Argentine steak is now overrated (gasp)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Argentine steak is now overrated (gasp)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:17 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Seriously, I'm looking now for a trip in late August to Puerto Madryn. Thanks to this thread, I'm back on the Argentinian project.
Make sure you build in a few days in EZE. If you are going down to Madryn, then its best to build in your EZE stay at the end of your visit to the rest of the Country.

Keep us updated of your plans and post your questions !!!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:36 pm

Head to Patagonia

I go to Argentina once a year and lived there for many years in the 80s/90s. I like their beef but never thought it was any better than US beef, just much cheaper. The fillet mignon I buy at trader Joe's is superb (I don't know where it is from though). However, I've been going to Patagonia, Bariloche specifically, and the beef and game in that part of the country is really good. The food in general, including fruits are better in Patagonia. For some reason BA does not get the best of the best.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I agree that the average quality of Beef has gone down over the past 10-15 years. It is also true that the average quality of Fruits & Vegetables is not up to par with the 20 largest cities of OECD level nations. Fish and Seafood availability and quality is also very sub-par.... Pork is of excellent quality but we produce too little of it so its considered almost a "specialty" meat and is more expensive than Beef (which is strange when compared to most other places). Poultry is perhaps the only highlight, Argentina makes excellent quality chicken, and the top quality "premium" Eggs outstanding.

All the shortcomings will change gradually as Argentina transitions back to a normal economy and the country starts growing again.... it is not going to be an overnight improvement - these things take time.

I disagree that Buenos Aires does not have top quality foodstuffs. We dont have the level of variety that you will find in New York, Paris, or San Francisco, but there is the good stuff to be had. It depends on where you buy and what you are willing to spend (it can get very expensive very quickly). Where did you live during your days in Buenos Aires, and more importantly, where did you shop....?

Originally Posted by IAD1k
I go to Argentina once a year and lived there for many years in the 80s/90s. I like their beef but never thought it was any better than US beef, just much cheaper. The fillet mignon I buy at trader Joe's is superb (I don't know where it is from though). However, I've been going to Patagonia, Bariloche specifically, and the beef and game in that part of the country is really good. The food in general, including fruits are better in Patagonia. For some reason BA does not get the best of the best.

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Apr 29, 2017 at 1:50 pm
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I agree that the average quality of Beef has gone down over the past 10-15 years. It is also true that the average quality of Fruits & Vegetables is not up to par with the 20 largest cities of OECD level nations. Fish and Seafood availability and quality is also very sub-par.... Pork is of excellent quality but we produce too little of it so its considered almost a "specialty" meat and is more expensive than Beef (which is strange when compared to most other places). Poultry is perhaps the only highlight, Argentina makes excellent quality chicken, and the top quality "premium" Eggs outstanding.

All the shortcomings will change gradually as Argentina transitions back to a normal economy and the country starts growing again.... it is not going to be an overnight improvement - these things take time.

I disagree that Buenos Aires does not have top quality foodstuffs. We dont have the level of variety that you will find in New York, Paris, or San Francisco, but there is the good stuff to be had. It depends on where you buy and what you are willing to spend (it can get very expensive very quickly). Where did you live during your days in Buenos Aires, and more importantly, where did you shop....?
I agree the fish and seafood could be a lot better in quality and variety especially considering the price you have to pay. Thank goodness for Merluza is all I can say. I've just about done everything you possibly can with the fish...from cooking it British Fish n Chips style, making fish pie and even smoking it using apple/plum/lemon wood sawdust and it always turns out tasty. ^
Old May 21, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Good steak is not the only reason to go to Uruguay... they also have the perfect wine to go with it too. I have become slightly obsessed with Tannat from Uruguay, and it's very agreeably priced there too (not so much when bought here in Australia, unfortunately). While I love Argentinean wine, I personally agree with the writer of this Bloomberg article that Uruguayan Tannat is even better than Argentinian malbec for drinking with red meat.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Good steak is not the only reason to go to Uruguay... they also have the perfect wine to go with it too. I have become slightly obsessed with Tannat from Uruguay, and it's very agreeably priced there too (not so much when bought here in Australia, unfortunately). While I love Argentinean wine, I personally agree with the writer of this Bloomberg article that Uruguayan Tannat is even better than Argentinian malbec for drinking with red meat.
Talking about superiority of Uruguayan beef...Well have a look at this picture so see what they served us at Colonia del Sacramento.
Boooo...
Old May 22, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I'm trusting that Gaucho100K will have some satisfactory dead cow for us, since that's what we're coming for (+juice)
Old May 23, 2017, 9:53 am

I dont mean to start a cross border food fight with my brothers from Uruguay, but this Bloomberg writer is sort of Solo in her assessment. The Tannat grape is nowhere near the caliber of its Malbec equivalent, and its not just me saying this (and I have an obvious horse in this race), but I havent heard or read anything from any of the highly respected Critics & Wine Writers (including the large Wine Publications) that would have said anything even remotely similar to what is being stated in the quoted article.

Tannat is simply no match for Malbec... the international market is the best proof of this fact. Tannat doesnt even exist on the map... its a no contest. Malbec is now considered a peer to the other "established" grape varietals, Tannat doesnt even make up the pack of upcoming followers. Again, I dont want to bash the Uruguayan insignia grape, and I understand the resource of having an eye catching and provocative title to a general interest article.... but the concept is a little like an April Fools Joke.

And then there is the issue with "Chef Mallmann"... who has a long standing reputation for changing favorite grape (and wine label) more often than you swap out underpants... after all, its all about pleasing the wine producer you are currently getting your sponsorship check from, or....? With Francis, you just need to wait for a few months and you will find the next article where he will say that Merlot from the Uco Valley is the next Petrus, or that Malbec from Chile will rival that of Gualtallary. Francis is a great showman and an entretainer, but as a Wine Expert he makes a great cook !!!!!

