Wiki Posts
Search

Mastercard ATMs now in Yangon

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Mastercard ATMs now in Yangon

I know a lot of FTers are travelling to Yangon at the moment and thought you might find it useful to know that the first ATMs to accept Mastercard have started to appear (not accepting Visa yet but I am sure that will follow very soon).

So far I have seen two one at the Chatrium hotel and one at the bank on the corner of U Wisara Road and Dhamma Zedi Road (but I am sure there are others as well)
Old Dec 16, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: SK EuroBonus, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Has anyone tested yet? Do they spit out USD or Burmese kyat only? Would be interesting to know what kind of fees are being charged. If it's similar to withdrawing cash in a hotel I wouldn't consider it such a big deal. Regardless, most MasterCard issuers charge a hefty fee for ATM withdrawals, so I guess bringing in a huge pile of cash will still be the primary mode of accessing your money in Burma.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

I believe they only issue Kyat. I have not tried them as I do not have a Mastercard but when the visa ones come I will give them a try.

But yes definitely not a solution you will still need to bring in USD for hotel and flight costs. But for the first time there is now a back up if you run out of cash here.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I am in Burma now and noticed such ATM in Yangon and Mandalay. But that doesn't mean they accept foreign cards.
However, the CC situation will change rapidly in Burma. Some hotels told me they will accept payments by CC next year.
For those of you who are coming in Burma, do not forget to bring brand new undamaged and unfold dollar notes. The slightest "damage" or marking will make your note unusable. This is absolutely crazy. They are also refusing notes from "old" series. Take this very seriously, otherwise you will get in trouble here without money and without possibility to have some "fresh" one.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:44 pm

In addition, add some extra money to your budget. During my 1 week stay last month, many guest houses were full and we had to stay in more expensive options. Also we found many unique souvenirs that cost us a few extra kyat. ^
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA G, Ex-DL GM, Ex-UA 1P
I tried to use my Mastercard at the ATM in the Yangon airport that was supposed to accept them, but the phone lines were down at the time, so it didn't work. As others have said, they are downright brutal about having new bills. The exchangers were more lenient than hotels and travel agents, but in order to save a lot of stress, get BRAND NEW bills. I had what I thought were very good bills, but some of the hundreds had once been folded in the middle and there was a slight discoloration where there had been a crease, and I had a lot of trouble getting anyone to take them.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:48 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
What sort of denominations (USD) should I be bringing into the country? Should I change all my dollars into kyats at the money changer or hold onto some dollars?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:09 am
Original Poster

You should bring a selection of notes.

For changing into Kyat you will normally get a better rate if using USD100 or USD50 notes. But they really need to be spotless or else some will reject them.

It is good to have some smaller notes as well to pay entrance fees to some of the sights.

Although for most places want and prefer Kyat (remember it is still technically illegal for Myanamr citizens to have foreign currency without special permission). Still some tourist focused places only accept USD eg hotels.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA G, Ex-DL GM, Ex-UA 1P
Typically you pay for hotels and bus/flight/train tickets with USD and everything else with Kyat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.