Wiki Posts
Search

How long in Myanmar?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
How long in Myanmar?

I've spoked with a few experienced travel agents, as well as fellow travelers who have been to Myanmar.

Would the following itinerary seem appropriate for a visit to Myanmar?

- Yangon, 1.5 days, 2 nights
- Bagan, 2 days/nights
- Inle Lake, 2 days/nights
- Ngapali Beach, 3 days/nights

Any thoughts on more/less time in any of these places?
Old May 23, 2015, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
I've spoked with a few experienced travel agents, as well as fellow travelers who have been to Myanmar.

- Bagan, 2 days/nights

Make sure you visit Mount Popa when in Bagan. Also the temples there in Bagan are amazing--you can take a "hot" air baloon ride early in the morning.
We enjoyed Mandalay--which is not on your list. We did not go to Myanmar for the beaches--so we skipped Ngapali. We spent 2 weeks in the country.
Also 1.5 days in Yangon seems a little short--many things to see
Old May 23, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
What is your total time in Myanmar?

1.5 days definitely too short for Yangon as posted above, especially if arriving long haul.
Yangon has changed a lot in the past couple of years, lots of great vibrant new bars & restaurants, social scene etc - but the heritage is such a plus & takes time to explore.
I first moved to Myanmar in 1999 for work, spent the better part of a decade in the country and it is still one of my favourite places.

Ngapali isn't a must-see place. Beaches are beaches. Ngwe Saung and Chaungtha offer a more local feel if beaches are a must.

Definitely do the Balloons over Bagan. An unforgettable experience. Book well in advance.

Consider Mandalay instead of Ngapali - it is a good base to explore nearby Shan state, Pyin Oo Lwin, Sagaing etc

What sort of things do you want to see/experience/do?
Might help to get more responses
Old May 26, 2015, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Hello
thanks for the responses!

i have about 2.5 weeks in SE asia, but the first part of my trip will be 3-4 days in cambodia to explore angkor wat.

That gives me about 8-10 days in Myanmar.

I also really, REALLY want to do a beach, it is needed on all vacations. Mostly just to relax and swim, I only care about beach quality in this case. Maybe is makes more sense to go to Thailand for beaches? But I prefer no crowds, thus why I chose Ngapali.

I need a list of items to do/see/eat in Yangon...how many days do you think? 2.5? 3?
Old May 26, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: most of them
I know that things are changing rapidly, but the infrastructure in Myanmar is still not the same as surrounding countries. So factor that in as far as getting around goes. Plus I don't know when you are planning to go but factor the weather in too. The tropics are not a great place for rushing around.

Totally agree on Balloons Over Bagan if they are flying when you are there. I think they only operate during high season, or at least they did when I was there.

Of course it depends on the sorts of things you like to do. I spent over 2 weeks a few years ago that did the "big 4" plus Mrauk U. But I like a slow pace.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
<snip>
That gives me about 8-10 days in Myanmar.

I also really, REALLY want to do a beach, it is needed on all vacations. Mostly just to relax and swim, I only care about beach quality in this case. Maybe is makes more sense to go to Thailand for beaches? But I prefer no crowds, thus why I chose Ngapali.
Ngwe Saung is an alternative to Ngapali if you're after no crowds. 4-5 hours drive from Yangon by car, scenic trip.

I need a list of items to do/see/eat in Yangon...how many days do you think? 2.5? 3?
Look for Myanmore on google, sign up for their newsletter, I think you can choose Yangon, Dining, Arts/Culture, Bars etc in the sign up, leave out the rest.
It is hands down the best resource for what happens in Yangon, and will give you an idea of how many days to stay.

Shwedagon Pagoda at dawn or sunset is a must for a Yangon 1st trip.

Finally, what month are you travelling? this is important in planning, monsoon no through to September. Cool(er) and dry in Dec/Jan, hot Feb onwards
Old May 27, 2015, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seavisionburma
Finally, what month are you travelling? this is important in planning, monsoon no through to September. Cool(er) and dry in Dec/Jan, hot Feb onwards
ill be there in January
Old May 28, 2015, 1:39 am

ill be there in January
Perfect, couldn't pick a better month!
Old Jun 7, 2015, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Out of curiosity, what kind of work were you doing there for a decade starting in '99?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Rotus12
Out of curiosity, what kind of work were you doing there for a decade starting in '99?
Consultant in maritime & aquaculture industry
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC

- Bagan, 2 days/nights

I did nearly the same itinerary, although adding in 2 nights in Mandalay a few Decembers ago. I thought timings were good apart from Ngapali beach. Despite the weather supposedly being perfect in December, I had 3 days of cloud and drizzle on the beach, which was quite miserable. Also, don't both snorkelling there as the reef is dissapointing.

Another vote for the Balloons over Bagan. Book early via a local agent, as they have better rates than booking direct. I stayed at the (Thiri Marlar Hotel ([email protected]) which I would reccommend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.