Wiki Posts
Search

Burma-Laos-Cambodia - please help plan the itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Burma-Laos-Cambodia - please help plan the itinerary

And and my wife were in Cambodia/Siem Reap last December. It was above our expectation, so we decided to go back this year, but add Burma and Laos.

If anybody has been on such or similar trip, could you help plan the itin? I am thinking that 2 weeks should be enough to cover with following conditions:

- travel from country to country should be done by air to minimize travel time. Thus, reliable airlines are recommended - yes I remember the flight which crashed in Laos.
- we are not backpackers but not leisure 5* hotel travellers either. Budget is max $100/day (excluding airfares) for everything - hotels, food, fees to enter sites, etc.

Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Sorry but those 3 countries in 2 weeks is just totally crazy and absurd. You will spend an enormous time in airports and transfers and will see close to nothing. Just focus on one country (2 weeks in Burma is nothing extraordinary, I would even suggest 3 weeks there) or 2 countries (Cambodia and Laos).
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Sorry but those 3 countries in 2 weeks is just totally crazy and absurd. You will spend an enormous time in airports and transfers and will see close to nothing. Just focus on one country (2 weeks in Burma is nothing extraordinary, I would even suggest 3 weeks there) or 2 countries (Cambodia and Laos).
Thanks for feedback. We plan to spend in Cambodia/Angkor three days. Now, with remaining 11-12 days what/how would be best for Burma?

Sorry, have to fit it in that timeframe, not all people have luxury with 3 weeks vacations to spend in one place.

Last edited by invisible; Mar 2, 2015 at 12:36 am
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by invisible
Thanks for feedback. We plan to spend in Cambodia/Akkor three days. Now, with remaining 11-12 days what/how would be best for Burma?

Sorry, have to fit it in that timeframe, not all people have luxury with 3 weeks vacations to spend in one place.
For the duration of vacations, I perfectly understand the duration constraints, but what you do during your vacation time is entirely under your control, and so you can focus on one country if that's what you want (but obviously it's not ).
I don't think you will have 11-12 days for Burma if you leave for 2 weeks and spend 3 days in Siem Reap. Because take into account all the travel times to/from airports, wait at the airport, flight times including connections (likely in your case). A day is passing very quickly for this. I assume you will have 9-10 days max (of visiting time) in Burma. So, assuming this, I would focus on Bagan, Mandalay and one or 2 days in Yangoon (you'll be likely obliged anyway to pass through RGN for flying in-and out, although there are now a few international flight to Mandalay, mostly from BKK). The Inle lake is a must-see also but I think it is too tight.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
As usual Goldorak is spot on.

Many years ago I spent 3 weeks in Myanmar and it was a great period of time. Relaxed and low key. After a few aborted more recent attempts I got back with family a year ago with only 8 days in country. It was a rushed experience and we left some things out to avoid being more rushed.

A more common pairing would be Cambodia/Laos. You can fly REP-PKZ for a start in the south or continue on to VTE if the northern area is more to your liking. Also Lao is much more compact and cheaper fitting into both your available days and your budget.

Mid-tier places in Myanmar seem to be priced way over what I'd consider to be reasonable in the main tourist areas. At least from what I was seeing in the trip planning last year.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Mid-tier places in Myanmar seem to be priced way over what I'd consider to be reasonable in the main tourist areas. At least from what I was seeing in the trip planning last year.
They are more expensive than Cambodia? A nice hotel room with breakfast, pool, etc not so far away from the city center at Siem Reap was no more than $45.

If lodging is way above this, I'd rather skip and until infrastructure is developed. What situation looks like in Laos?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: most of them
I'm in the process right now of planning a similar trip with about 2 weeks in Cambodia and Laos with a couple of weeks in Thailand as well.

Myanmar is a question of supply and demand. And while I take it that capacity is being added, the tourism boom of the last few years has driven up lodging costs quite a lot.

So I will agree with Goldorak and dsquared that combining Cambodia and Laos makes more sense.

The trip I am planning is still a little in the air because I haven't decided whether to go north to south or south to north yet. But basically my trip will include driving (or riding in the back of a car anyway) between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap for a couple of days exploring along the way. From SR I plan to do a trip that includes Koh Kher (or Ker), Beng Mealea and Preah Vihear. Plus I plan to just spend a few days in SR.

From SR fly (by Lao Airlines) to PKZ (Pakse or Pakxe). The idea is to take a cruise that lasts a few days down the Mekong and then go to Bolaven Plateau. Back to PKZ and fly from there to Luang Prabang and hang out there for a couple of days before flying back to BKK.

However those flights are in the $150-200 range one way (I am pretty sure) since they are monopoly routes. Once you're on the ground though things are not expensive.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by invisible
They are more expensive than Cambodia? A nice hotel room with breakfast, pool, etc not so far away from the city center at Siem Reap was no more than $45.

If lodging is way above this, I'd rather skip and until infrastructure is developed. What situation looks like in Laos?
Yes, prices in Burma have increased a lot, mostly due to high demand and insufficient offer. Laos is not in the same situation and you are more able to find affordable places to stay if that's what you're looking for.

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I'm in the process right now of planning a similar trip with about 2 weeks in Cambodia and Laos with a couple of weeks in Thailand as well.

Myanmar is a question of supply and demand. And while I take it that capacity is being added, the tourism boom of the last few years has driven up lodging costs quite a lot.

So I will agree with Goldorak and dsquared that combining Cambodia and Laos makes more sense.

The trip I am planning is still a little in the air because I haven't decided whether to go north to south or south to north yet. But basically my trip will include driving (or riding in the back of a car anyway) between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap for a couple of days exploring along the way. From SR I plan to do a trip that includes Koh Kher (or Ker), Beng Mealea and Preah Vihear. Plus I plan to just spend a few days in SR.

From SR fly (by Lao Airlines) to PKZ (Pakse or Pakxe). The idea is to take a cruise that lasts a few days down the Mekong and then go to Bolaven Plateau. Back to PKZ and fly from there to Luang Prabang and hang out there for a couple of days before flying back to BKK.

However those flights are in the $150-200 range one way (I am pretty sure) since they are monopoly routes. Once you're on the ground though things are not expensive.
Your planning for Cambodia and Laos seems perfect to me. You can combine Koh Ker and Preah Vihear in the same day trip from SR. Or combine Koh Ker/Beng Meala on the same day trip from SR. Unbelievable places to see
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
This may save a few $$
http://www.airasia.com/ot/en/book-wi...sean-pass.page
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

But basically my trip will include driving (or riding in the back of a car anyway) between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap for a couple of days exploring along the way.
I forgot to say something. Your profile indicates you are from the USA and so, don't even think about driving in Cambodia, unless you are very familiar with the local way of driving and rules (or lack of rules ).
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:30 pm

Don't worry. I don't drive anywhere outside the US. I'll have a guide/driver. That's why I'll be in the back seat.

The plan is to see Beng Meala and Koh Ker one day and overnight near Preah Vihear to see that the next morning before returning to SR. I guess there's a new boutique hotel near PV.

I work with a travel agency in BKK that has organized lots of trips for me around the region who will be putting it together.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Not for this particular trip.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

The plan is to see Beng Meala and Koh Ker one day and overnight near Preah Vihear to see that the next morning before returning to SR. I guess there's a new boutique hotel near PV.
^
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

You might find the PKZ-LPQ flight cheaper on the ground but you are very unlikely to do so for REP-PKZ and LPQ-BKK.

I'd suggest you look into a PG/QV Discovery Pass.

http://www.bangkokair.com/pages/disc...irpass-routing
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:29 pm

thanks for that tip^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.