terminal and headed left, walked silently past a handful of touts, and at the very end of the taxi queue was Vinasun and Mai Linh. The latter's only car had just departed so I took the former. Traffic was not light, but neither was it crazy, probably 35 min to the Park Hyatt and the meter read 135K.

On another note, the arrival hall was completely empty. With an evisa I walked up to an open agent, waited a few minutes for my bag and was curbside 15 minutes after exiting the plane.

This morning Uber is showing D 69K to the airport. Wow, that's inexpensive!!!
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:01 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I'm sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I wonder if there are any updates on this subject.
I am just like OP arriving late (≈11 pm) to SGN and just want to get rather quickly to Hilton Saigon in district 1.

I am not an uber user, but is that the way to go? All suggestions appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.