Wiki Posts
Search

Planning a trip to Argentina

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Unfortunately, they have a terrible schedule making it impossible to get from IGR to USH in one day, and they don't even operate a flight out of USH on the date we need.

Thanks, I'll check out that thread. If they can guarantee a flat bed for next March, it's a definite possibility.
I doubt it - they are still selling F to end-of-schedule. I'd bet these are amongst the last routes with reconfigured aircraft.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
My wife and I are going to Argentine / Antarctica in Dec. We'll arrive USH on Dec. 6. Antarctica tour from Dec. 7 to Dec. 18.

We'll arrive EZE on Dec. 18 5pm, and international flight back to the States from EZE on Dec. 22 11pm. We haven't thought much about what to do with this 4 days/4 nights. I wonder if it's feasible to squeeze in IGR? Is it too tight/too little time in EZE?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by allanfan
I wonder if it's feasible to squeeze in IGR? Is it too tight/too little time in EZE?
It's definitely feasible - it just depends on what you like to do.

And since I started this thread, I'll update it with our current itinerary. We now have
  • 2 nights in Santiago (hotel tbd)
  • 2 nights in Buenos Aires (hotel tbd)
  • 3 nights in Iguazü Falls (Sheraton)
  • 1 night in Ushuaia (Albatross)
  • 11 nights on the ship
  • 1 night in Buenos Aires (hotel tbd)
We still don't have our return fully booked (no Business Class inventory on EZE-IAH and only one seat on EZE-SCL), but everything else looks good.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Jul 19, 2014 at 8:18 am
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:20 am
Suspended

And since I started this thread, I'll update it with our current itinerary. We now have
  • 2 nights in Santiago
  • 2 nights in Buenos Aires
  • 3 nights in Iguazü Falls
  • 1 night in Ushuaia
  • 11 nights on the cruise
  • 1 night in Buenos Aires
What are you planning to do in Santiago? IMHO, that's either too little time there, or too much. By that I mean that there isn't too much to do in Santiago itself - but many things, such as wine touring, or hiking in the Andes, or going to the beach, to do if Santiago is simply the base for excursions out of the city - in which case 2 days is not enough.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
What are you planning to do in Santiago?
Nothing planned yet. We've never been there, but that was the only available routing we could find with lie-flat seats from North America. When United announced the route, there was plenty of award availability so we booked it. (Still nothing on the IAH-EZE non-stop, and not really expecting any to open up.)
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
What are you planning to do in Santiago? IMHO, that's either too little time there, or too much. By that I mean that there isn't too much to do in Santiago itself - but many things, such as wine touring, or hiking in the Andes, or going to the beach, to do if Santiago is simply the base for excursions out of the city - in which case 2 days is not enough.
It is not hard to fill up two days in Santiago and is not even close to "too much time." Between a visit to the Pueblito de los Dominicos, a lunch at the Mercado Central, a visit to La Moneda and the Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino, a trip up Cerro San Cristobal (and I could go on), a few days in Santiago can be a very nice time.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:40 pm

• 2 nights in Santiago (hotel tbd)
  • 2 nights in Buenos Aires (hotel tbd)
  • 3 nights in Iguazü Falls (Sheraton)
  • 1 night in Ushuaia (Albatross)
  • 11 nights on the ship
  • 1 night in Buenos Aires (hotel tbd)
We still don't have our return fully booked (no Business Class inventory on EZE-IAH and only one seat on EZE-SCL), but everything else looks good.
Hi,

My wife and I are planning to travel to South America to attend a conference in Uruguay next september. So currently in the planning stage.

I would love to go to the Antarctic but i am afraid my wife ( and myself) suffer from seasickness)

I am looking at award flights on Oneworld airlines using qantas points and looking at dates a few months earlier than I am travelling . Just to work out some potential itineraries.

I am having trouble finding any seats at anytime between SCL and EZE and vv
and
between SCL and Easter island.

You mentioned your problem with the former sectors - is is some local LA block or did you find seats on some days but not others or just almost none at all.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozflier
You mentioned your problem with the former sectors - is is some local LA block or did you find seats on some days but not others or just almost none at all.
I haven't really looked at LA at all for this sector due to award cost (plus, our main award is *A), but I see a ton of availaility on lan.com. Perhaps they just don't release those seats to OW or QF is blocking?

AC, on the other hand, is odd in that the seat is available using Mileage Plus miles but not using Aeroplan.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 7:16 pm

Thank you for that.

I rang QFF today and found out, that yes SCL-EZE is an allowable routings for awards but

LAN award seat release to QFF is either very limited or taken the minute they are released.

I was able, believe it or not, to find economy and business award class seats for that route on the 15 july 2014 - I'm guessing 330 days out !

So they are not impossible just extremely unlikely to become available.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

I was able, believe it or not, to find economy and business award class seats for that route on the 15 july 2014 - I'm guessing 330 days out !
You mean 2015? That would be 360 days out.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:54 am

You mean 2015? That would be 360 days out.

Oops.

Yes I did mean 2015 and in fact it was 15 june 2015 that I found them - now gone.

Again today 22 july ( Australian time) I can find Y award seats SCL to from Easter Island on 17 june 2015.

So it looks like they disappear within days of their release.

Last edited by ozflier; Jul 22, 2014 at 12:56 am Reason: poor grammar
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

So it looks like they disappear within days of their release.
Since there aren't too many ways to get to Easter Island, I can't say I'm surprised.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
LAN will remove those seats after 1 or 2 days (for OW partners), grab it 330/331 days in advance and you will not have any problem, otherwise you will have to check every day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.