Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights within Myanmar

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Flights within Myanmar

Does anyone know anything about how to get around Myanmar by air? I am looking to fly within the country and want to know what the best airline is and how to purhcase tickets.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:28 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please continue to follow this thread in the Asia forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old May 2, 2012, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by jakesideas
Does anyone know anything about how to get around Myanmar by air? I am looking to fly within the country and want to know what the best airline is and how to purhcase tickets.

We created an itinerary and checked the airlines schedules. We then contacted an agent there and they purchased the tickets at a better rate than was available to us on the Internet. The agent met us at our first hotel and gave us the package of all our tickets and hotel reservations. They also looked after all the re-confirmations as the trip progressed. The agent we used was Shan Yoma
(http:/www.exploremyanmar.com/domestic-flight-fare.htm). There are several other recommended agents available.
Old May 2, 2012, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tagboy
We created an itinerary and checked the airlines schedules. We then contacted an agent there and they purchased the tickets at a better rate than was available to us on the Internet. The agent met us at our first hotel and gave us the package of all our tickets and hotel reservations. They also looked after all the re-confirmations as the trip progressed. The agent we used was Shan Yoma
(http:/www.exploremyanmar.com/domestic-flight-fare.htm). There are several other recommended agents available.
Thank you for the advice. I will contact the agent you recommended. Which airline did you end up flying on and how were the flights?
Old May 2, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
The internal airline you need and use, will depend on where you are going. Most tourist do the Yangon, Bagan then either up to Mandalay or down to the beach, so Air Bagan is alright. If you are of an inquisitive nature, check out the International fares ex Yangon. Most are to America, with odd ones to Europe Japan and Indonesia, but if First class fares for under 2K excite you, this is the place. If staying at the Strand or Gov Residence, the hotel can do them for the same prices we have found.
Old May 6, 2012, 9:38 am

I have heard many stories about the poor safety records of Myanmar airlines within the country. I would prefer to fly TG from BKK into RGN, and then maybe risk my life on a flight to Bagan. But minimise your time spent flying with 'local' airlines, that would be my advice.
Old May 6, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
I have heard many stories about the poor safety records of Myanmar airlines within the country. I would prefer to fly TG from BKK into RGN, and then maybe risk my life on a flight to Bagan. But minimise your time spent flying with 'local' airlines, that would be my advice.
Mostly those stories are about domestic Myanma Airways (note, not the same as Myanmar Airways International). The other domestics, not so much of a problem, though there are always lingering questions in my mind about maintenance. But unless you have a lot of time and can put up with uncertainty and/or some discomfort, domestic flights are the realistic option for most. And for getting to some places essential, as there are certain land routes that are completely closed to foreigners--although none on the standard Yangon-Bagan-Mandalay-Inle circuit.

Last edited by jiejie; May 6, 2012 at 11:25 am
Old May 6, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: most of them
all of my flights last year were on Air Bagan. they were fine. Most were not that full so no advance seat assignments were made. the Myanmar domestic aviation system is stuck in the 1970s. Paper tickets. Preprinted, no barcode baggage tags. No automated baggage systems.

I never felt particularly unsafe. And there is no easy, quick way to get around other than flying. There are several airlines, all flying relatively new ATR-72's for the most part. Air Bagan also has a Fokker 100 and a couple of ATR-42s in their fleet. The other main players seemed to be Air Mandalay, Yangon Airways, Air KBZ and Asian Wings. You need to pack your patience for airports there. Things are frequently late. Boarding is announced by someone holding up a sign so you have to pay attention. I flew Yangon-Sittwe, Sittwe-Yangon (via the beach), Yangon-Bagan, Bagan-Mandalay, Mandalay-Heho and Heho-Yangon.
rjh likes this.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1P, BA Silver
Originally Posted by glennaa11
I flew Yangon-Sittwe, Sittwe-Yangon (via the beach), Yangon-Bagan, Bagan-Mandalay, Mandalay-Heho and Heho-Yangon.
That's a lot of flying. Were you using this deal? http://www.airmandalay.com/promotion.php#two
Old May 7, 2012, 11:19 am

My flights were booked by my travel agent. It was all wrapped up in the price I paid them and not broken out as far as I can remember. I was on Air Bagan, not Air Mandalay anyway.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by kan148
That's a lot of flying. Were you using this deal? http://www.airmandalay.com/promotion.php#two
Of those routes, only the Bagan-Mandalay and Mandalay-Heho would be doable overland within the confines of an "average" 2-week visit. Anytime you put Sittwe on the itinerary, you've automatically got two extra flights in there. There is an arduous overland partly-unpaved road, but last I checked (admittedly a couple of years ago) it was not open to foreigners. Yangon to/from upcountry (Bagan, Heho, etc.) is not something I'd advise to most people who don't have at least 3 weeks in-country.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

I am a little worried about booking last minute as I want to fly the day after I arrive in the country. Does anyone have an agency recommendation?
Old May 8, 2012, 7:31 am

the local agent that handled my flights was EPG Travel www.epgtravel.com
Old May 16, 2012, 9:00 am
Original Poster

I'm considering flying Air Manadalay. I wonder if the prices change as we get closer to the date of travel or if they are fixed. Also, does anyone have experience with this airline?
Old May 16, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by jakesideas
I'm considering flying Air Mandalay. I wonder if the prices change as we get closer to the date of travel or if they are fixed. Also, does anyone have experience with this airline?
Flown all the airlines here, although mainly Air Bagan and Mandalay, planes are the same, leaving at the same time and with checkins they walk around the terminals with a board which says eg Manaday flightb boarding. Seems if one is full they book you on the other anyway. The fares don't alter, they are tiny 2 prop jobs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.