Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cambodia and Myanmar travel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Smile Cambodia and Myanmar travel

We are two senior citizens wishing to travel to the two countries listed above. What travel agents would you recommend? What stops are a must? We wish 5* accommodations, Feb. 2015 time and a two week duration. Any important suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:47 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For further discussion, let me move this to the dedicated forum on Asia. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For Myanmar, I can't recommend Pandaw Cruises enough. Smaller older style (but brand new, immaculate) riverboats, well-designed en -suite accommodations, e.xcellent food, itinerary includes well-selected land excursions - and you don't have to pack, unpack etc. every day.

Pandaw also just launched a Mekong cruise, iirc Siem Reap to Vientiane.

Cruise fare includes crew gratuities, English speaking guides, etc. Optional extras would be, alcohol, laundry, etc. we love Pandaw, a nod during the Myanmar floods they refitted their boats as floating clinics and provided services with volunteer medical staff, water distillers, foodstuffs etc.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 24, 2014 at 2:30 pm
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: most of them
Not a lot of 5-star accommodations in Myanmar. While things have been improving, the impression I have is that the tourist infrastructure is still lagging. I was there 3 years ago and it was definitely tough to get around in some places. Domestic airport terminals are old and cramped. It's a fascinating place, but you definitely need to pack your patience and have reasonable expectations.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:32 pm
Community Director Emerita

We used an individual guide in Myanmar, highly recommended by another FTer, for our trip 3 or 4 years ago. He did an excellent job. By happenchance, he contacted me this week. His name is Ye Naung. Should you want to contact him, he uses a gmail address. The first part is ye.naung700@.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:08 pm

Solo female traveler here, visited Myanmar in December for 10 days. Recommendations below. For greater detail and photos, click here for the trip report

RECOMMENDATIONS:

Travel Planning
• Book early: demand exceeds supply
• Use Oway for booking flights
• Use Agoda for booking hotels
• Bring crisp $100 bills for exchanging

Bagan
• Eat at Queen and Mingalabar Food Bar
• Explore the Bagan Archeological Zone by e-bike
• Stay in Old Bagan
• Buy a map at a major temple
• Pack warm clothes in the winter

Inle Lake
• Stay (and eat dinner) at Viewpoint Lodge
• Eat lunch at Butterfly Restaurant, Bar and Spa
• Rent a bike, ride the perimeter of the Northern part of the lake, and hire a boat to cross to the other side (then ride back to where you started)
• Hire a boat to Inthein

Yangon
• Take the $1 circular train ride
• See Shwedegon Pagoda (but don’t miss the nearby Sein Yaung Chi Pagoda either)
• Eat at Monsoon
• Shop at Pomelo (next door to Monsoon)
• Walk the streets between the major roads in Central Yangon
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:56 am

Myanmar hotels are over-priced due to lack of supply. Typically 3 star hotels charging 5 star rates. Check out trip advisor and throw your dart

For PP Cambodia, highly recommend a boutique hotel, White Mansions
http://www.hotelphnompenh-whitemansion.com/

They have a nice pool, very friendly/professional staff and good location. Try to get the small-suite on the second floor, first door after the winding staircase [sorry, forgot the room number!].
Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
Myanmar:

Definitely go to Bagan - explore the old archaeological zone and temples. Best way to get around is electric bike which can be rented for $5 or so a day. I would recommend the Bagan Logdge in Old Bagan if you want nice accommodations. This is the newest property in town, and was very well-appointed.

Yangon is also a must see, and your jump-off point for Myanmar. It can be a bit tough to get around, and the city is very rough around the edges. There is a Shangri-la and Traders hotel in the central downtown area, and probably your best bet. Never made it to Inle Lake region but would have if I had more time.

Cambodia:

Phnom Penh was alright if you want to see learn about the genocide and history of the Khmer Rouge. Definitely head to Siem Reap - the temples of Angor Wat and the entire area are a must see. You can get around either on bike or private tuk-tuk which are very cheap (tuk tuk maybe $15 a day). For hotels, I stayed at Le Meridian Angkor which was close to the temples, and a 5 minutes tuk tuk to town. There is a Park Hyatt, but I did not care for the location - was right in central downtown, I wanted something a bit more quiet.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:02 pm

For Myanmar, I would recommend the Shangri-La. There is a lot to do in Myanmar, if you could be more specific about any interests you might have, I could narrow down some must hit sights. It would be best to go with a travel agent, but also important to feed the travel agent what you want to do!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:31 am

Trader's in Yangon is pretty good, though a lot more expensive than a few years ago. It's called Sule-Shangri La now & it even sounds more expensive. In PP, I'd go with Raffles (Le Royal), the Intercontinental, or the Sofitel. In SR, I've only stayed at Le Meridien, but there' lots of other ***** options now.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1MM, Global Entry, UA GLD, TSA PRE
Why $100 crisp bills for exchange? What about those coming from Europe that can't get their hands on $100 notes? Are $20 notes fine? ATM's available?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Bonaturtle
Why $100 crisp bills for exchange? What about those coming from Europe that can't get their hands on $100 notes? Are $20 notes fine? ATM's available?
Dollars are still the preferred currency to exchange in Myanmar but it is possible to change other currencies like Euros. Most exchange places will give you a better rate for USD100 (and sometimes USD50) notes than they will for smaller notes. A lot of places will refuse to exchange USD 100 notes if they are even slightly warn (smaller notes they are not so fussy but still will not accept very warn notes)

There are now ATMs in Yangon accepting both Visa and Mastercard.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: most of them
When I was there a few years ago I didn't have any trouble changing $20 notes. The rate was pretty much the same. One place I changed money in Mandalay though didn't like a couple of the $20s so they gave me a slightly lower rate for those. The difference wasn't enough to cause me any heartburn. I always laugh that they require pristine notes and then give you the crappiest, oil-soaked, falling apart kyat.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1MM, Global Entry, UA GLD, TSA PRE
I'm reading all over that isn't needed at all anymore. Hotel and all flights are already paid for by CC, and kyats's are accepted for everything. Also, ATM's are around now, so not as much a concern?

True?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Bonaturtle
I'm reading all over that isn't needed at all anymore. Hotel and all flights are already paid for by CC, and kyats's are accepted for everything. Also, ATM's are around now, so not as much a concern?

True?
Yes you only have to pay in dollars for hotels, flights and the entrance fee to some sights. Most tourist focused restaurants will accept either USD or Kyat. Everything else will be Kyat only.

There are ATMs now but it is only about two years since they were introduced so they are still not as common as most other places around the world. Personally I would still take some USD cash as a back up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.