Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Singapore or Tokyo for Duty Free Alcohol?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent

I'm connecting through LAX, Tokyo and Singapore for a trip to Bali and want to buy 1L of whiskey for the trip. Price wise am I better off buying it in Tokyo or Singapore? I'd prefer SIN for logistical reasons but don't mind buying in Tokyo if I save a few bucks. I usually don't buy duty free, have no clue as to prices.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I find DFS at SIN better than NRT as well as better selection.

If you buy it at LAX and transit at NRT/HND you will not be able to clear security.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Check out this master duty free thread over DiningBuzz Forum that may give you some pointers:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dinin...est-finds.html
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Singapore would definitely be your best bet..Excellent options to choose from..You could also consider picking it up on arrivals at DPS as well, not sure though of what kind of variety they'd have though..
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Pick it up in DPS on arrival is the easiest. They have all the standard whiskies and scotches. Tokyo duty free isn't that great, however, you can get Japanese whiskey if you're interested.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tentseller
I find DFS at SIN better than NRT as well as better selection.

If you buy it at LAX and transit at NRT/HND you will not be able to clear security.
Was pricing a bottle of Glenlivet for a friend along with with some other brands. LAX was $55 US, JFK $42, NRT $49, SIN $46

I agree with most everyone else just p/u the bottle when you get to SIN, but for sure dont get ripped off by getting it@ LAX!

Last edited by craz; Feb 25, 2015 at 11:37 pm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by craz
Was pricing a bottle of Glenlivet for a friend along with with some other brands. LAX was $55 US, JFK $42, NRT $49, SIN $40+ but < NRT

I agree with most everyone else just p/u the bottle when you get to SIN, but for sure dont get ripped off by getting it@ LAX!
SIN duty free would have pretty much most of the popular Whisky's and Single Malt's....
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by quarryking
SIN duty free would have pretty much most of the popular Whisky's and Single Malt's....
was told this morn @ SIN that the Glenlivet was $46, so out of the OPs 3 choices at least it seems SIN will be heh cheapest and a person doesnt have to schelp it on and off any flight/s. Thats had NRT allowed it which they dont for connecting passengers.

But it des vary at the US shops depending on which airport you are flying out of, JFK 9again depends on which term you leave from) seems to be the cheapest of all US airorts. I found LAX & SFO to usually be very expensive
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent
Thanks everyone. Will I have an issue with the gate check security in SIN going to DPS?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
If the bag is seal with the tamper-proof tag it should be ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.