Search

3 day Bali/Ubud itinerary - please critique

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:43 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
3 day Bali/Ubud itinerary - please critique

Hi all, I am spending 3 days in Bali (excluding days of transit) and have made a very broad itinerary, please let me know if this is doable. Thank you in advance for your help!

Day 1: arrival 5pm
Check in at local residence
Dinner in Ubud – recommendations?

Day 2:
Explore Ubud on foot
Water palace
Monkey park
Kehen temple

Are there scenic rice fields you would recommend?

Day 3:
Hired a daily driver to take us to Ulun Danu– does this take the whole morning? Are there nearby places to visit as well?
Stopping at rice fields on the way
Lunch back at Ubud
Afternoon at Tirta Gangga – does this take the whole afternoon? Are there nearby places to visit as well?
Dinner at Ubud

Day 4:
Morning transit to Candi Dasa / Mangis
Snorkeling / diving / beach

Day 5:
Morning on the beach
Transit to DPS at noon for 4pm flight – is this enough time or should I leave earlier?

When it comes to eating in Ubud, can anyone recommend some local places? I do not want to travel to Ubud to have modern American food, I would much rather have local Balinese cuisine. Thank you in advance for your help!
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: most of them
It takes about 90 minutes from Ubud to DPS. So you should have plenty of time. There's not much to do at the airport. When I was there in Oct there wasn't even a real lounge yet which I thought was fairly inexplicable for a new(ish) airport.

Plenty of local eating options in town. There's a place called Umah Pizza that seems to be fairly well known. There's a sign for it on the main road that points you up a steep street where the restaurant is located. There are several other cafes on this street. I ate twice at a nice little place that is among them. I don't recall the name but it is open air and had a nice greeter out front. They had really good drinks, I had a mint tea thing that was quite tasty. Nice atmosphere with candle lit tables and fresh flowers in little jars on the table. The satay was an enormous portion and very tasty. I had a bigger meal there the second time which was also very good. Prices were very cheap at both places.

The town is a little bigger than it might seem on a map. So walking to all of those places will take a little while.

I wish I had spent the couple of bucks and bought a ticket to one of the traditional dance performances. There are a few places around town that do them at dinner time. There are kids out on the streets selling tickets. One gave me his pitch which was very earnest. But I wasn't interested at that moment. However the next day I was thinking I should have done it. It wasn't particularly expensive and I'm sure those few bucks mean more to them than they did to me.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
This may offer a few suggestions:

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...ants-ubud-bali
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:18 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks for the input. By exploring Ubud on foot, I really meant exploring on motorized scooters. I should have clarified.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
For dinner: If you want "fine dining" I would check out Bridges in Ubud - it's very touristy but had a mix of local and western dishes. Atmosphere was very nice but pricey - similar to what I would pay at home in NJ.

In terms of scenic walks/rice terraces - if you are up for a hike take the Campuhan Ridge walk to Jl. Bangkiang Sidem. Continue on Jl. Bangkiang Sidem for a mile or two and you'll see some very nice terraces - there was one that let us walk around and take photos. You can pick up the walk from behind Temple Pura Gunung Lebah.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by agp423
Thanks for the input. By exploring Ubud on foot, I really meant exploring on motorized scooters. I should have clarified.
Do you have an Indonesian driver's license? The fine is about 100 bucks and they target tourists .
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I liked the nighttime cultural performances in Ubud. That and the very low-priced accoms with breakfast delivered to your porch. And not having the aggressive hawkers/touts like in Kuta. Candi Dasa reminded me of places in Hawaii (volcanic, black sand, etc.). U can take a different tour by day and see a different show by night for several days there, and the central location makes getting to a number of the places more convenient.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:49 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Do you have an Indonesian driver's license? The fine is about 100 bucks and they target tourists .
I did not know that. Will definitely get a personal driver then.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by agp423
I did not know that. Will definitely get a personal driver then.
Good plan. Save you some headaches!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:16 am

Here is some more scooter info. I have heard of the "fine" being up to 100 dollars in Kuta.

http://www.brendansadventures.com/ho...ooter-in-bali/
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:23 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Does anyone know if there are plenty of ATMs in Ubud? I do not want to bring too much cash and would rather withdraw when needed, but am concerned about availability of ATMs.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:12 pm

Not every 50 feet like kuta or seminyak but There are ATMs in Ubud and banks as well to exchange cash if needed according to recent web postings I searched on Google.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Lightbulb Best of Bali Dive Safaris 2015 & 2016

Greetings from Bali!

After another successful year, AquaMarine Diving - Bali (AMD-B) is launching yet again our Best of Bali Dive Safaris 2015 & 2016.

We have 3 itineraries for our Best of Bali Dive Safaris 2015 & 2016. The 3 itineraries are fantastic value, with great diving and accommodation - choice of 13, 8 or 7 day programmes and all have fixed start dates, are guaranteed to go ahead with a minimum of two divers and are for the following set durations.

I hope that you are as excited as we are for the launch of the Best of Bali Dive Safaris 2015 & 2016 and I have no doubt that you will jump at the chance to relax, unwind and enjoy spectacular diving in Bali!

Please contact AquaMarineDiving - Bali for more information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.