Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hoi An and surrounding - tour guide needed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:25 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver

I am planning a trip to Hoi An, but was wondering if it's somewhere a personal driver/tour guide is needed? I am staying in old town, but I do plan to do a day trip to Hue if possible. Input and recommendations welcome!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

We did Hoi An and and Hue on our own, but booked a guide to see the My Son Cham Ruins near Hoi An. We needed transportation to get to them anyway. Be aware that Hue is north of the Danang Airport and Hoi An is south. I've just looked at google maps and see the two towns are more than 3 hours apart. You might want to fly into Hue, stay there a night and see it, then get a driver to take you to Hoi An.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:26 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Ahh I would prefer to spend what little time I have in Hoi An and fly to DAD. Which is a direct flight from HK so it's more convenient as well. Are taxis easy to find in town without prior reservation or no?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:00 am

We did this last year. We flew from Hanoi to Hue, then drove down to Hoi An. I wouldn't do it as a day-trip. We had the hotel in Hue organise a car for us that took us down but via My Son sanctuary, so difficult to give you exact timings.

I do not think you need a tour guide, though we did have one in Hue who took us around many of the temples on the outskirts of the city, but we walked the fortress by ourselves. Hoi An is very walkable, and not that much to see in the near vicinity - the closest place being My Son.

Personally, we both really liked Hue and preferred it to Hoi An (many fewer tourists to start), and thought it had more charm. If you could make Hue work, then do consider it.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Hue to Hoi An is 3 - 4 hours by car - be sure to take the extra time to go via the Pass rather than thru the road tunnel.

No need for a guide - I did My Son with a driver - who left me to explore on my own - unless you want an indepth explanation of every brick you can do the walk around on your own with the information provided
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
I JUST did this last week. We flew from Hanoi on the morning flight to Hue. We toured there for the day and stayed one night. The next day, we went to Hoi An.

We used Le Family Riders for a motorbike tour around Hue City for the day. It was $15 per person. They picked us up at the airport, took us to their house for breakfast while they got ready. Then, we went to their coffeeshop for a quick drink before our ride (both were included). We rode on the back of their motorbikes all day touring the famous sites - the citadel, a pagoda on the river banks, a nice park on the top of a hill over the river, two temples, a covered bridge, rice fields and a very local restaurant on the side of the road. They take you on back roads and through villages, so you get a very cool view of the real area that you wouldn't in a car or driving on your own. The actual tour lasted from around 12-6, but we were with them upon arrival at 10. The dinner was not included, but it was 1 USD each.

We also used them the next day for a ride from Hue to Hoi An. I drove my own bike for 45$ and my friends rode on the back for, I think, $55-60. If you and a friend share one bike, it's 40$ each. This was the highlight of my entire Vietnam trip.

On the trek to Hoi An, we left at maybe 8:30. For those driving, they make you practice and go around the street a few times to make sure you're comfortable. They also give you knee pads, helmets, elbow pads, gloves, all that. During the drive, their drivers also act as "flank" in traffic to get you through any busy spots.

It was amazing. We drove through rice fields, a small town, stopped for a coffee and snack and then to a fishing village. At the village, they let you stop and take pictures (and are good about knowing where to take them and doing them for you). Then, we went to the "Elephant" (just a statue) swimming hole with a lot of locals. After the swimming hole, we went to a really awesome seafood restaurant on the edge of the moutanins. Then, we took the pass up and over and stopped for pictures at the top. To end the day, we drove down through Da Nang, stopped at Marble Mountain (ice cream and water snack first), then ended the day in Hoi An with a beer at their tailor shop while they organized our hotel transportation and we cooled off (no pressure to buy).
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
I meant to mention that on the longer tour from Hoi An to Hue, EVERYTHING is included. Water, coffee, food, beer, snacks, entry fees, everything. EXCELLENT value. They even gave me free cigarettes haha.

