Search

KLIA2 and Air Asia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF
KLIA2 and Air Asia

Hi All,

I am flying to KUL with AirAsia on 03/05 (landing around 10pm) and then flying back out around 9am the next morning on the same airline. The plan was to get the train into the city and stay at a hotel around Sentral. I know that KLIA2 is expected to open on 02/05 but I'm a bit concerned that AirAsia may decide to delay the move from LCCT. If so how much of a hassle would the trip to the city be from the LCCT for a newbie? Would I be better off staying in a hotel in Putrajaya?

Scott.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Air Asia is declining to move at this stage based on concerns with safety issues.

To try and use the train from the LCCT is way to hard.

There are regular buses to Central for not a great deal of money, you can puchase a ticket on these from the Air Asia website.

I took small limos for something like 140 Malaysian Ringgit, which is about $50 USD

Takes at least 1 hour, so maybe better to find an airport hotel of which there are several
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by dino84
Hi All,

I am flying to KUL with AirAsia on 03/05 (landing around 10pm) and then flying back out around 9am the next morning on the same airline. The plan was to get the train into the city and stay at a hotel around Sentral. I know that KLIA2 is expected to open on 02/05 but I'm a bit concerned that AirAsia may decide to delay the move from LCCT. If so how much of a hassle would the trip to the city be from the LCCT for a newbie? Would I be better off staying in a hotel in Putrajaya?

Scott.
You'll be using LCCT. There are MYR10 (or so) buses between Sentral and the airport: easy. Forget the train, which makes for a somewhat complicated and expensive journey.

If you don't want to make the hike into the city for such a brief stay, there are hotels close to the airport offering transfers.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks adampenrith and IAN-UK, so the consensus is that KLIA2 won't be happening then? I looked at the transit hotels but apart from the Sama-Sama (a little on the pricey side by Malaysian standards) the quality didn't seem to be the best. The Tune in particular while the most convenient option didn't look very comfortable and I'd be a little worried about the quality if they were in the process of winding down operations and moving to KLIA2.

Scott.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I've never needed to stay at KUL, but many friends have done so connecting to/from Air Asia and MH services. There certainly was a smart hotel (i think Pan Pacific) attached to the main terminal, and a number of others (Concorde?) around Sepang. I heard no loud complaints about any of them.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:49 am

The Pan Pac is quite good and priced accordingly, but the Concorde is a dump. Staying at the Hilton or Meridien in KL Sentral would be my first choice.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just suck it up and stay at the toon. You can endure one night there and the attached restaurant is actually pretty good. Tony F eats there often in fact.

Last edited by moondog; Apr 23, 2014 at 3:13 am
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:56 am
Original Poster

I've ended up booking at the Sama Sama, with a pregnant partner I thought it would be best spending extra for the additional space/comfort. Managed to get a $25 off voucher from Qantas hotels which softened the price a bit. Thanks everyone for their input.

Scott.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:32 am

There is no such place as the Pan Pacific any more. It's been rebranded as the Sama Sama.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:40 pm

A week to go, and they seem pretty gung-ho on opening KLIA2 on May 2nd as planned. The ERL will open their extension on the same date, but Air Asia has announced that they'll move on the 9th, so looks like you'll still be at the LCCT.

There's also a new Tune Hotel opening at KLIA2:
http://www.tunehotels.com/my/en/our-hotels/klia2/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.