Advice Sought On East Malaysia Itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Sought On East Malaysia Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by pho9187
Thank you one and all for your great information!

vespa7 - Thanks for all the info on Sandakan. Was the walking tour an all day affair? Did you go to the any of the sites outside the city, such as Sepilok Orangutan Center, the new Sun Bear center, the Probiscus Monkey Center, or the Gamantang Cave?

Does anyone else out there have feedback on any of these sites?

Lastly, I still am unclear how to find drivers for this trip. In some cases I want a driver to pick me up at the airport, and take me directly to some sites for the day, so susiesan's excellent suggestion about going to a local tourist office may not work, as I need to plan in advance. Anyone have a suggestion? I usually try to avoid travel agencies because of the extra costs, but I may have no choice this time. Either that or I can just wing it at the airport. What do you all think?

Thank you all again!
the sandakan self-walking tour maybe will take you half a day. the biggest point of interest we thought was the Agnes Keith house/ museum. it gives you an idea of the area/ people in colonial times. it was interesting.
For car hire, we used our concierge at the four points sheraton. he was very good at arranging everything for us, super helpful and informative. He was top-notch.
When we first arrived in Sandakan via the airport, there is a taxi cue you arrange your ride at the kiosk there in the airport.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:49 am

also yes we visited the Sepilok Orangutan center & Gamantang Cave. Those visits were both included in on the 4 day tour i gave you the link for.
the Sepilok orangutan center was actually pretty good, but you will enjoy seeing the orangutans much more in the wild from the riverboats..I wasn't crazy about the Gamantang cave, but interesting to see regardless. the cave has millions of bats and cockroaches.... so not a highlight for me b/c of paranoia & the smell was horrible, but outside the cave, we did spot an orangutan with her baby hanging on to the side of the escarpment. Also many hornbills were in the area as well.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
You can most probably hire a driver for the day at Sandakan airport.

In Kuching, we drove to the Hilton Batang Ai (actually the point where the boat comes to get you) and stayed there I think 1 night. We did a nature walk and visited a "village". It was a real village; they host home stays, too. It was interesting, but touristy. We also drove to some caves and a beach about two hours from Kuching. Otherwise, just wandered around Kuching. (I'm a wanderer, not much on planned sightseeing.)

Arranged the Kinta. . . River stay in KK with a travel agent two blocks from the Hyatt. I don't remember the name, but I wouldn't recommend it. The river stuff was great; the lodgings not so much. Check what the lodgings are like before you book.

Stayed at Borneo Rainforest Lodge last summer. Very nice, great food, saw an orangutan across the river.

Next time, I plan to spend a couple of days at the mountain and so some hiking.

We did a scuba trip to the islands at KK. It was OK. (The diving at Sipadan is out of this world.)
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Gold
We took cabs from the airports to the hotels. None cost more than $10.

We visited both Sepilok and Semengoh orangutan Centers. Semengoh is way way better. You get to walk within 10 feet or so of some of the orangutans unlike at Sepilok where you have to stay behind a fence. We booked the day trip to Bako NP at the travel desk of the Pullman Hotel in Kuching. There were 2 ladies with us so only 4 people.

While in Kuching be sure to eat at Top Spot Seafood food court. We ate there twice. Amazing cheap seafood restaurants on the 6th floor on top of a parking garage. it's quite the experience. Go early as it gets very crowded with locals.

As soon as you get to Mulu go to the booking desk and set up all your walks. We did one each morning, one each afternoon, and one night walk. Even though you have to go with a guide it is fabulous. One walk to a smaller cave was just my husband and I and the guide. I have never seen anyplace in the world like Mulu. Well worth the effort, time, and cost to visit.

Last edited by susiesan; Mar 28, 2015 at 11:31 am
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
+1 on the seafood court. Went there two nights out of three.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your potpourri of great advice. Thanks to all of you, my trip plans are solidifying. However, you are making me hungry with talk of the seafood in Kuching.

vespa7 - Thank you for the details about Sandakan and surrounding area. I was debating about the Agnes Keith house, but you have sold me. The Gamantang Caves don't sound appealing, and I will see enough caves in Mulu. I think I will go to the POW memorial museum in the morning, and then do your walking tour of Sandakan in the afternoon. Where did you get your itinerary for your walking tour--do you have a link?

