Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Argentine steak is now overrated (gasp)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by saint
When I started the trip the exchange rate was 16.4 pesos to $1 US and in just 5 weeks when I left it was over 18 pesos to $1 US so that should cause prices to continue to go up. It's hard to imagine how locals getting by on local peso salaries get by.
If inflation is such a problem (again), why is the dollar blue rate not returning?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:39 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by BOSTravels
If inflation is such a problem (again), why is the dollar blue rate not returning?
In Argentina, we have (sadly) a bi-monetary economic history in a way thats hard to explain to most visitors/foreigners. There is always (always has been) a dual market for ForEx transactions. The Blue Rate as a mainstream concept was coined during the most recent Dollar Clamp, which caused the spread between the formal and informal (blue) market exchange rate become abnormally large..... this informal market still exists, it never went away, but now the spreads are much smaller because the open market rate floats.

Unless you are counting every last penny and/or exchanging relatively large sums of cash, the current spread between the official and blue (informal) market will not be worth the hassle..... then again, each visitor should do his/her own math and decide whats best for each situation.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Quality issues are a different topic... and sadly, as Ive said before in this thread and others, the average quality of Beef in Argentina has been in a steady decline over the past 10 years. The good news is that this decline has now stopped, and with the resurgence of the local Cattle Industry we will see a (slow) but steady recovery in quality. Pricing will remain firm and I think will continue to climb, but I think this is a good thing as Cattle Farmers need to be profitable to sustain supply and quality.
Logic would tell me that there are steakhouses who know their steaks have declined in quality and will search out the "better meat" to serve to their clients.

If anyone has a particularly good experience in the next few months, please let us know. I'm headed back to BA, and I would love to buy an excellent steak dinner (and not spend a fortune). It sounds like La Brigada was decent, although it's a shame that their wine pricing isn't so good.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Comparing prices during periods of economic instability can lead to (very) false conclusions. Some visitors like to complain about how expensive Argentina is when compared to the 2001-2002 period.... but they either forget or fail to understand that pricing during that period was unreal.

Quality issues are a different topic... and sadly, as Ive said before in this thread and others, the average quality of Beef in Argentina has been in a steady decline over the past 10 years. The good news is that this decline has now stopped, and with the resurgence of the local Cattle Industry we will see a (slow) but steady recovery in quality. Pricing will remain firm and I think will continue to climb, but I think this is a good thing as Cattle Farmers need to be profitable to sustain supply and quality.

As for Chain Steakhouses.... well, Argentina doesnt have any of those.... and I thank the Lord for that.
Apart from your steakhouse chain comment I have to agree with what you say. The post peso dollar parity years definitely gave visitors a false sense of value when holidaying here. Before that Argentina was quite an expensive place to visit for many N American and European visitors however the quality was there.
Sadly, the quality in everything not just meat has declined for the price you pay, Even wine has been affected with bottom shelf Malbecs here now costing the same as middle shelf reds in the UK.

We're selling our free range grass fed herd next year. Despite our animals having a good reputation for quality the sums just don't add up. It was only a bit of fun for us but the hassles involved just aren't worth it. We can rent the land out instead then sit back and relax.
Gaucho100K likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold
In BA now, have been here for 11 days, leaving in 5. Have had amazing steak at Don Julio, and Calden del Soho on Malabia. One terrible steak experience at La Cabrera.
Gaucho100K likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I was sitting next to a Chileno on one of my flight segments down here and he was telling me about the asador he built at his house in Santiago. He was explaining how he used to buy his meat imported from Argentina, but stopped some time ago because the quality was so poor, and that the beef in Chile is much better in comparison.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I was sitting next to a Chileno on one of my flight segments down here and he was telling me about the asador he built at his house in Santiago. He was explaining how he used to buy his meat imported from Argentina, but stopped some time ago because the quality was so poor, and that the beef in Chile is much better in comparison.
Nice to know and I agree that the quality may be better in Chile, however the preparation is quite lacking compared to Argentina and Uruguay.. Uruguay is the place to eat Asado these days of the neighboring Countries in my opinion.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Chile beef is still all pasto.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Nice to know and I agree that the quality may be better in Chile, however the preparation is quite lacking compared to Argentina and Uruguay.. Uruguay is the place to eat Asado these days of the neighboring Countries in my opinion.
Does preparation really matter if it is "well prepared crap?"

That said, I'm going to enjoy expertly prepared Argentine road kill for dinner tonight.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Does preparation really matter if it is "well prepared crap?"

That said, I'm going to enjoy expertly prepared Argentine road kill for dinner tonight.
Funny.. Buen Provecho..
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Chile doesn't neighbor Uruguay, although they both neighbor Argentina. Of Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil, I'm still partial to Argentina and Uruguay.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Chile doesn't neighbor Uruguay, although they both neighbor Argentina. Of Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil, I'm still partial to Argentina and Uruguay.
Neighbor doesn't need to be adjacent to but it's nice to see that you are well over 84,000 posts. ;-)
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Neighbor doesn't need to be adjacent to but it's nice to see that you are well over 84,000 posts. ;-)
Like Nevada neighbors Washington (State), Uruguay neighbors Chile.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:49 pm

5 Best Steak Houses in BsAs according to WSJ

Best Steak Houses in BsAs according to WSJ:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-5-b...ide-1507826106

What do you think?

Last edited by Flying Machine; Oct 12, 2017 at 4:21 pm
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Best Steak Houses in BsAs according to WSJ:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-5-b...ide-1507826106

What do you think?
The WSJ is paywalled. Wanna just list the top five?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.