Wiki Posts
Search

Trip to Argentina via EZE - family with children

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 6:57 am
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Once again, it is NOT a visa. It is simply a fee - we (USA) are charged $160 to enter Argentina, because this is what the USA charges Argentines to apply for a US Visa. It is not a visa. It is not a visa. It is an entry fee.

You need a Brazil visa to go to the other side of the falls. Family of 4? $640 for Brazil (plus the hassle of getting the visas) plus $640 for Argentina.

You do not need a visa as a tourist to visit Argentina. You need to pay a fee.
Is this not the same as a visa-on-arrival? They reserve the right to not let you in, after all, even if never / almost never enforced.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by NPF
Is this not the same as a visa-on-arrival? They reserve the right to not let you in, after all, even if never / almost never enforced.
That has nothing to do with the fee. Any country has the right to refuse your entrance whether or not a visa is required, and can even refuse you entry if a visa is required and you have one.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Since I see you are a Starwood Platinum, The Iguazu Sheraton is absolutley outstanding as is the one in downtown Buenos Aires. I have stopped in them both.
Just to clarify, you are talking about the main Sheraton and not the Sheraton Libertador, correct?
Old May 26, 2012, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by dfwflyguy
Hello FT Experts,
I am planning to take a trip to South America. For my trip I am planning to go to Buenos Aries. Also I am planning to visit Iguassu Water falls(IGR) in Argentina and also go to the southern part of Argentina to El Calafete (FTE).
Have any one done this trip ? I am planning this trip with my family. My kids are 6 and 7 Years old. They can do hiking as we have done couple of hikes so far.

Please give me some suggestions.

Thanks.
It might be hard to see both north and south of Argentina as it is the eight largest country in the world in land area. It is pretty well spread out.

I definitely recommend Iguazu. Brazil side has better photos but that's because you aren't immersed in the falls like you are on the Argentine side. We only spent 2 nighs in Iguazu, 1 full day and 2 half days, to walk around the entire park with my brother. We saw everything but we walk rather fast.

You are bringing your kids so I would set about 3 full days in the park depending on how interested you are in being there. It is a massive park and has tons of amazing falls and critters to see during your stay.

With children you would also prefer to take planes to get around the different provinces. The Bed Bus that is popular in Argentina are a nice product but they eat up a lot of your time you could spend at your destinations.

I took them three times and they are comfortable as long as you avoid the bottom level and don't mind spending the extra hours traveling.

Calafate is a good choice as well, tons of trekking and outdoors stuff. A good change from crowded city life of Buenos Aires.

If you have BA Avios, or AMEX MR to transfer, I would consider this. You can get IGR-AEP for 15k miles instead of paying ~$330 per person.

Good Luck and enjoy your trip.
Old May 27, 2012, 9:28 am

We did this trip after Christmas last year. We flew AA into EZE and spent a week in Buenos Aires. Then we flew to El Calafate for 3 days and back to Iguazu for the last 3 days. The flights within Argentina were long. To get from El Calafate to Iguazu, we had to fly back through BA. We flew home from Sao Paolo Brazil.

My family loved BA and El Calafate but not so much Iguazu. We had intended to see the falls from both sides but after the first day on the Argentine side, no one wanted to go back. It was super hot in January and super crowded. The main lookout points were so packed that it wasn't fun, just claustrophobic. We did, however, enjoy a nice day of swimming at our pool.

El Calafate was absolutely amazing. I wish we had more time there. We did a boat trip and an ice trekking day. The town is charming, think ski resort area in the US.

Our week in BA was just enough. We walked alot, ate alot, saw the tango, visited just about every museum and had a New Years Eve to remember.

Deb
Old May 28, 2012, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT
Thank you all so very much. Based on all your replies here is what i am planning to do..

Arrive in EZE and stay couple of days then go to IGR ( Argentina side) . I am not planning to go to Brazil side of the falls( Because of the visa issues). Stay 4 days and 3 nights in the Sheraton Iguazu falls . Also planning to do the hikes. Then book a flight from IGR to FTE and stay there 5 nights ( I still need to plan the trip, stays and tours) . Then come back to EZE and stay 3 days and get back to Dallas.

Any suggestions on stays in El Calafete and Tour trips ?

Thanks a bunch.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

You might contact the Sheraton Iguazu Falls re: easy ways to visit the Brazilian side, like booking a car with driver over there. The view from the Brazilian side is super.

