Wiki Posts
Search

Visa Reciprocity fee to start December 20, 2009

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2009, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by iahphx
Has anyone gotten a new passport solely for the purpose of buying more entry time for situations like this? Like say I have an adult passport that expires in 2 years. If I think I'll be making multiple trips to Argentina, it probably pays to start with a new passport before my first trip. Is the US State Department OK with this?
The double-edged sword. My passport expires mid 2011, which means, practically, I'll need a new one in early 2011. I have a Chile receipt, which I got in late 2001, for $61. It has about 15 entries. I get another one in 13 days, and another late 2010. It doesn't make sense to get a new passport for 2 new $131 fees now, as opposed to only 1 $131 and 2 $131s in a year and half, plus 1 year less on a passport, plus expedite fees and time, as this was announced with what, 9 days' notice (which is 7 more days' notice than suspending daylight time).

It is one of those "it isn't fair, it isn't right, and it isn't going to materially affect my life" so I'm not going to stress about it too much" items. It is more like "I hope I'm near first off the plane so I can pay this crap quickly and not wait in line".
Old Dec 18, 2009, 11:49 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
So if I understand correctly these countries are targeted because they charge Agentinians a visa fee to enter?
Old Dec 19, 2009, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by kitsura
So if I understand correctly these countries are targeted because they charge Agentinians a visa fee to enter?
Yes, that's what reciprocity means

If you check out the link to the migraciones website in post #1, it is all explained there in both Spanish and English
Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
EDIT: found my answer
Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Seems we Canadians and Australians will have to purchase a new visa each time we enter the country, and that unlike the US it will not be valid for up to 10-years (the life of a US passport).
Interesting that the DNM website only has the una entrada/single entry annotation next to the Canadian fee and not next to the Australian or USA fees. Surprising in that Chile charges Australians each time for a stamp valid for 90 days. Does anyone have any further information as to whether Aussies will be charged per entry or per passport?

$US100 per 10 years I could stomach. $100 everytime I stop in BA (3 times a year) for 4 or 5 days on the way home from Brasil would probably cause me to spend 4 or 5 days more in Brasil.

Its also interesting that Chile charges Australians $US61 for a 90 day stamp, Argentina will charge $US100 for ? a life of passport stamp and Brasil has recently decreased the 90 day validity visa fee for Australians to $AU49 ($US44) yet they all claim them on the basis of reciprocity. As far as i'm aware, Australia charges pretty much the same visa application fee to all these countries.

Also in case anyone missed it, Chile is now levying a $US30 reciprocity fee on Albanians - remember, you saw it here first!
Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Perhaps the part that irritates me the most about this is the timing --

Yes, we all knew it was potentially in the works. But nobody knew when. Then to announced the fee would be collected starting in 11 days is just ridiculous. (Dec 9 announcement, for Dec 20 collection). And then we can talk about the timing of it -- obviously targeted to hit those on Christmas vacations. Why not start it on Jan 1, 2010, and have a nice clean break?

So for those clamoring about how 'reciprocity is fair', show me one time that the US changed their fee structure with 11 days notice......
Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
Perhaps the part that irritates me the most about this is the timing --

Yes, we all knew it was potentially in the works. But nobody knew when. Then to announced the fee would be collected starting in 11 days is just ridiculous. (Dec 9 announcement, for Dec 20 collection). And then we can talk about the timing of it -- obviously targeted to hit those on Christmas vacations. Why not start it on Jan 1, 2010, and have a nice clean break?

So for those clamoring about how 'reciprocity is fair', show me one time that the US changed their fee structure with 11 days notice......
Or you could look at it this way: the fee was first supposed to start at the beginning of 2009 and that was delayed so we almost got a one year reprieve. This is typical of how things get done in this part of the world
Old Dec 19, 2009, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure the Argentines keep accurate count, but I would think that a $131 entry fee would reduce American tourism by 10 to 15%. Not huge, but a significant tourism hit.

If that's the case, when you factor in the lost revenue, is Argentina better off or worse off collecting the fee?

If you were a policymaker, I would think it was this bottomline number you'd be most concerned about.

That is, of course, if you were willing to endure the "hard feelings" caused by what seems like a usurious tax on tourists. While the US fee is arguably too high, at least there's a reason for it -- it does cost money to do background checks on visitors. This is just a cash grab, or perhaps a stupid reaction to feeling "slighted" by the Norteamericanos. It will be interesting to read Gaucho's report in a year whether his wine sales to Americans has declined.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 2:54 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage, Aerolineas Plus, Hertz, Hyatt, Marriott , SPG.
So sorry about the new fee.

I had to pay the $131 fee twice this year to the US embassy in Buenos Aires, to be able to enter the US.

Actually, the US embassy fee, it's not $131, it is:

$15 = phone call to make an appointment for the visa interview
$131= for the visa interview
Approx $11, after the visa was granted, to have my passport mailed to me.

