Community
Wiki Posts
Search

March 7 Transportation Strike

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:00 am
Original Poster

March 7 Transportation Strike

24 hour transport strike planned by GTE.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who is "GTE," and what does this mean for Argentine visitors?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

CGT (sorry, got it wrong in the first post) is the association of major transport unions in Argentina.

It means, unless the strike is cancelled, no public transportation, including air, bus and train. However, during a similiar 24 hour strike last year, many (but not all ) international flights landed in BA because management workers pitched in. In the last strikes, overnight buses did not leave the evening before and many bus routes did not start up again until later in the morning after. Not much you can do, unless you can reschedule around these time, but be aware and as flexible as possible.

Last edited by David Beach; Mar 1, 2017 at 9:09 pm
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:15 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
The stike is still on, however, the ultimate outcome and effect on visitors will not be that important. Taxis will still be working, as many cars are driven by the owners and because many buses will not operate, Taxis have a field-day with added demand. Remise services will also be operating as normal.

I would take things with a pinch of salt if you are a visitor and are here during the date of this, I think that the long distance bus service is the only thing that will almost certainly be disrupted, as well as a good part of the domestic airline services - but even this will depend on last minute negotiations.... stay tuned.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Glad I'll be in the countryside that day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.