In BsAs, I recommend taking the free walking tours offered by these folks, one in the morning which takes in the government buildings, the other in the afternoon which visits the Recoleta area and some of the beautiful architecture. Buenos Aires Free Tour These would probably work well with the kids, as you could just drop out of the walk if they get tired - total distance about 1.5 miles each walk. TripAdvisor

Last edited by Doc Savage; May 28, 2012 at 5:14 pm
Old May 29, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AA 1MM LT Gold, *wood Plat
Trip to Argentina via EZE - family with children

Just finishing up my 7 days in BA and IGR. Will put up a post my experiences over the next few days. Three nights and four days in Iguazu especially if you aren't crossing over to the Brazilian side may be a bit too much IMHO. Even with kids unless they are really young.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by dfwflyguy
Any suggestions on stays in El Calafete and Tour trips ?
The tours are limited. For example, there is only one company that does the trekking tours. They are wonderful but there are age limitations.

www.hieloyaventura.com

There are a couple of companies that do boat trips, hikes, etc.

http://www.interpatagonia.com/elcalafate/paseos_i.html

We chose to stay in a 3br cottage so our family would all be together. You will find various options at tripadvisor.com. We stayed at Blanca Patagonia. The 3br cottage was lovely but not walking distance to town. Still, the price was right.

http://blancapatagonia.com/

Deb
Old May 30, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Are you going to use any miles for your trip?, you can do (with 16 days)

DFW-SCL(AA)-MDZ(LA) for 20k/50K AA miles(J/Y), spend 2 night in MDZ and avoid the fee

MDZ-IGR with AR($) (Aerolineas Argentinas), spend 3 nights

IGR-AEP-USH with AR ($) or LAN Argentina (6k AA miles), spend 2 nights

USH-FTE with AR ($) or LAN Argentina (6k AA miles), spend 3 nights (or 4)

FTE-REL with AR ($), spend 2 nights (whales/penguins)

REL-AEP with AR ($), spend 4 nights

or with 14 days

DFW-EZE-USH 2N AA/LA
USH-FTE 3N LA or AR
FTE-REL 2N AR
REL-IGR 3N AR
IGR-AEP 4N LA or AR
EZE-DFW AA
Old May 30, 2012, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fedechat
Are you going to use any miles for your trip?, you can do (with 16 days)

DFW-SCL(AA)-MDZ(LA) for 20k/50K AA miles(J/Y), spend 2 night in MDZ and avoid the fee

MDZ-IGR with AR($) (Aerolineas Argentinas), spend 3 nights

IGR-AEP-USH with AR ($) or LAN Argentina (6k AA miles), spend 2 nights

USH-FTE with AR ($) or LAN Argentina (6k AA miles), spend 3 nights (or 4)

FTE-REL with AR ($), spend 2 nights (whales/penguins)

REL-AEP with AR ($), spend 4 nights

or with 14 days

DFW-EZE-USH 2N AA/LA
USH-FTE 3N LA or AR
FTE-REL 2N AR
REL-IGR 3N AR
IGR-AEP 4N LA or AR
EZE-DFW AA
Thank you for your suggestion.
No I am booking the ticket with AA / LAN . My total fare is coming around 6.6K.
Does it worth to book the flight using miles ? I wont be able to do 16 dat trip. I would need to pull my kids for a week to do this.
What is the REL Airport ? Any other things i should know ..
Old May 30, 2012, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cst2Cst
Just finishing up my 7 days in BA and IGR. Will put up a post my experiences over the next few days. Three nights and four days in Iguazu especially if you aren't crossing over to the Brazilian side may be a bit too much IMHO. Even with kids unless they are really young.
Even though i have 3 nights and 4 days I only have 2 full days there in IGR. So i thought it would be good to do the hike to the falls or do what ever can be done in the area.

I am also going to ask the hotel to see i can get any guided tour to the brazil side with out too much hassle.

Thanks.
Old May 31, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
If is 6.6k for the international flights only, using miles is a better deal because it will cost you 40k R/T (4 cpm) but AA is not releasing many AASaver for EZE (only few).

REL is Trelew, you take a Bus to Puerto Madryn and then decide for whales or penguins , November is a good month ^
Old May 31, 2012, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

but AA is not releasing many AASaver for EZE (only few).
You can say that again....never seen AASaver availability so bad.

However they do seem to release more seats closer to departure....7 seats available to MIA from here on both the 12/13th June. Tuesdays and Wednesdays seem to be the best days.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

If is 6.6k for the international flights only, using miles is a better deal because it will cost you 40k R/T (4 cpm) but AA is not releasing many AASaver for EZE (only few).

REL is Trelew, you take a Bus to Puerto Madryn and then decide for whales or penguins , November is a good month ^
6.6K for the whole trip ( 2 adults and 2 kids)
DFW -EZE-AEP-IGR-AEP-FTE-AEP (EZE)-DFW

I thought it was a better deal.. anyway i have booked the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.