Yes, Uruguay makes a good number of excellent wines, and a few of its old-vine Tannat can be very good (when its not over-extracted and Oaked to death), but to go as far as to say that Tannat is a serious rival to Malbec for red meat.... well, that is perhaps taking things a little too far.

Originally Posted by mad_atta

Last edited by Gaucho100K; May 23, 2017 at 10:02 am
Old May 23, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
A Few Other Perspectives on Tannat from Uruguay

I dont mean to start a cross border food fight with my brothers from Uruguay, but this Bloomberg writer is sort of Solo in her assessment. The Tannat grape is nowhere near the caliber of its Malbec equivalent, and its not just me saying this (and I have an obvious horse in this race), but I havent heard or read anything from any of the highly respected Critics & Wine Writers (including the large Wine Publications) that would have said anything even remotely similar to what is being stated in the quoted article.

Tannat is simply no match for Malbec... the international market is the best proof of this fact. Tannat doesnt even exist on the map... its a no contest. Malbec is now considered a peer to the other "established" grape varietals, Tannat doesnt even make up the pack of upcoming followers. Again, I dont want to bash the Uruguayan insignia grape, and I understand the resource of having an eye catching and provocative title to a general interest article.... but the concept is a little like an April Fools Joke.

And then there is the issue with "Chef Mallmann"... who has a long standing reputation for changing favorite grape (and wine label) more often than you swap out underpants... after all, its all about pleasing the wine producer you are currently getting your sponsorship check from, or....? With Francis, you just need to wait for a few months and you will find the next article where he will say that Merlot from the Uco Valley is the next Petrus, or that Malbec from Chile will rival that of Gualtallary. Francis is a great showman and an entretainer, but as a Wine Expert he makes a great cook !!!!!

Yes, Uruguay makes a good number of excellent wines, and a few of its old-vine Tannat can be very good (when its not over-extracted and Oaked to death), but to go as far as to say that Tannat is a serious rival to Malbec for red meat.... well, that is perhaps taking things a little too far.
Here are a few other perspectives on Tannat from Uruguay. Read on for additional information:

http://www.bodegasdeluruguay.com.uy/entrevistas/

I personally like to pair Tannat with Lamb but I digress..

Update: This nice read just came in today via one of my Wine Subscriptions:

http://www.spiritedbiz.com/introducing-tannat/

And today 5/25/17 from Decanter!

http://www.decanter.com/wine-news/op...w-jura-367627/

Last edited by Flying Machine; May 25, 2017 at 2:14 pm
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Has anyone else noticed that the beef tastes better in Mendoza. I have noticed all sorts of butcher shops all around the city and its environs. I typically have an Asado at a Winery when we are conducting an extended tasting. These Asados are small Family affairs where one typically picks up the meat at a local butcher, some make the salads and others bring different items like breads, sweets etc.. All roasted low and slow over aged fallen vines. Okay, this is my typical association with the beef in Mendoza other then the occasional jaunt to a local steakhouse like Don Mario (I like the older location) So why is it so much better than I find in the Steakhouses in BsAs? Thanks and Happy eating (PD the Lomitos at the small place run by the ex boxer is sublime.. Barloa)

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jun 1, 2017 at 11:28 pm
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Has anyone else noticed that the beef tastes better in Mendoza. I have noticed all sorts of butcher shops all around the city and its environs. I typically have an Asado at a Winery when we are conducting an extended tasting. These Asados are small Family affairs where one typically picks up the meat at a local butcher, some make the salads and others bring different items like breads, sweets etc.. All roasted low and slow over aged fallen vines. Okay, this is my typical association with the beef in Mendoza other then the occasional jaunt to a local steakhouse like Don Mario (I like the older location) So why is it so much better than I find in the Steakhouses in BsAs? Thanks and Happy eating (PD the Lomitos at the small place run by the ex boxer is sublime.. Barloa)
Personally, I didn't really find the beef better in Mendoza. When we arrived in Mendoza at dinnertime from Chile, we thought it logical to go out for steak. The steakhouse we were thinking of eating at was closed, so we went across the street from the Hyatt to La Lucia. It was exceptionally mediocre. We then had a few other good-but-not-exceptional steaks in the area, until finally being made happy at La Azul. I'm not sure if their steak quality was actually better. It may have been the preparation, or perhaps the gorgeous setting. Or all the wine.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Personally, I didn't really find the beef better in Mendoza. When we arrived in Mendoza at dinnertime from Chile, we thought it logical to go out for steak. The steakhouse we were thinking of eating at was closed, so we went across the street from the Hyatt to La Lucia. It was exceptionally mediocre. We then had a few other good-but-not-exceptional steaks in the area, until finally being made happy at La Azul. I'm not sure if their steak quality was actually better. It may have been the preparation, or perhaps the gorgeous setting. Or all the wine.
In my opinion most of the restaurants within walking distance of the Hyatt are extremely mediocre..
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Chorizo I like but the dogs get the other bits mentioned.
Argenitine woman, Argentine land, Argentine cattle and Argentine wine, and yet the sheep from Scotland are missed?

You can take the Scotsman out of Scotland but not the Scot out of the Scotsman, but what does an Argentine and Scotsman do when in Scotland and longing for a decent asado? Cut back to Argentina?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:11 pm

James Suckling is now impressed..

To add to my prior post, James Suckling is now impressed:

Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:45 am

Good timing, FlyingMachine.... I had a meeting with the Sales Director that distributes Garzon and amongst the wines we opened was the SV Albarinio - which I found very good. Im happy to be able to source a proper Albarinio close to home and not have to buy the stuff brought in from Europe.... ^

Still hold my position on Tannat, though.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.