Wiki Posts
Search

Visa / VOA Info for Sri Lanka

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2009, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: American exec platinum, marriot platinum, radisson gold
Visa / VOA Info for Sri Lanka

Does anyone know whether one needs a transit visa to stop over in Colombo for a couple of hours on my way to Bangkok? I have an Indian passport.

Thanks
Old Nov 7, 2009, 5:22 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by fanofflying
Does anyone know whether one needs a transit visa to stop over in Colombo for a couple of hours on my way to Bangkok? I have an Indian passport.

Thanks
Welcome to FlyerTalk fanofflying ,

I am going to move this thread to the Asia forum, where you will find posters who can address the issue you have raised. Thanks for your understanding.

With best regards,

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Colombo Visa on Arrival

Following the new electronic visa for Sri Lanka, requiring "two working days" to process. I noticed the visa website has a section that says it is still possible to obtain a visa on arrival "for an extra fee"

Would be glad to know if anyone has done this and just how much the fee is....

Thanks

D.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:24 am

I think it is $25 for a single entry visa at Colombo airport

http://www.eta.gov.lk
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Executive Gold, Delta million miler
Visa to Sri Lanka

Hi, buddy!!!

I need your advice.

I applied my Visa to Sri-Lanka through Online ETA Application 5 days ago.
But, I Have not received any response from Sri-Lanka.

How should I do for my Visa?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
You should have received an email indicating that the process has started.
If successful, you will get an email with the ETA codes.

If no first email, something failed and I would try again.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: Skywards
Transit Visa On Arrival at Colombo, SriLanka

Hi.

I will be travelling from Rome to Bangalore with a 20 hour layover at Colombo on SriLankan Airlines.

Should I get a tourist visa in advance or will I be eligible for a free TRANSIT VISA ON ARRIVAL at Colombo Airport? If yes, then will this transit visa allow me to exit the airport, explore the country/city and return to the airport for the connecting flight?

My emails to SriLankan regarding this were redirected to ETA and the ETA office has not responded to my queries.

Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
You can apply for 48 hour transit visa online free.
http://www.eta.gov.lk/slvisa/visainf...p?locale=en_US
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Yes, you will get a free transit visa. Just show the outbound flight at the immigration Officer.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
I did this, they will give you a free transit visa as well as a hotel at or near the airport. The airport is far from the city and on a weekday there is a lot of traffic so it might not be worthwhile to go downtown. However, the airport is near the beach so I am sure you can find somewhere to go.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:53 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion, please follow the thread as it moves to the Asia forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
To be on the safe side, my wife and I have applied for a tourist visa to Sri Lanka. We have never been there before, so are looking forward to the visit.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Do airlines still give you a room if the connections time exceeds 8 hours…?? Thought most of them did away with this over the years….??
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Update: just returned from Sri Lanka. Visa didn't go through in advance, so my wife and I used VOA. Very quick and painless; just presented passport and completed application. Visa attached to passport within seconds (and free SIM card) was handled over - no words spoken. Visit was enjoyable. Since a relative is a VIP, I got to meet and shake hands with President Mahinda Rajapaksa at the Presidential Secretariat!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: Skywards
So the Transit visa for Colombo does NOT permit one to enter Sri Lanka. They have to stay in the airport. This is an excerpt from the email I received along with the Transit Visa:

"Validity of ETA (DD/MM/YYYY): Valid 2 days ONLY. (Use before 05/03/2015)

Purpose of Travel: Transit - Transiting through Sri Lanka
(You are NOT permitted to use this ETA for any other purpose. )
This ETA allows ONLY you to transiting through Sri Lanka and you will not be permitted to enter Sri Lanka."
I have a 20 hour layover at Colombo. Srilankan airlines say they cannot arrange a hotel for the following reason:
3. The connecting flight must be on the first available connection.
There is an earlier connecting flight in the same route, so they say I am not eligible for hotel and now ETA says Transit visa, though valid for two days, does not permit me to enter Sri Lanka.

Guess I have to get a tourist visa then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.