Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bali or Phuket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Bali or Phuket

I have never been to either and both seem to be amazing places. From what I have read Bali seems to be a little cheaper but Phukets beaches apparently are alot cleaner and better. Given the choice to spend a week and having never been to either destination...Where would you go in December? I saw people saying Bali's beaches aren't that good and its dirty.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Bali has a lot of beaches. Ours in Sanur was very clean and the stay was great.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 3:53 pm

Bali does NOT have a lot of beaches. Taking out the reefs (to make concrete) also took out the sand by erosion. There are some good beaches, but not many. If you want beaches go to Phuket. If you want to do anything else on your vacation go to Bali and I mean anything ! HKT is a bit of a cultural wasteland. Asia is way too far to fly just for beaches. There are better much closer to home. wj

Last edited by whackyjacky; Mar 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:05 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
there is info further down in travel & dining under destinations....you could also search this forum using bali pkuket & prob find quite a bit....
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Bali does NOT have a lot of beaches. Taking out the reefs (to make concrete) also took out the sand by erosion. There are some good beaches, but not many. If you want beaches go to Phuket. If you want to do anything else on your vacation go to Bali and I mean anything ! HKT is a bit of a cultural wasteland. Asia is way too far to fly just for beaches. There are better much closer to home. wj
There might be closer beaches at home but the audience is accordingly as well.

I personally avoid destinations like Hawaii, Maxico & the Caribbean completely for personal vacations to avoid American tourists. Besides that, these places have wonderful scenery and nature. Too bad..
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Weather-wise, Phuket is best in December/January and Bali in August, so on that basis, Phuket. Prices will be at their highest of the year, though.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Maxico & the Caribbean completely for personal vacations to avoid American tourists
not that hard to avoid "majority american" destinations there

and "americans are worst traveler" is such an outdated stereotype
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by clacko
there is info further down in travel & dining under destinations....you could also search this forum using bali pkuket & prob find quite a bit....
Yes, here's the link to Asia Forum.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:02 am

I personally avoid destinations like Hawaii, Maxico & the Caribbean completely for personal vacations to avoid American tourists. Besides that, these places have wonderful scenery and nature. Too bad..
There's no shortage of idiots at any major tourist area. Patong and Kuta are particularly vile and American tourists aren't the problem. wj
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:53 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
[Deleted as moot.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 12, 2012 at 3:09 pm Reason: Now moot.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Moving this thread to the Thailand forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Mar 12, 2012, 3:51 pm

So you'd rather go to Phuket and surround yourself with the Russians and sunburned Scandanavians?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
I saw people saying Bali's beaches aren't that good and its dirty.
I would take note of it, and avoid them. There are many beaches I do not go to, I dislike the rock/pebble beaches and also the black sand ones, and I would never ever go to Kuta with all those 17 year old, but all the others I love. I love the Sanur side, candi is great as is Lovina and all the ports up near the old Capital. Phuket is nice, but it does nothing for me.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by BKKROP
I would take note of it, and avoid them. There are many beaches I do not go to, I dislike the rock/pebble beaches and also the black sand ones, and I would never ever go to Kuta with all those 17 year old, but all the others I love. I love the Sanur side, candi is great as is Lovina and all the ports up near the old Capital. Phuket is nice, but it does nothing for me.
We were all over Lovina and saw only black sand. There was something I didn't like about the beach in Sanur. I think it was only swim-able at high high tide. A couple hrs a day max. In Candidasa we dove off a rock wall below the pool and it was great. We saw no sand at all. Rocks and pebbles only, everywhere. The only decent beach we experienced was in Nusa Dua at the Sheraton. Good beaches on the next island Lombok though. wj
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: various
This is true.

Originally Posted by RustyC
Weather-wise, Phuket is best in December/January and Bali in August, so on that basis, Phuket. Prices will be at their highest of the year, though.
This is also true.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
not that hard to avoid "majority american" destinations there

and "americans are worst traveler" is such an outdated stereotype
And so is this.

There's no shortage of idiots at any major tourist area. Patong and Kuta are particularly vile and American tourists aren't the problem. wj
Definitely true.

My take: Phuket is a big island and there is a beach for everyone. It will be packed out in December/January and it's not too early to make bookings now. My own preference is for one of the middle Andaman beaches such as Kamala, Bangtao or Nai Thon, all of which seem to have fewer idiots and definitely aren't rowdy boozing places. Or head up to Khao Lak. Expect lots and lots of Europeans on holiday both Phuket and Khao Lak.

Bali can be rainy during Dec-Feb; that said, I've been there in February rainy season and it wasn't too bad--mix of sun, overcast, and showers. But treat Bali as more of a primary cultural destination and secondary beach destination, rather than the other way 'round.

You may wish to consider a place like Langkawi off Malaysia's Andaman coast. It doesn't seem to get the aforementioned "idiots" which infest some of Phuket's beaches. Maybe a couple days in Penang (Georgetown) to get a flavor of Old SE Asia in the colonial days, then balance at Langkawi at the beach. Easily accessed from SIN or KUL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.