I had to do it twice: first in July for a 4 days visit to the US in September, and now again, earlier this month, for a next visit (visa was granted both times, luckily this last time it is valid for 10 years).

So, the US embassy got $314 from me within 4 months. It hurts, yes I did it because most countries I want to visit in the future, most routes are convenient when stopping or connecting in the US. Let's say it was a fee to visit other beautiful places, cities and countries.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Per the Migraciones web site, evidently not. Maybe Canada only issues one-use visas while the U.S. issues 10 year ones? Canadian do get off lightly as Chile charges USD 125 for the reciprocity fee.

The Argentinean embassy in Canada helpfully (being facetious) doesn't have the reciprocity fee info posted.
Canada issues (for visitors) two types of visas: 1 entry visas and multiple entries visas. The multiple entries visa is more expensive that the 1 use visa. Both can be valid for 6 months up to 5 five years or until the passport is valid. If the passport expires in one year, you can get a one year valid visa only, no matter if you pay for the multiple entries/more expensive one.

At the same time, the US visitor visas are: one single entry and multiple, valid from 6 months up to 10 years. Both cost the same, and also the 10 years valid visas are valid for that period of time. If your passport expires, you can still enter the country with new passport + the old passport with visa. As I said before, considering the phone call fee for the appointment, and the cost of mailing your passport back to you, it ends up costing approx. $157, so the argentinian "visa" is cheaper than the US one.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:47 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
Frustrating...I'm moving to Buenos Aires on Jan 2nd to go to the Universidad de Buenos Aires. The Argentine Consulate's advice for students is to enter as a tourist, then come in to get a student visa.

Obviously now it would be much better to try to arrange my visa in advance, but I'm doubtful I could do it with less than 2 weeks till my departure...the requirements aren't even clear, it seems they require varying amounts of documentation depending on your nationality, program, etc. Probably just whatever the immigration case officer feels like requesting.

Does anyone have an idea of whether this fee would still apply if I could get a student visa? Or how quickly I might be able to get a visa processed by an Argentine consulate in the US? EDIT - Actually now that I read the info again it seems it wouldn't be possible to obtain in advance. They won't allow me to enroll except in person, and a letter of enrollment is required for the visa.

I guess I can just hope they're delayed a week or two in starting collection. Entirely possible given the holiday season...
Old Dec 20, 2009, 5:30 am

It's now 9:30 AM on Dec. 20. Has anyone been charged this fee yet?
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I find that interesting. And I say that as someone who is going to pay a fee in 2 weeks and another fee in 2011 with my new passport, as well as a new Chile fee in 2011. Where are you going to go? The $70 is the price of a few high potency drinks in Canadia. Oh wait? There aren't high potency drinks in Canadia. You will "earn back" your fee in about 2 bottles of nice wine going out to eat. Maybe you will go to Europe where you don't pay a fee? That will save you bundles, if you don't eat and sleep on the street. I don't like these fees. I think they are stupid right now, but I understand them. Yes, it appears that the Canadi<ns were particularly screwed in this deal, but Argentina remains a good vacation value, and you will cut off your schvantz to spite your significant other's concha. (How's that for ***blocker posting in a multi-lingual manner!)

I'll spend my money next door in Chile and Uruguay. In Chile I get a multi-visit visa that lasts for the life of my passport. I can then fly non-stop on LAN or PLUNA to MVD and enjoy an even cheaper vacation and meals, and get a sales tax rebate credited directly to my credit card account! This is an opportunity for Uruguay to syphon thousands of visitors from Argentina if they play their cards right.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel
It's now 9:30 AM on Dec. 20. Has anyone been charged this fee yet?
According to an Argentinian newspaper, this is gonna start on January 1st, then nobody should be charged the fee until New Years Day.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I'll spend my money next door in Chile and Uruguay. In Chile I get a multi-visit visa that lasts for the life of my passport. I can then fly non-stop on LAN or PLUNA to MVD and enjoy an even cheaper vacation and meals, and get a sales tax rebate credited directly to my credit card account! This is an opportunity for Uruguay to syphon thousands of visitors from Argentina if they play their cards right.
With due respect and no offence meant, you are too cheap or poor to let these governments issues (the US, Canadian, Australian or Argentinian depending on where you are from) prevent you to enjoy a wonderful vacation trip in a wonderful country. Uruguay is a small country, one city famous because of its beaches (Punta del Este) and a medium size city (Montevideo), no much, nice people but not more than a plain landscape. And Chile is not Argentina.

Argentina has different regions and provinces, outstanding landscapes and picturesque villages, lakes, giant glaciers and woods, cascades, rapids and waterfalls in Iguazu, the legendary landscape of Patagonia, sierras, rivers, beaches, and the intense cultural activity and busy nightlife in Buenos Aires...

Really, when making a trip to South America, especially if you are visiting these two close countries you mention (Chile and Uruguay) you can't miss Argentina. It is worth every cent it costs. I understand you are upset but there are so many ways to save money on a trip to Argentina, you'll never notice the $70 or $131 fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.