Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting Vietnam

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Visiting Vietnam

First time for this Aussie to Vietnam in November this year... SIN-HAN then Halong Bay, then rail to SGN over several days (stopovers at Hoi Anh and Nha Trang), then out via SGN-DBX. I'd appreciate ANY useful pointers on travelling in Vietnam, including latest info on using taxis. Anyone...?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by DownandWelded
First time for this Aussie to Vietnam in November this year... SIN-HAN then Halong Bay, then rail to SGN over several days (stopovers at Hoi Anh and Nha Trang), then out via SGN-DBX. I'd appreciate ANY useful pointers on travelling in Vietnam, including latest info on using taxis. Anyone...?
Not as familiar with taxis in other cities, but in SGN, Mailinh and Vinasun are very reliable. Other taxis not so much.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
You really don't want to do the whole trip to Saigon by rail, it's too time consuming and there's really little to see from the train. I would fly the Danang-Nha Trang sector because that's where there's no "tourist train" - better class service on Livitrans and the Golden Train.

My advice is not to rush - take your time and enjoy this wonderful country. Don't skip Sapa - most beautiful place in all of VN!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
In SGN I use and mostly trust Vinasun. They also own over 70% of the market (by my estimate). Most of the cars are clean with running AC, and rarely will they take you the "scenic route."

As a backup if you can't find a Vinasun, MaiLinh is a decent 2nd choice, followed by PetroLimex and Saigon Airport Taxi. AVOID all others at all costs, it's better to walk than to take an off-brand taxi.

I would also agree that spending 28+ hours on a train is a waste of time, and that's assuming things actually run smoothly. You're subject to delays and cancelations.

If you must, I would highly suggest flying HAN-DAD (closest airport to Hoi An), then picking up the train from Da Nang.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: Mekong Club
Because your arrival airport is HAN, I think I can give you some suggestion on Hanoi's taxi. From the airport to downtown area where most hotels are located, it usually costs a quite fixed price, about 350,000 VND or 17-18 USD. They only allow limited brands to pick the passengers up at the airport. Mai Linh (green cars), Noi Bai (white/grey car with small yellow logo) or Airport taxi (grey and purple doors) are most reliable. In downtown area, the most popular and most reliable is Mai Linh and Thanh Nga (small cars only, KIA Morning I think). Thanh Nga is cheaper. My tips about moving by taxi in Hanoi could be found in the link below:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...ggestions.html
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:44 pm
Suspended

mailinh are everywhere and also xeom ( motor bike drivers) more than anything
try xeom but fix the price first
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vietzay
mailinh are everywhere and also xeom ( motor bike drivers) more than anything
try xeom but fix the price first
The status of this poster is quite interesting, and relevant to the information in this post.

IMO - Unless you are an EXPERT traveler to Vietnam, please DO NOT use "Xe Om" to get around. Besides safety being a factor (Saigon averages 3 traffic deaths per day), there have been many reports of xe om drivers who target tourists and either overcharge for their services, or drive them someplace to rob/mug victims.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Day trip to HAN or SGN

I'm thinking of doing a day trip to HAN or SGN - is that feasible? (I'm not really that into museums).

Any thoughts if I should just hire a car+driver for the day?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
I'm thinking of doing a day trip to HAN or SGN - is that feasible? (I'm not really that into museums).

Any thoughts if I should just hire a car+driver for the day?
A day trip from where? What do you want to see/do?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by 5khours
A day trip from where? What do you want to see/do?
long layover between HKG and SIN
probably just want to see the important sights, with museums de-emphasized
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by c1mth0g
long layover between HKG and SIN
probably just want to see the important sights, with museums de-emphasized
If the stop is in SGN, then you won't need a private driver... so many taxis around, especially the "major" sites. It'll be quicker to hail a nearby taxi rather than wait for your driver to come get you, who will have a hard time finding parking in many places. Plus, taxis overall will end up being cheaper.

If in HAN, you may consider the driver, since there isn't as much taxi density, so more of an advantage to have that driver waiting around for you.

Overall, SGN will offer more to you in terms of non-museum things to see and do. It will easily fill up your time.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black
I was just back from a week's trip at Saigon. Pretty amazing city (less the hot weather). I used Saigon hotpot for my local tour guide, It is a voluntary club run by local students, my experience with them on 2 occasions was splendid. There are no charges, however we are expected to cover all costs including their meals (i did bring them to have a better restaurant lunch and brought the guide for a cocktail @ my hotel with my partner after the tour)

http://saigonhotpot.vn/?doing_wp_cro...81011962890625
Here is where you are able to arrange for the guide.

Here is the photo album to my Saigon trip in april 14
https://www.flickr.com/photos/118006...7644529767384/

For taxis, stick to vinasun and you are pretty safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.