Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Three Week Stay in Bali- Kost/Apartment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:36 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Compliments of the season, FT

I may be going to Bali in two weeks with the intention of kicking back for three weeks.

I am willing to stay anywhere - preferably in a kost or apartment used to foreigners - at a maximum of (Rp.) 4 juta for the whole stay. Wi-fi would be great (even if connections rarely are) and laundry once/twice a week would also be welcome if included.

Bali is not my first choice, but that PHL-DPS deal...so I would use it as a base. Or is Lombok still much cheaper (if much less developed)?

Thanks,
BMB
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Lots and lots of accom offers in Bali - for all budgets etc.

Where in Bali do you want to base yourself?

Most private rentals are done with 1 years rent in advance - normally done for much longer and paid all up front - so you need to be looking for normal tourist accom

Lombok is certainly less developed but by the time you pay to get there - you may not save anything.

Lombok has a different feel as its predominatly Islamic - Whereas Bali is predominately Hindu. Lombok certainly is slower and has some amazing beaches plus the ability to do a day trip to the Gili if on that side of the island

Last edited by adampenrith; Oct 29, 2014 at 4:03 am
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, adampenrith.

Yep, I'm familiar with the cultural background of the two islands, but not so much about accommodations/transport.

In Bali, it appears that traffic continues to get worse, and public transit is unreliable. How about in Lombok?

(To be blunt, based on a couple of factors, I may be going to China instead. Though this thread about short-term stays might help others in the future.)

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Lots and lots of accom offers in Bali - for all budgets etc.

Where in Bali do you want to base yourself?

Most private rentals are done with 1 years rent in advance - normally done for much longer and paid all up front - so you need to be looking for normal tourist accom

Lombok is certainly less developed but by the time you pay to get there - you may not save anything.

Lombok has a different feel as its predominatly Islamic - Whereas Bali is predominately Hindu. Lombok certainly is slower and has some amazing beaches plus the ability to do a day trip to the Gili if on that side of the island
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:32 pm

Just came back from an 11 nites stay in DPS...

I booked a hotel on Expedia for $US35 a nite, including a bountiful breakfast and free wifi. Beautiful little boutique hotel.
It's like a $US3 taxi ride to the exclusive beach at Nusa Dua, of all the 5 star hotels and resorts. But quite a way to the more lively beach of Kuta.
The next time, I would stay in the Kuta area.
Taxis are the most headache I encountered. Meter, no meter, minimum fare and all the BSs. I did not even dare to venture into public transportation there. I took buses in BKK, SIN, Beijing and Shanghai to name a few.
Hope this helps give you an idea about the cost factor.
Safe travel.

Last edited by Keller281; Oct 30, 2014 at 6:33 pm Reason: Insert more infos
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keller281
I booked a hotel on Expedia for $US35 a nite, including a bountiful breakfast and free wifi. Beautiful little boutique hotel.
It's like a $US3 taxi ride to the exclusive beach at Nusa Dua, of all the 5 star hotels and resorts. But quite a way to the more lively beach of Kuta.
The next time, I would stay in the Kuta area.
Taxis are the most headache I encountered. Meter, no meter, minimum fare and all the BSs. I did not even dare to venture into public transportation there. I took buses in BKK, SIN, Beijing and Shanghai to name a few.
Hope this helps give you an idea about the cost factor.
Safe travel.
Thanks for your data points, Keller281.

Bali is a hassle because there is barely any competition for taxis, and the angkots do their own thing. Kuta is a mess, and although Nusa Dua is a bit far from things (which might be nice!), a bountiful breakfast does sound tempting...
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:47 am

I hope it's OK to mention the hotel by name...

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Thanks for your data points, Keller281.

Bali is a hassle because there is barely any competition for taxis, and the angkots do their own thing. Kuta is a mess, and although Nusa Dua is a bit far from things (which might be nice!), a bountiful breakfast does sound tempting...
It's the Santika Dusa Nua. It's a small chain boutique hotels in Indonesia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.