If you go from Hoi An to Hue, you'll just do the same schedule in reverse. They do this everyday, five times a week for like six years they said.

https://www.google.co.kr/search?q=Le...sm=93&ie=UTF-8
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Hoi An is a great place, but it's near 99% tourism (I've been there 3 times). Hue is a small city (probably 45% tourism) and an educational center. As others have said, a day trip from Hoi An would be much too rushed. I'm not a fan of Hue since I was scammed there too many times, and I'm not really a history buff, but I must say that Hue is one of the most attractive cities in VN, and both Hoi An and Hue have the best of Vietnamese cuisine. There is more to Hoi An than just the beach and town - several islands just off the coast of Hoi An are worth exploring, as well as the My Son Cham Ruins and Danang City is just next door (Hoi An and Danang share the same beach strip).

My little hotel (March '15) in Hoi An was exceptional - $37. for a 3* garden room by the pool at Riverside Impression Homestay. I really loved this place for the location, comfort and friendliness of the host family (more of a small hotel than a true homestay).
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:44 pm
Suspended

help with Hue

I will be flying HKG-DAD arrive 9am, want to head to Hue and spend the night and most of next day before heading back to DAD for a flight to HAN.

Want to see The Imperial city and Minh Manjs Mausoleum any other suggestions?

would appreciate hints for a good hotel in Hue for 1 night (no dump) , transport to/from DAD?

if it matters 11/1 date will be there

tia
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I am planning a trip to Hoi An, but was wondering if it's somewhere a personal driver/tour guide is needed? I am staying in old town, but I do plan to do a day trip to Hue if possible. Input and recommendations welcome!
Hoi an is a historical, heritage location, it have many stories after any house, any architecture, any bridge, so you should have a tour guide who can talk English well. You will have a interesting trip, then travel like a local.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Can't wait

I'm visiting Asia for the first time and more specifically Vietnam next April, and simply cannot wait!

I have planned visits to all 3, Hoi An, Hue, Da Nang as well as Hanoi & Halong Bay. I'm actually in VN for 16 days.

I think I've got a tour guide organised for Hanoi, but will see.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by Cris L
I'm visiting Asia for the first time and more specifically Vietnam next April, and simply cannot wait!

I have planned visits to all 3, Hoi An, Hue, Da Nang as well as Hanoi & Halong Bay. I'm actually in VN for 16 days.

I think I've got a tour guide organised for Hanoi, but will see.
It'll be a good trip (though beware pickpockets). I did the classic end-to-end over 3 weeks years ago and would rate the northern half slightly above the south, though both had highlights. I wouldn't miss Perfume Pagoda and that area, with the streams and the boat tours around karst formations on land (check out images on Google). It's south of Hanoi.

Dunno if they still sell the expensive-shoe knock-offs in Hanoi (i.e. fake high-end Nikes, or whatever the hottest thing is) but if you wear 'em for very long your feet will regret it.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:58 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I'm headed to Hoi An next month for the first time. Very excited! We are staying in Hoi An for 2 nights then IC Danang Sun Peninsula for 5. I was hoping to do a day trip to Hue while there, but it seems as if it might be too far for one day? I'm guessing we'll have to skip it, especially since we have a 1.5 year old. I'm thinking of heading to My Son instead. Anyone know if that can be done in a half day trip from Danang? I'm assuming it's not a place you would want to bring a stroller? Thx.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by myeurocrush
I'm headed to Hoi An next month for the first time. Very excited! We are staying in Hoi An for 2 nights then IC Danang Sun Peninsula for 5. I was hoping to do a day trip to Hue while there, but it seems as if it might be too far for one day? I'm guessing we'll have to skip it, especially since we have a 1.5 year old. I'm thinking of heading to My Son instead. Anyone know if that can be done in a half day trip from Danang? I'm assuming it's not a place you would want to bring a stroller? Thx.
From Da Nang to My Son ruins is about 90 min car ride at most. So if you start early in the day (which I recommend to avoid the mid-day heat), and you are happy with a couple of hours strolling around the site, a half-day trip is doable.

You probably know that the Intercontinental Sun Peninsula is quite a way from downtown Da Nang, around 30 min by car. The hotel does provide shuttle on a fixed time table. Taxi will cost you around 10 USD each way. As I am a person who likes to walk around downtown and enjoy food at local eateries, I found my stay at the IC a bit "cramped".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.