manneca - Thank you for mentioning the Hilton Batang Ai. What a coincidence. I was thinking of dropping my three nights in Bako, and spending 2 - 3 nights at the Hilton Batang Ai instead (with day trip to Bako from Kuching). Was the scenery in the area unique? Any more thoughts on the topic?

susiesan - Your Mulu insight is fabulous, and you can now book your cave tours in advance. Do you remember which ones you did? I don't want to slip or get muddy. Here's the link:
http://mulupark.com/tours-activities/

So basically, I think my itinerary is good, except that I am debating whether to substitute the Hilton Batang Ai for two to three nights, for Bako National Park (with a day trip to Bako from Kuching). What do you all think?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Mulu Caves

We did the Deer and Lang Caves, Clearwater & Cave of the Winds, Fastlane, Lagang Cave, Canopy Walk, and Night Walk. All are on paths and wooden or concrete platforms. There is no climbing, easy walking. Be sure to wear rubber soled shoes that don't slip. Our night walk got cut short due to rain. We missed seeing the bats come out.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Thank you, susiesan, for your cave tour itinerary. This helps me so much with my planning, as I was worried that I would get muddy and slip. I am going to go on the same tours as you did, and I will leave the adventure caving for those who are younger and more daring.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Hi

I may be a bit late in commenting but anyways.

1. Avoid Brunei. Save your time, your money and just fly from Sabah to Sarawak.
2. Avoid renting a car and attempting to drive from Sabah to Sarawak via Brunei.
3. East Coast of Sabah is fine security wise now. Much, much better than 2 years back. However, I would caution against staying over night for at island resorts for the time being off the coast. If you do want to go to an island, make it a day trip.
4. The bus journey is a long 8-9 hours from KK to BSB. Seriously, if you must visit brunei, fly in and fly out. You are on a tight schedule as it is so best use your time wisely and enjoy your travel around Borneo.
5. Which accomodations are you staying at in Sukau?
6. The road out of sukau to the main highway leading to Sandakan is ..... So, leave EARLY for the airport and don't take for granted you can do the journey to the airport in 1 hour or 2 hours. Just play safe. Nothing to do at sandakan airport..it's in the midst of construction and renovations so bring a book! They do have souvernier shops in the departure hall about wild life and so forth of Sabah so may be worth checking out.
7. Approaching "Random drivers" at the airport sounds like a really bad idea. More than likely, you may end up gettingl ripped off to kingdom come so get it organized/sorted ahead of your flight into Sabah and Sarawak. (pm me if you want a lead on the driver we used for our mt kinabalu trip a couple of months back..reliable and was charging decent rates).
8. NEVER let a random guy in KL airport especially sort out your transport/transfers...KLIA airport is notorius for tourist getting ripped off before they have even checked into their hotels. (also have 1-2 leads on licensed taxi drivers we use on our business trips to KL if you are interested. pm me if you want their numbers).
9. Sandakan town is divided into the old quarter (down by the harbour) and the new quarter (up on the hill at mile 3/mile 4). The old town is interesting in it's own way but it generally is a really run down town full of shop houses built in the 60's and 70's. The morning fish market directly in front of the Sheraton Four Points is worth checking out if you want to have a bit of a taste of local life and want to get some photo's.
I would advise walking about outside the Sheraton at nights after 7pm. The quality of service at the restaurant and food leaves much to be desired to be honest but it's okey. I would not say it was fantastic but it's sufficient. If you are brave enough and have company, there are a couple of local 'coffeeshops' behind the hotel that have fresh sea food cooked fresh and local style that are worth checking out but go with another couple or another guest.
Crime in Sandakan is very low but the old quarter is pretty much 'dead' after 7pm-8pm.

For Kuching, I recommend making sure you book a hotel in downtown Kuching near the water front. It's LOVELY and tons of beautiful handicraft shops along the water front to check out.

The orang utan sanctuary is hit and miss. If you are going to the orang utan sanctuary in sepilok in sandakan, I honestly would not bother with the one in kuching.

In sandakan, you are pretty much guarranteed to see the young one's coming out to feed twice a day. Not at the one in Kuching. The last trip we made there was absolutely wasted. An hour plus to get there and the orang utans decided not to come out..and that's all.

Don't forget to check out the filipino market in kota kinabalu (directly opppsite the Le Meridian) at night..ton's of local foods/seafood/handicrafts...

Enjoy!
Good luck and enjoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.