Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bali in mid-Feb '15? Bad time of year to visit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium

My girlfriend and I had an AA Award trip booked to Bali for May '15. However, after proposing and her becoming my fiance she wanted to cancel the trip to focus on planning (and saving) for the wedding. Based on our plans & commitments, it looks like mid-Feb is our first realistic time for a honeymoon.

She still wants to go to Bali but tonight I've been reading that mid-Feb is very rainy. Before I bring this up to her, I just would like to get confirmation of my concerns and also possible recommendations for alternatives. Any with OneWorld airline partners or utilizing Cathay Pacific F for some flights definitely get bonus consideration as do Marriott properties. But, as this is a honeymoon, I'm more concerned with a good 'where' to go as opposed to tying it to the 'how' of award tickets or properties where I have status. I'm OK paying a small premium for the things we'd appreciate (or going without if its a large premium).

She's not been to anywhere else in Asia. I've heard Phuket or other Thailand beaches would be a bit better in Feb. Also would be open to Tahiti or Fiji if those are better this time of year.

She really wants to go to Australia and I've been looking for Qantas or Hawaiian Air (SEA-HNL-SYD) awards but its still too far out to book and the rates I've seen of $2k/person R/T coach are a bit hard to swallow.

Thanks All!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:05 am

Hi
Yes Bali is indeed rainy now. I live in Jakarta & never go to bali before April, just to be sure of good weather. Phuket or Khao Samui would be good choices.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I was in Bali a few weeks ago, and it wasn't that bad.

I'd definitely try to get CX J or F award tickets. (Not sure if they currently have F flights). I guess I'm more partial to Bali than Phuket.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
No CX F to Bali. Just J.

QR also flies to Bali from SIN.

The rain doesn't last long - tropical storms usually pass fairly quickly.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: various
I've been in Bali during February and while there is a little rain from time to time, it wasn't bad, definitely not an impediment to sightseeing and enjoyment. Not overly inundated with other tourists, either.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I loved Bali during the rainy season. Less crowded. And it didn't rain non-stop anyway... just a couple times per day, and it would come through pretty quickly. The sun is shining brightly in almost all of my photos.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Congratulations!

My own strong preference is in favor of going to places at the best time of year, weather-wise, which would rule out February in Bali. I do respect the input from folks who've been to Bali during February and found it fine, but would still want to know what the typical February rains are like there. That is, are you likely to get lots of sun punctuated by occasional cloudbursts and just and hour or two of rain? Or do you stand a fair chance of many days of dreary gray and drizzle? If the former, it might be worth it. If the latter, the trip would be a no-go.

Having said that, one caution I'd offer about Bali is that most beaches there range from fair to lousy, with most of Nusa Dua, one of the most upscale beach areas where there are lots of international hotels (including the splendid Conrad Bali, where my wife and I stayed several Septembers ago), coming close to lousy. The island is wonderful for all sorts of reasons, including nice hotels by the mediocre beaches; some beautiful upland areas; interesting culture and spiritualism in people's daily lives, etc. But I would not rank Bali as a top beach destination at all.

For great beaches with good weather in SE Asia that you could get to in mid-February using Cathay Pacific F (which is an absolutely fantastic way to start and end your vacation!), there is no end of great options in Thailand. Two there (and one in Malaysia, also with good weather in February) that we've liked and where you can use hotel points (though I realize that's not your priority) are:

1. Le Meridien Khao Lak, about a 75-minute, easy and air-conditioned taxi ride away from Phuket airport. Very nice Starwood property on a pleasant and extremely long stretch of beach, with great, inexpensive, open air restaurants and massage shacks an easy stroll away along the beach. Relatively reasonable in terms of points and/or cash plus points redemptions. (I believe that there is also a nice JW Marriott in Khao Lak, though not on the same beach as Le Meridien.)
2. Conrad Koh Samui. No real beach to speak of, but it's compensated for by the fact that it's an all-villa hotel build into a dramatic hillside, with each private villa having its own pool. Costs a ton of Hilton points, though, unless they are offering a points plus cash deal for the dates in question.
3. Andaman Langkawi. Another great Starwood property.Unlike LMKL, no cheap beach eateries or massages nearby. But compensating features are that it's located on an extremely scenic bay and on the edge of a jungle, so lots of animals (monkeys, flying lemurs, hornbills, hawks, etc.) to see on or near the hotel grounds. (Not at all bad in terms of bugs, though - saw very few and got very few bites, even without mosquito repellant.) Like Le Meridien, a good points or points/cash value.

Two additional pieces of advice:

1. Wherever you go, make sure to let the hotel management know in advance that it's your honeymoon and ask, very politely, whether an upgrade might be possible in view of that. Don't expect it, lest you be disappointed. But it can't hurt to ask.
2. Find out when the Chinese New Year period is and, if possible, avoid that period and a few days after it. Not a crucial consideration, but some SE Asian hotels are busier during that time.

Happy trails!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
I often spend a month in Bali in May, during the Dry season, but sometimes it rains. Sometimes it is just a passing shower, other times it might go for a few hours. It is never cold, and depending on how much the rain is, sometimes its a good time to swim, if there is no lightening, or sit under an umbrella, if its heavier, maybe the bar or a good time to shop or go for a spa treatement.

In the Rainy season, same deal. It rarely rains in Bali for more than a few hours, during the rainy season it is more common late afternoon or evening, but like anywhere it can rain all day.

you can never predict the weather.

I had 3 weeks in Bali in December, and yes we saw some rain at night, and a couple of times during the day. No big deal.

If you have the opportunity to go to Bali - GO don't worry about the weather
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: QFF, HH
I was in Bali last Feb for 4 days and yes it did rain a bit in the afternoon - still got plenty of sun time by the pool villa in the morning! As pointed out though, it's not cold when it rains, it can actually be quite pleasant to be out in it - although it gets steamier for a while afterwards obviously!!

Beaches are better at the top of the island from the little I've seen up there, or on neighbouring Lombok - I've not been to the Gili Islands, but have heard there are some nice beaches up there too.

February and a little rain wouldn't be a deal breaker for me personally ... I've also been to Phuket in Feb and it was much the same where we stayed just out of Phuket Town.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:57 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

It's unpredictable.

The last time I went to Bali during the rainy season was early March 2008. It didn't rain at all then. [I]However/I], that was after a major flood happening February 1-2 of that year, when I made it to DPS (Bali's airport) after slogging for eight hours through the muck in Jakarta.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
March is the end of the rainy season. The rain at that time of the year is usually short, and who knows, next year there might not be any! Rain is a fact of life in Bali and can be charming.

Bali is magical and if March is when you're going, so be it! Get a nice villa with a pool overlooking rice pattys in Ubud and you won't really care if its raining anyway - you'll be blown away by the views.
Old May 5, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Chinese New Year period
February 19, 2015. Usually lasts a few days on both sides of that date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.